iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have to hurry...

Started by roghair, April 07, 2013, 05:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roghair

It's spring and the mill is not ready to saw yet.
Have you seen this pile of logs waiting for me. Is the hobby getting out of hand ... or?

... No, I am just kidding, these are not my logs  ;D Just saw them on my way home.

Below some pictures of the progress building the track.

Now I have to disassamble the sawhead and transport it from my garage to the property and build it up again.

Can't wait to saw some logs (of my own :))

built a sawmill

dboyt

You really had me going with that first photo! Thanks or posting the photos.  Looks like some beautiful country up your way.  I bet you can't wait to start milling.  Be careful and keep up up to date on your progress.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

AdamT

Looking very professional! Great job
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: roghair on April 07, 2013, 05:12:53 PM
Have you seen this pile of logs waiting for me. Is the hobby getting out of hand ... or?

... No, I am just kidding, these are not my logs  ;D Just saw them on my way home.

Thought I was getting better at sawing, but If you can saw those on your way home, I've got some learnin' to do.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

roghair

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 07, 2013, 06:01:37 PM
Quote from: roghair on April 07, 2013, 05:12:53 PM

Thought I was getting better at sawing, but If you can saw those on your way home, I've got some learnin' to do.  :D

Hmm, yes funny. I can't help 'making sawdust' is the same word in English as the past tense of 'seeing'  ;)
built a sawmill

Happycamper

roghair,
  It will be nice to see photos of your milling when you use the mill you have built. I'm sure it will work well for you.
                                          Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

5quarter

Roghair...Looks to like the guys at Pezzolato need to roadtrip over to your place for a few pointers on how to build sawmills.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ND rancher

You had me going when I saw those photos. Looking forward to seeing the whole mill together and milling. It looked like you did a great job building the head and track. When you make that first sawdust fly it will be hard to stop smiling for a long time.      Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Nomad

The whole thing is looking great to me so far.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

Two toe boards. Looks good. I hope you have a good time sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Looks like your doing pretty good Roghair.

I still have a couple of alignment issues to do on my mill before I get started!

Good luck to you.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I like your plan and your setup.  It will be interesting to follow your continued progress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

The first pic got me too!  looks like you are on your way to getting it going soon,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

roghair

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, that's really encouraging. I am not aware of any 'sawdust addict community' here in Holland, so it's nice to share with the FF. It seems you are more confident in the good outcome then I am..  :)
However, I'll keep you posted on the progress. Today I only had an hour or so to put on the roofing on the sawhead shed. Tomorrow we expect rain  :(

built a sawmill

scully

I gotta say I love what you've done to the place !
I bleed orange  .

roghair

As said, I had to move the sawhead and carriage from my garage where I build it to my property where the logs are. In this picture you can see the bits and pieces from the sawhead in my car. Had to be careful to avoid a wobble(?) in the wheels. The carriage was on a trailer.

Building up again:

It was easier then I thougt because I marked all the positions of the parts before I took it apart and kept all the nuts and bolts to the parts they belonged to.

I even did a test run on a tiny log, but it was a great moment  8) However...

.....I hit some steel  ???
After reading your guys experience with sawing logstops I decided to put some kind of hook on the fixed blade guide that will hit the logstop before the saw does. That part works great, but believe it or not a managed to leave the little crank up and hit it just a little. The band still seems to saw well though.

All in all a good day. I parked her in the "shed"

built a sawmill

Nomad

Looks great!  It won't take you long to learn that clamp handle must always be turned down.  (Don't ask how I know that ::))
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ND rancher

Thanks for the photos roghair, and the good laugh! It seams like all us new sawyers do that at least once! Great job on the build.      Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

samandothers

Thanks for the photos on your build and rebuild.  Great job on the building to house the saw head and keep it out of the weather and secured! 

YellowHammer

Pretty slick.  It won't be the last time you hit metal, at least now you've got the first one over with :laugh:
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

francismilker

Looks really good and seems to be a real beefy setup on your track.  That will keep things level and square and help to avoid future problems.  The first picture had me going as well. :D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

thecfarm

You are a real sawyer now,you have hit metal and had a new blade on too.  ;D  It all looks good. have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

roghair your mill looks great.  i can see that you pay more attention to detail than i did when i built my mill.   :D

nice work!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Okrafarmer

Good job, Roghair!

It's good to see you saw. But what you didn't see, you also sawed.  :D

English has too many puns. Is it no surprise that there is "pun" in "punishment?"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!