iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have to hurry...

Started by roghair, April 07, 2013, 05:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roghair

Today I made a simple ramp and tested the winch; this (small) log was no problem.

Try some bigger ones tomorrow (hopefully)
built a sawmill

cutterboy

This has been fun watching your progress. Thanks for the pictures
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

clww

I have enjoyed watching your progress and success, too. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ga Mtn Man

That is the most un-homemade looking homemade mill I have ever seen.  You should be very proud of the work you've done. smiley_thumbsup
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Okrafarmer

Nice job, Roghair! Did you do any more today?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

roghair

Here are some more pictures of my first steps into this exciting experience, both good and bad ....

After the first log, I loaded a bigger one without too many problems:

Here you can see it was not a straight log, btw the toeboards are also very handy to move the log on the bed to position both ends near a bunk:

I decided to saw some 2x4 (5x10 cm) from this log, but clearly this curved log had some stress in it:

Then I decided to put on this stump of acacia to get some experience with hardwood as well:

The saw went through smoothly and I was surprised with the nice yellow look of this first slab:

Turned it 90 deg. and then hit my first NAIL  >:(

I tried to saw trough to the end but it got stuck just before the end. The blade wanted to go up (after hitting the nail) but couldn't on the edges because of the blade guides resulting in a curved suface. Had a hard time to get the saw out:

So I learned something... had a lot of fun and I'm building up a small stack ;D

built a sawmill

customsawyer

The stress in the 2X4 is mostly caused due to the way that you split the pith. Try centering the pith in your 2X lumber and you will see less stress. Once you get the cant to your target size and you are ready to saw the rest of the cant one of the best ways is to turn the cant 180° after each board. If you don't want to turn the cant after each board leave as many as you can on top of the cant so there weight will help to keep the rest of the cant from bowing up.
The nail you hit looks a bit like wire in the pic so might be difficult to dig out if you try to saw the rest of the log.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

roghair

Good advice customsawyer, I tried to do that but with a curved log the pit will be curved too. If you center the pith (more or less  :) ) on the ends of the log. in the middle the pith will be out of centre...

On the nail, yes maybe you are right, I didn't try to dig it out but just sawed a 10 cm (4") slab (with the damaged blade) assuming the nail would not be longer than that, and it wasn't. I had no new blades with me so I have to continue next week.
built a sawmill

Peter Drouin

Nice job your doing, have fun
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JimFX

Great looking mill and site, thanks for sharing photos. So you built this mill as opposed to assembling some kind of kit?

I don't have a mill yet, I am in the fact finding process as to which one would be best for me.
and I am getting spring fever.....

roghair

No, this is not a kit although I looked at all the mills that I could find on the internet and used what I thought worked best in my situation as a hobby miller.
What kind of mill are you looking for? (manual / hydraulic). What kind of logs do you plan to saw?
built a sawmill

Okrafarmer

Roghair, I love that acacia, our is pseudacacia, known as black locust, and looks very similar. It is surprisingly easy to mill-- when there are no nails in it. By the way, in my batch I sold a month ago, I found a nail sticking out of one log. I tried to pull it out, and was having a hard time. Finally, with a crowbar, I managed to pull it out, and it was about 8 inches long! (20 cm).  :o I am glad I didn't just try to saw around it, or I would have been in a lot more trouble than I knew.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

5quarter

Roghair...I think your log is Robina Pseudoacacia or black Locust. Most true Acacias grow in OZ and other places south of the equator. Black Locust grows in Northern europe and the british Isles as well as here in the States. Just a Pseudo-educated guess based on the wood and bark. It is a most excellent wood with 1001 uses.

Keep posting pictures of your operation...I cannot get over what a great job you've done with the mill and your support equipment.  8) 8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

bozzaa69

This may be a stupid question,and I'm not trying to be critical, but why wouldn't you build the mill to be portable? Seems to me, bolted to sonna tubes is way too permanent? I see huge disadvantage here. If it were on wheels,you could still leave it in the same place if that's your desire.  I saw in my yard in the same place also. I don't travel with it. But I move it 4 or 5 times a summer just to clean up the debris and sawdust under and around it. Makes the clean up easier. I built mine with no wheels at first also. I added them after the first year. Allot better.

beenthere

bozza
We each do what we want to do at the time. Always can change it if'n the mood changes. Called freedom of choice.  ;D    8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

roghair

5quarter, you are right, it is robinia pseudoacacia but many people here call it acacia for some reason.
Today I had some time to saw the rest of the stump with a new blade.
Okrafarmer, I think your customer built a boat with it if I remember correctly, you made it a kind of quizz  ;)

built a sawmill

roghair

bozzaa, please be critical, we Dutchies can be a bit blunt every now and then, so no worries  :)
I considered to build it on a trailer, but decided to do that in the next phase. In Europe you can not just build a trailer and use it on the road; you either have to use an existing type trailer or submit your own for approval by the authorities. I downloaded the 200 page document with requirements  ::) and decided to leave that for next winter. If I put it on wheels, I also want to be allowed to take it on the road.
Next winter I can build a trailer in my garage, get the license plates, bring it to the property and lift it from the fixed setup to the trailer and back if I want.
built a sawmill

bozzaa69

That makes sense. 200 pages huh? WOW. The way it's going here in the US, we'll have all those regulations before long too. Our wonderful politicians are writing new laws everyday trying to restrict us as much as possible too. New World Order you know. Everyone must conform. Problem is, I'm a non-conformist to all that kind of stuff. I live old school and no one will make me live otherwise. I still don't and never have had, or ever plan on having a cell phone. I must admit that I was like that when computers first came out too. But I did come to realize by 1999 what a useful tool computers are. Cell phone, not happening.

Okrafarmer

That is some beautiful black locust, pseudoacacia, Roghair! Amazing that the same species grows on both continents with very little difference. It is a very useful wood, as well as beautiful. I hope you enjoy your locust.

Yes, my customers came and picked up the locust I milled for them, and they were almost flipping somersaults, they were so excited about it.  ;D

I didn't know Dutch people were blunt. Do you think they are more blunt than Australians? Australians are the bluntest people I know, although Chinese people and people from Maine "have their moments."

roghair

Sawing in the rain is less comfortable but still fun! The sawdust sticks everywhere and the raincoat is all covered with sawdust.

But at the end of the day the sun is back, I produced some sawdust...

and rose the lumber pile

had a great day ;D
built a sawmill

Magicman

That is a nice whack of well stickered lumber.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Looks good, Roghair! You seem to be one of those people who manages to "get it right the first time." I envy you for that!  :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

roghair

Thanks Okrafarmer, reading the FF helps a lot! Sometimes the cuts are a bit wavy these days; I can't pinpoint the problem and tried everything I found on the forum. I decided today the problem is the LOGS not the sawmill  ;D too many knots maybe...

Funny how an 'old' thread can come to life again.
Currently I think about making a shingle attachment (use the wood between the many knots)
built a sawmill

Happycamper

Roghair,

What I have learned I "think" about knots is if I push too fast, engine speed too low, blade not sharp and I think most importantly the set in the blade are all factors. I sharpen and set my blades by hand and have found they cut much better than sharpened with an automatic machine. I resharpen just a touch while the blade is still relatively sharp and cutting well which has cut the grief level considerably when sawing.
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Thank You Sponsors!