iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood PM14 Portamill

Started by Jason S, April 08, 2013, 07:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason S

So I posted once before thinking of buying a mill. Much as I want a band mill financially I don't think it would make sense.

So for building my house I am probably going to pay for the majority of my wood needs. But still have a bug for it.

Has anyone used the Norwood Portamill PM14. I have a couple Stihls including a 660. That one is plenty big. Just want experiences with it. Not interested in any of the other CSM's they look like too much work.

44woody

take a look at the m7 loga saw mill

hamish

All CSM and BSM's are alot of work.  Biggest factor is to consider the speices and quantity of lumber or logs you intend on milling.  Then factor in your costs, labour (yeah ours is free but our time isn't) fuel, chains,repairs, all the stuff we need to handle logs, etc.......

My csm with a 372 cutting 20" spruce 8'long can use a tank of fuel in two cuts.  0.6ltr on two cuts, here with fuel costs and taking into consideration there is two stroke oil added twocuts cost me about .70 cents, and alot of time, with limited production.  My BSM can run almost 8 hours on 6ltr in its 13hp Honda, and can easily pump out 1000bf a day with a helper.

The PM14 is $1000, some BSM like the WoodlandMills can be had for $2800, in reality not much difference if you were to include the cost of your 660 (used Cdn costs, so dont whine about the figures unless your from here!).

I have a CSM and a BSM, the both are needed and both complement eachother depending upon what you are doing.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Magicman

Jason, no apology necessary.  All of our situations, especially our financial ones, are subject to change.  We follow our heart and good judgement and make decisions as our circumstances dictate.

Keep the dream alive.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!