iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red sycamore?

Started by Bibbyman, April 06, 2013, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We do very little logging these days. But I've never seen a sycamore so red as the one I cut this morning.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jay C. White Cloud

O.K. now that is new to me?  What do you think caused it, minerals in the soil?  Can't wait to see the wood.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Bibbyman

It was standing on a bank of a branch like any other sycamore.   Limestone is under it.  The top was broken out and was hollow in top. Cut two short logs due to crooks.  It is just as pink throughout.
Sawing since '94

Jay C. White Cloud

Well there is one for the logbook. When will you mill it up?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Kemper

I have seen a few very red, this is in western Kentucky.

Autocar

Thats a new one for me also Ive never seen one that even had a tint of red in it. Will be interesting to see how the lumber drys out and if it keeps the pink color.
Bill

SAnVA

Could have been growing next to a beet patch!LOL  If you like beets as much as me you know what I'm talking about!

mesquite buckeye

Super cool. I thought at first maybe you had sprayed it with paint as a joke. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Maybe the tree had a female side  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treefarmer87

I have cut some that were very red too, im don't know what would make them so dark, they are one of my favorites to cut
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

mesquite buckeye

Do these trees have any outward signs that they are different somehow from the normal color? If we could detect the trees that will be red inside, we could get seeds from them and encourage the trait in future stands. Is there a regional distribution of this trait? Speak up guys. Let us know who has and who has not seen this trait. :P :P :P :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bibbyman

I cut one about 20 yards down the branch from this one.  It had some pink on the stump but not on the upper end of the log.
Sawing since '94

CCC4

That is pretty neat! I have cut alot of them that are rosey looking but not that red. The ones around here that are rosey, pink, or blush colored are on very sandy ground surrounding spring fed creeks. I always figured the water ph had something to do with it.

two tired

bibby, you embaresd that tree when you cut it down?
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Bibbyman

We got some of red sycamore sawn and it retained some pink.  One thing unusual is the density of the growth rings.  You may be able to see in the picture but the if not, the growth rings were 1/3", maybe less.  We cut several other sycamore in the same area that showed a lot of pink.  All were slow growth.   

The blocking is 2x3".
Sawing since '94

mesquite buckeye

That stuff would make one beautiful butcher block table. 8) 8) 8)

SAnVA

Don't build a boat out of it, won't float! Pretty bad for cupping, warping, etc.

limbrat

Do you think stress is helping to tint the wood. I remember a discussion about stress helping to develope red gum in sweetgum. I dont know if the trees are related or not sort of like osage and mulberry.
ben

Thank You Sponsors!