iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are there any antique telephone repairmen out there?

Started by Jeff, April 08, 2013, 03:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We have been sorting through all our collectibles we have had in storage, and trying to find places to put them on display in the house. I have an old Forest Service phone I would like to get in working order somehow. As near as I can tell it is a 1917 Kellogg Field Phone.  The only thing I know it is missing is the crank magneto. If we have anyone that is knowledgeable, I'd appreciate some guidance. I could post photos if there is interest.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Say when

isawlogs

DanG worked for them and he is pretty well antiqued now... ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I called Dang. He says he actually aint old enough, but he wants to see it as well. I'll take some pictures of it in a bit. I'm not having any luck with even what seemed to be a little thing. Taking the handset mouthpiece apart to put a couple screws in that came loose. I could get it apart I'm sure, it I wanted to butcher it. Its painted brass.

Jeff

This phone should have a way to send morse code too according to the tag on the inside lid, but I'm not sure where the key would be. Most of the internal wire has had the cloth insulation come off. Or ate off. The generator/magneto is missing. that is what the round hole would be. There should be a hand crank there to ring up the other phones is how I think that worked. I also believe that there is a strap buckle missing that would connect the strap to the other side of the box.  The wood is in really good shape. Probably some mineral oil would bring it back to life. Its pretty dry looking.

Below is the problem with the handset. I can't so fart get the mouthpiece apart to put the screws back in that hold it together.

I at least have a wiring diagram.

loggah

Neat phone Jeff, i wouldn't be suprised if some of the early WWII field phones were similar. when i was a teenager the ski area i worked had old phones like that to connect the top shack with the lift bottom. the crank just ran the ringer to the upper phone,and there were two big 9 volt drycells inside the phone to power it.  Jeff check this one out !! Don

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Army-WWI-Field-Phone-/110929788032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d3ee3c80
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

I've found identical phones on line, but not forest service. They claim they are WW1 and the phone was made in 1917.

loggah

U.S.F.S. they just branded them with no O.D. paint !!!! ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Buck

Nah not food. DanG wasnt old enough. Guess we're still looking for a real antique to come along.  ;) Come on David, help kick it a little.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jeff

That one is actually newer than this one I think. I wonder if there is a place to watch the whole episode online.

Norm

Well I'm no antique but with the schematic it shouldn't be hard to fix if you can find the parts any longer. Worst case scenario is I'll give it a shot if nobody else with experience with them comes along.

Raider Bill

What do you mean Father Dang Time isn't old enough? I heard he was top of the hill with a Natty light when Moses got there. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pigman

I would think eating some beans could help you get the mouthpiece apart.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Well, I think Ihave it looking pretty good for display. I was able to get the mouthpiece apart and fix that. I see a broken wire in there too which I did not fix. I dunno, maybe its not worth going any further with, although I would like to find a magneto and crank so that front hole looked real.  I was just thinking it would be cool that if the house phone rang, if this could be made to ring and answer, even though you could not call out on it. (no dialer).

Here is a photo with the guts back in it and the handset together and hooked up folled by the before photo.

Ianab

I reckon  you should put a Bluetooth earpiece and mic in the old handset. Then when your cellphone rings, you pick up the old phone and answer it   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

loggah

Jeff it looks good ,maybe you or someone will stumble across the crank and magneto for ya ! Don

Slabs

I had one of those when I was a kid.  The local phone company (all hand-crank) used them for butt sets.  The owner's son "charged me up" when he told me to hold onto the clips and he cranked over the magneto.  Ring frequency varies somewhat from the current standard 20 Hz.

Don't remember what the magneto looked like  but the case was O. D.

I also had some of the central office console modules.  Cute little wooden ball that turned over to red instead of black when someone "rang" in to hear "number please".  One of the operator's husband would sit on the console ocasionally and would say "numma" instead.  An additional duty as he was also a lineman.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

DanG

Well I see what happens when a feller has a puter problem and can't be here to defend himself. ::)  That's okay though, I'm making a little list. ;D  Besides, I ain't all that old, just ain't holdin' up too well.

Jeff, those old magnetos were fun to play with, so most were robbed out of the phones.  All I can advise is to keep all the Forumite eyes & ears open for one to turn up, perhaps in another old phone that isn't in good shape.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mesquite buckeye

Jeff. Have you been lying about your age? That picture looks pretty old.... ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jeff

What picture?  :)

I think I have a mag rounded up. I'll know when I get a chance to see it.

mesquite buckeye

The one with you standing next to an old sawmill. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!