iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl MS 290 oil leaking from weep hole by muffler?

Started by ruger1, April 07, 2013, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruger1

after replacing oil pump and nylon drive gear oil is still leaking from weep hole. unless I plug this hole, oil does not go to chain oiler . what do I need to do to correct htis problem ?

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

sawguy21

Can you post a picture? That does not sound right to me either.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

There is a grub screw to plug that hole back up but I don't have the # here at home.
I'm thinking it is between the muffler and the bar tucked inside by the muffler and visible from the front.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ruger1

you are correct with location of weep hole. thanks I'll stop @dealer monday and get that "grub screw" thanks. ruger

joe_indi

ruger1,
That is not a weep hole.It is the drill hole for the oil passage. The end is blocked by (as Al mentioned) by a plastic grub screw .I dont think it comes as a spare.The way I solve this problem usually is to block that hole with a ny screw that can be fitted tightly in the hole.But before you do that you need to make sure that the screw is not too long.If it is too long it could block the oil passage.
So here is what you do. Insert a wire into that hole.Loo into the oil passage outlet on the guide bar face on the saw. That bit of wire will be visible in that oil outlet. You need to limit the length of the screw to a point that when it is screwed in tight, the end just reaches the upper edge of that oil outlet without sticking even a wee bit into the outlet.
Once you have made sure the length of the screw is correct, apply some epoxy lightly to the screw's thread and tighten it. The epoxy will ensure making this fix leakproof.

Joe

Paul_H

millstead

i had the same problem on my ms390 i just put a sheet metal screw in with some epoxy and it has worked good  no more oil leaking

joe_indi

Paul, #9134 381 1230 is a m6x8 grub screw.Isnt it a bit too big for this job?
Maybe an M4?

Joe

Paul_H

That's the ones we have been using.Fits like a glove.

Thank You Sponsors!