iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emerald Ash Borers are here

Started by Fraxinus, April 06, 2013, 10:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraxinus

News today says they have been found in Concord.  So long ash trees. :'( :'(
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

mrcaptainbob

Peter Drouin

Does that mean I half to go out in the wood lot and cut all the ash trees :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Fraxinus

I'd say do it whenever it's convenient.  What are you going to use them for?
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Corley5

I saved my ash as long as I could.  They're infected, most dead and I'm cutting them now.  Some didn't leaf out a year ago, the rest won't leaf out this year.  I'll still get some logs, bolts and firewood.  It's sad :( :( :'( :'(  If a resistant or immune ash does exist it doesn't live in my woodlot  :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Fraxinus on April 07, 2013, 07:45:51 PM
I'd say do it whenever it's convenient.  What are you going to use them for?

I don't know, Im going to keep a look out for bad trees , trees that die on the stump are only good for fire wood ,maybe, so if they look bad there going to be lumber, I am not happy about this, I better stop now or ill be in the wood shed >:(
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

shinnlinger

Bummer.  Thought I had a few years.....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

loggah

I only got a few ash trees left on my property, i will saw them into planks as they  decide to die off , i quarter sawed some last fall for handle stock . Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Fraxinus

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 07, 2013, 09:29:26 PM
Bummer.  Thought I had a few years.....
Geez, it seems like there's quite a few of us Granite Staters here.  Even right here in Grafton County. 8)
I have a beautiful ash in front of my house and another not as nice right behind the house.  I set them both out maybe 20-25 years ago.  I'm really  going to miss the one out front.  The one in back really should go anyway.  Too close to house and power line.

thecfarm

The one all by itself MIGHT make it. There is an old BIG elm up the road from me,all by itself. Looks odd to see one that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

It still hasn't come through to us here yet. I have not milled ash yet, but I have an ash stash of around 200 bf waiting for the next good opportunity to mill it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Well it seems if it's in NH, then it will be in Maine soon and then the Maritimes. Like the borg. Where I live the woods is full of ash.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red oaks lumber

i had 55 acres of woods thinned this winter, i told them take all the ash as they are going to die in the near future anyway.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Corley5

It was three years from when I noticed the infection to death for ash in my woods.  A tree being separated by distance from others doesn't seem to make much if any difference.  The bugs are strong flyers.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

So the one lone one like that elm won't be so lucky with the EAB? That is sad to hear.
I really don't have much of any size to harvest. I do have places that I have some,but it's not all over my place like maple or oak.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed

Nope, EAB is a very efficient killer.....100% from what I've seen.

Ed

240b

ash is probably 25% of the volume of my wood lot in vt. avg dia is 12 inches for the ash. should i just wack it now before the market tanks or wait it out and see what happens?   
hate to cut 12" trees.

SwampDonkey

Did everyone cut down all their elms when dutch elm hit, or all the fir and spruce when the budworm came? Nope.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

240b
I've been cutting 12-14" ash for firewood. Makes great firewood and trees are straight, free of limbs, and quite tall. The EAB not here yet, but getting a leg up on when it does arrive. Leaving larger diam. ash, and not bothering with the small sizes unless they are in the way of moving out firewood lengths.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

We're loading Ash baseball bats into the kilns today. I was thinking a bit ago about how nice and straight grained they are. I have one big Ash in the front yard. Without going to measure it, I'd say it's about 34" DBH. I sure will hate it when those rotten bugs get here.

beenthere

I understand that individual trees can be treated with a systemic to keep the bug from killing a tree. Not workable or viable in a forest stand, but yard trees may pay.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

Hasn't been seen here yet but I sold my ash in2009 in anticipation of the pests arrival.
Should have waited til now as i could have doubled my return.
I'm still cutting the tops for firewood with about 3 years of wood left.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

I was wondering how you could double your return. Monetary or product? In my experience when harvesting is encouraged by pest damage the price falls to the bottom as the market get saturated.

millwright

When the dutch elm hit in this area the forestry dept. had us drop every tree, and either process them or burn or bury them, I hope it doesn't happen with the ash.

beenthere

I know of a similar plan in WI already waiting for the first sign of EAB.

Haven't seen signs of using that plan, but know it exists.

In that plan, they announced they already had the authority to cut what trees they want, wherever they may be, based on approval granted by the State when the Dutch Elm disease came through 50 year ago.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!