iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring Projects

Started by Corley5, April 17, 2004, 07:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

We've had a string of pretty nice days.  The snow is gone for the most part.  There are still patches here and there and in piles.  We've been busy getting equipment ready.  Worked on the forklift for a a few evenings.  It has never ran to my satisfaction.  It would foul plugs from running too rich and was a pain in the butt at times.  Still one of the handiest machines on the place but a real pain.  Last fall I took the carb off to put a kit in it and I found the main problem.  It has a Marvel Schebler carb and the gasket between the two halves of it is supposed to cover the fuel bowl.  The previous owner had cut a new gasket from a twelve pack box, from the coloring and letter fragments I think it was Michelob Ice ;D.  He did a really nice job.  It was cut perfectly and must have been done by dipping the bowl in ink and then cutting out the outline.  Since he had already drank the 12 pack to get the needed cardboard he forgot that he needed to leave the areas over the bowl itself ::) ;) thus when it was running it was sucking gas directly out of the bowl instead of through the venturi.   8) 8)  So I put in the kit which including needle and seat, float, new gaskets, seals and some other little parts and put it back on the tractor.  It still ran like crap, maybe even worse than before.  It belched black smoke, missed, sputtered, puked, quit, refused to run, start or fire.  I cleaned the plugs up good one last time and used it for one last LITTLE project late in the fall and backed it in the barn.  I pulled the carb off one last time and put the old float back in it to see if that made any difference but by then the weather had gotten really cold and I gave up for the season.  Last weekend I decided it was time for a resurrection and pulled the plugs again for cleaning and was just about to try to fire it up when I had to go to KY but that's another story ::).  Tues I got it running but it didn't run good at all.  I managed to limp it into the shop and went to tearing it apart.  After pulling the carb off for a third time to bend the float to adjust it's level it finally started to run right.  I had set the float according to the specs to begin with.  1/4" of clearance between the gasket surface and the float.  It's now set at 1/2" ::) and runs good.  What a pain in the butt.  The only adjustments on this carb are air and an idle stop screw on the governor linkage.  The main jet is fixed.  It still runs a bit rich but I'll live with it for now although I can have the carb off in a matter of a minutes;).  We also reset the points which made a difference.  It also got an engine oil change and we drained the water out of the tranny and put oil back in :o.  The forklift is running good now and ready to go to work.  First duties will be pulling some fence posts tomorrow, moving some fertilizer around this week and hopefully moving logs and lumber at the mill by next weekend.  This afternoon we pulled the McCormick Deering W-9 out, changed it's oil and greased it then hooked it onto the JD 235 9' offset disc.  We pulled it around and put some new scraper blades on it and greased it.  We're ready to go to the field.  I may start discing tomorrow if the rain holds off and we get the chunk fence of taken down in the morning.  If it rains that's fine.  We've been on the verge of extreme fire danger.  My last week off before I had to go back to work I took our newest toy, a JD MC dozer, around the back fence and filled in some holes, pushed out some brush and fallen trees and just had a good afternoon.  This past Monday I had to return to work and it was pretty tough.  The weather is just getting nice and there are a bunch of fun projects that I need to do here but......  Oh well time to get busy.  There's 10 acres of alfalfa/brome grass this week, lotsa logs to saw after the seeding, a new sawmill building to build, a sawmill to move, hay to make, etc etc..  Gonna be a busy summer.  Here's a couple pics of the forklift and dozer and Zach who's in training on both of them.  Dad (Grandpa)is showing him the finer points of the dozer.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paul_H

Zach is a lucky kid to have all the equipment around to play on.I can still remember climbing around on my Dad's old machines when I was 3 or 4 years old.(I still like the smell of old grease and Diesel)

Nice projects!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!