iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dad

Started by gjersy, April 09, 2013, 04:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjersy

My Dad Kenneth Gjerseth got killed in the woods, he was 69. Mom called at 7:30pm, last night, hysterically crying for me to come to the woods, I cut the tree off him but he was already dead. He was a pro logger all his life, he just had a hip replacement in Feb. He needed 3 cord to finish a pulp load off, I told him to get it off my job this week. He's a stubborn fella, I didn't know he was cutting it. He was limited because of the hip and he needed a knee replacement also, this slowed him down, but he still worked hard everyday. He sold his tree processor 2years ago and continued to truck and skid. He said he'd work till he died, some guys like fishing for retirement, but he liked logging lol. He was going to train my 13yr old boy Ricky on the forwarder this summer, just like he taught me. He'll be missed could use a few prayers, thanks.   Mark.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

CTL logger

Sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

beenthere

gjersey
Very sorry to hear this, and with our prayers for you and family, may he rest in piece.  Sounds like he died doing what he said he wanted to be doing when he died. Tragic just the same.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wwsjr

Sorry for you loss, prayers for you and your family.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Woodhauler

VERY SORRY !!  He died doing what he LOVED TO DO! I am sure you will still teach your son all the things your dad taught you!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

David-L

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like your dad was a true woodsman, right till the end. Prayers.

David L
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Gasawyer

Sorry for your loss.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Bibbyman

You have my condolences.  I lost my Dad a few months back. But he went quietly at almost 95. But he logged most of his life and much of it alone.  He still cut firewood up in his early 80s. We worried a lot. 

I'll be 63 here in a few months Mary and I are cutting a few otherwise worthless trees around the field edged to make blocking. Logging is not a job for an old man!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

gjersy

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts guys, i'm not getting a wink of sleep all night i keep playing that horrible scene in my head of Dad under that tree. Yes he did love his job, thanks again.

Stephen Alford

Condolences to you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are for you and your family.
logon

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: gjersy on April 09, 2013, 06:59:36 AM
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts guys, i'm not getting a wink of sleep all night i keep playing that horrible scene in my head of Dad under that tree. Yes he did love his job, thanks again.

Find a picture of him smiling and remember him that way.......

Sorry for your loss.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MEloggah

that's a shame. never like hearing stories like this.

WH_Conley

Sorry for your loss.
Bill

ND rancher

Mark, so sorry to read of your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.Remember the good times you had together!        Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Corley5

Sorry for loss  :( :( :(  He died with his boots on.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

54Dutchman

Sorry to hear of your loss; I really do not know what to say.

deastman

So sorry, our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

barbender

I'm so sorry for your loss, I don't know what else to say :(
Too many irons in the fire

Woodboogah

So sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers with your family.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

DigDug

So sorry for your loss,   I cannot even imagine it.   He was a worker and enjoyed logging good for him.

WmFritz

Tragic... Sorry for your loss.

Bill
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Tim Lea

sorry to hear this praying for u and ur family..

thecfarm

That is just awful to hear. The memory of you finding him like that would bother any one. It's too bad that he won't be able to train your 13 year old son on the forwarder. I cut firewood with my Father my whole life. He wanted to get into logging at age 70. He use to log many years ago,on a small scale,but knew what he was doing. We brought a tractor and a 3 pt hitch winch and started cutting white pine on this land. I must say that really was a fun 3-4 years. He died of cancer long before it was all cut. I do wished he would of started sooner. He did have a good time doing it and I use to ride the fender of the tractor and listen to stories about The Farm. Memories is all we have of the ones that are gone. Good luck to you and your family and a special prayer for your Mother.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ABTS

Sorry to hear about your loss . My thoughts are with you .

HiTech

So sad, my prayers and thoughts for you and your family. May he rest in piece.

justallan1

Very sorry for you and your families loss, Mark.
Sounds like he enjoyed life to the end.
Allan

Red Clay Hound

Sorry for your loss Mark.  As the others have said, at least he died doing what he loved.  You and your Mom are in my thoughts and prayers.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Sprucegum

It was a horrible scene from your point of view but from his point of view it was where he wanted to be. Try to think of it that way.

Jay C. White Cloud

:(
You will hold my deepest prayers this day...seek peace that he lives on in all of you.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

rooster 58

Very sorry to hear of your tragic loss. Prayers to you and your family

clww

I am distraught to hear about your Dad's passing and your family's loss. You created a great picture of him in your post, and he apparently passed "living life" to the utmost. My prayers go out to you, your family, and his friends today. We will all meet again very, very soon.
If I can help in any way, send me a PM.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

trapper

Sorry for your loss.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Dom

So sorry to hear of your family's loss. I wish you and your family the best upon this sad news.

LTmarine64

Mark,

I'm sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Kevin
Kevin,

Riggs

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family. He was obviously loved by his family and went out doing what he loved. That's all a man can ask for.
Again, sorry for your loss.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Vance in AK

So sorry for your loss.  Praying for you, your mom, & your family.

Shotgun

Mark & Family,

Sorry to learn of your Dad's accident and his passing.  He must have been a real trooper.  It's really hard, as we age, to give up things you really enjoy doing, and things that we've done all our life. I feel for you and your Mom, having to go through that in the woods. That really makes a difficult thing much more difficult.  Our prayers go out for all dealing with this situation.

Blessings,

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

ely

prayers for your family sent, thats a tough row.

reride82

Mark,
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Its hard for anybody to see someone they love in that situation, stay strong and remember him the way he'd want you to remember him, with a saw in his hand and a smile on his face.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

rhino135

Sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers!!!!!!

CCC4

Oh man, my eyes have literally welled up. I feel so bad for you and your family. I just got in from falling in high winds...to read this has just set something loose in me.  I had so many  close calls today...several times thinking what in the heck am I doing out here in this wind...all I could think about was production...now all I am thinking about is how my 10 yr old would take it if I didn't make it home...

I know no prayers...this is probably the first time in my life when I wished I knew something to say...I'm so sorry

Clint

petefrom bearswamp

So sorry for your loss
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Autocar

So sorry to hear this about your dad, Like most loggers we love every day in the woods and we can't ask for much else.
Bill

Ken

So sorry for your loss.  I work with my dad every day and can not comprehend the grief you must be feeling.   
Lots of toys for working in the bush

John_Haylow

Sorry for your loss Mark. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

loggah

Sorry for you loss!! Hopefully hes cutting limbless veneer in the perfect forests of the here after !Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

JDeere

Mark, So sorry to hear about your Dad. Wisconsin has some of the best loggers in the world and I am sure your Dad was one of them. Hopefully, you, your Mom and family will find some comfort in knowing that you all are in the thoughts and prayers of so many good people on this forum. Take Care.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

cutter88

sorry for your loss our prayers to you and ur family.
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Ron Scott

Very sad. Something no one wants to experience.
~Ron

Andy White

Sorry for your loss!  I was with my Dad when he passed.I worked on him 45 minutes before EMT s arrived. He was doing the thing he loved the most, and was not alone. Best wishes for your family, and keep the faith that he enjoyed life to the very end.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

mad murdock

Sorry for your  and your family's loss, that is a tough one!  Prayers for you and your family.  Your dad is having a family reunion on the other side, with loved ones he has missed for a long time, and he will be there waiting for you guys when the time comes.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Vander

Friend, keep your dad's saws running and in good shape...he'd want it that way I'm sure. A running saw means the legacy lives on.
John
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Peter Drouin

Sorry about your loss, some day you will see him again
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mikeb1079

deepest condolences to a fellow countryman. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

SAnVA

So sorry for you & your family's loss, hope you can find peace knowing that he left this life doing what he loved to do. Best of luck to you and your family in this very difficult time!

newstick

Very sorry! thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

sumday

Very sorry to hear this. I'll be praying for you and your family.

kiko

My family will be praying for you and your family as well.

sawman

Thoughts and prayers from SE MO, sorry for your loss.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

colincb183

So sorry to hear about this.  I'll be praying for you and your family.   

Tom the Sawyer

Mark,

My deepest condolences to you and your family.  I lost my dad 14 years ago.  I no longer think about his passing, but often remember the things he taught me and the way he lived his life.  Keep those good memories at hand and pass them down to your kids.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ayerwood

Mark,

I am so sorry to hear about your father and the accident you and your mother had witnessed.  Be strong and keep your head up.  I am sure you are as proud to have had him as your father as he is proud of you.  Remember all the good times and know he is "up there" smiling down on your family and dropping some big ole trees.  My prayers are with you and your family.

Meadows Miller

Sorry to hear of you and your familys loss you are all in my thoughts and prayers  :) :) :)

Jim mentioned a good idea to get a pic of him smiling or doing what he loved to do put it on your bedside table it may help with the sleep Mate

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

timberlinetree

Our condolences to you and your family. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Try to think about the good times. I lost my brother tragically and the scene kept playing through my head. Pictures do help... and try to keep your mind off the bad by occupying your time with friends and family and doing what you like to do. May he rest in peace and peace be brought to your and your family.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

MJD

Sorry for your loss Mark, its not easy when you loose your Dad. Hang in there.

log cutter

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.  You and your family are in my prayers.
Timbco 475E

GATreeGrower

Im so sorry to hear this and will keep you and your family in my prayers.  Sounds like your dad was an awesome guy who loved his job.

gjersy

Thank you so much guys for the thoughts,prayers,sympathy,stories and advice. I read your posts many times and they help. We're getting lots of support from neighbors and friends, anyways thanks again.

Bill Gaiche

Sorry for your loss. Ole men do what they must it seems to satisfy themselves and others. This is a good thing I believe. Your dad is always special and rightfully so. Hope your nights get better. Try filling them with good memories. bg

thecfarm

Give your Mom a hug for me. How is she doing through all of this? I know there is alot going on and a constance reminder of him. Probably she is waiting for him to walk through that door after a day of cutting wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

keen

Sorry for your loss, sending prayers your way.

mills

You and your family have my sincerest condolences. My Dad is 78, but gets around like he's 38. Just like your dad was doing, he's enjoying his life the only way he knows how. Mom, my brothers, sisters, and I have all worried about him working out on the farm by himself, but what do you do. Your never going to catch him on a golf course, or playing cards with a bunch of old fogies.  He's going to be dropping trees, running his dozer, bush hogging, or hauling a load of logs just to shoot the bull with the girls at the scale house. I pray that nothing ever happens, but if it does, I hope I have the courage to react as well as you did. May the Good Lord bless you and your family in your time of sorrow.

Ed_K

So sorry to hear of your father's passing.Prayer's for you and your mom to get through this.
Ed K

Norm

Please accept my condolences to you and your Mom.

coxy

so sorry to here about your dad we will all pray for you and your mom

Thank You Sponsors!