iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV log arch

Started by LTmarine64, April 05, 2013, 05:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTmarine64

I'm looking at getting a log arch for my ATV.  Can someone point me in the right direction on this.. 

The biggest one I have found will only take a 16ft log  but that is completely off the ground not dragging the log.

Is there a bigger log arch for a ATV
Kevin,

Ianab

I've seen on the Logrite web page where you can connect one arch normally to the quad, and pick up the front of a long log. Then attach a smaller "fetching arch" to the tail end, and drag both like an articulated trailer with the log suspended on 4 wheels.

Still need to remember that it's only an ATV towing all that weight, but at least it's going to let you haul a much longer log, fully suspended.

Go to this page and look at the "Operation" tab to see some pics of how it works.
http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/ATV-Arch

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LTmarine64

Thank you,

I will go to the website and take a look.  My ATV can drag a 30ft by 30inch log OK but I'm tired of cleaning the log before I can put it on the mill.
Kevin,

muskoka guy

There is a equipment dealer in Sundridge Ontario called Prestons. I have seen baby forwarders on display there. They were just a glorified small trailer that had a small hydraulic log loader arm than ran off a five horse motor. The smallest one looked like atv size. Might hold a few logs. Dont know how well they work, I just saw them in front of the equipment shop.

Kingcha

On the budget side of things is this one

(sorry, but the link to this company cannot stand because of past copyright infringements.  They were actually selling logrite knockoffs......edit by administrator)

it is one that I have been looking at, if I decide I need one.    I did look at the logrite one as well but at this point that one is out of my price range
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

beenthere

How big is the ATV? 

Logrite (sponsor in left column here) would be my suggestion, and you can drag as big a log as you can handle with an ATV.

Can't tell the way you said it, but if you want a longer log than 16' off the ground, get some training wheels for the rear of the log. And then add brakes to keep from being pushed downhill as the ATV might not stop it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

What kind of ATV do you have that can pull a log of that size. A white pine ( which is one of the lightest woods there is ) that is 30 ft x 30" dia. weighs over 5000 lbs.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

beenthere

Save the double post.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

muskoka guy

I have a 2002 bombardier traxter which are now sold as a john deere .Its built like a tank and weighs around 900 lbs. It is only rated for pulling 1200 lbs. I have skidded 16 inch pine trees by dragging them by the rear crash bar. I dont think the hitch, or the rear end where its attached , would care much for 5000 lbs.

John Mc

If you are operating with an ATV on any kind of hills, and you've got a good sized log fully suspended on wheels, I'd be more worried about stopping it than getting it going.  This isn't something you have to worry much about when dragging the log.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Just read the reviews on that northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company arch.  As expected, people are not happy with it. Cheap components, put together cheaply.  It's rated for 1000#.  Since it's an arch and a separate "trailer", I have to wonder if the 1000# rating applies to both the arch and trailer working together, or if each of them is rated for 1000# on its own.  Even if you limited it to 1000# total, split evenly between the two pieces, I can't imaging it will hold up at all for any real work.

On the other hand, the LogRite arches will handle their rated weight all day, every day, under tough conditions.  If money is tight, I'd rather have one logrite arch than half a dozen of the NT arches. Even if you have to drag the tail end of the log, that still won't get things as dirty as dragging the whole log, and it will at least help the braking a bit when you need to stop.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

LTmarine64

I have Polaris Sportsman Big Boss 6x6 800 EFI.   I also drag logs with my land tamer.  Thank you for all the help
Kevin,

scottmphoto

I have one of the northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company archs. My only complaint so far is the wheels and bearings. After my first wheel crapped out, I got a wheel from TSC. It didn't last too long either. The arch itself, I found it to be made fairly well. I got it because I didn't want to skid the logs. Tear up the ground and roads a little bit (not too much, I have since found out) and keeps the logs up off the ground and much cleaner. Would I buy another one...No. If I decide to start using it again, I'm cutting off the current axle stubs and welding on good heavy trailer stubs and putting on real hubs with bearings then getting a real trailer wheel.

LTmarine64

I'm harvesting standing dead lodgepole pine and standing dead apen.  Just so everyone knows what I'm dragging. agin thank you for the help.
Kevin,

roger 4400

I often use my Honda Foreman to haul a tandem trailer with half a face cord, I guess the total weight is !900 pounds and believe me when going down a hill the load pushes you a lot you will not be able to stop a heavy load you will ""jack knife"" real fast. Be safe.  If the log drag in the back it will slow you down and might help. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

LTmarine64

I use my Sportsman Big Boss 6x6 800 for most of the small logs I drag.  For the big logs I drag I use my land tamer ATV.  Most people don't even know what a land tamer ATV is and don't want to believe I pull 30 ft logs with it.  Until they see what a land Tamer ATV is.  But again thank you for every ones response.
Kevin,

thecfarm

I would like to see what ever you have. I did a google on it. Looks like quite the rig. Some have 6 wheels some have 8,some have tracks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Well, he had me curious.  Here's a link to the Land Tamer ATV

Looks like quite a brute. Not what I have in mind when someone says "ATV".  Unfortunately, I can't get anything but the home page of their web site to load right now.

Dakota

This is what I do when I have a big one to haul, but only on pretty level ground.

Dave Rinker

LTmarine64

I want to thank the people that offered suggestions on different log arches. I appreciate all the info.  But for those that want to debate what I can do with the equipment I have I don't have time for the games.. I asked one simple question and it turned into a debate. I will find a different form to ask my questions on .  For all the so called we will not tolerate this and that site. I received more crap than anything else. I got a email right off the bat for making the same post twice. I tried to see if I could delete one but could not figure it out. when I asked I was just told it was done. NOT EVEN A HELLO OR WELCOME.

Kevin,

beenthere

Sorry to the Lt. Marine. Re-read the posts in this thread and don't see why one would/could be upset.

Hope it isn't terminal.

So, LTmarine64, hope you enjoy your day.  8)
You did get some pretty good info, if you want to use it.

If you are serving our country, I thank you very much for that. It is an honor to have you as a member, and not getting a personnal welcome is not typical for the FF. But appears yours fell through the cracks.
south central Wisconsin

LTmarine64

I did received good information from some. I think I will try and build what member Dakota posted..

I'm retired after 28 years with the USMC.  But thank you for the kid words.
Kevin,

John Mc

LTmarine -

I hope I did not come across s telling you what you could or couldn't do with your equipment.  When someone says "ATV", I picture a relatively small, lightweight piece of equipment.  Without any background on your experience, I for one had no idea whether you were new to this or not.  The comments on stopping 5000 Pounds of log on wheels as you go down a hill with a typical ATV were not intended at all to disparage your skills or the capabilities of your equipment.  It was just meant as a friendly warning for someone who may not have tried that before. Just a heads up, and something to think about. 

You obviously have equipment that can handle this situation (in fact, I'd love to see one of those land tamers in person one of these days).  I've got an antique UTV called a Coot (4WD, 4W steering, top speed about 18 MPH). It would be amphibious, if I ever get around to finishing restoring it.  I do use it a bit for hauling firewood around my place, but at 12 HP, and 1000#, it's on the small side for serious hauling, even though it is geared for power.  I did just experiment with hauling trailer with a half cord of "mostly green" beech firewood down the forest trail from where I cut it. I probably had between 2500 and 3000#. Mild down hill slopes were on the limits of what I could handle.  Befre I do too much more of this type of hauling, I'll get around to wiring up the electric brakes on the trailer to the Coot.

LTmarine64

Coot is a fun little machine I would hang on to it. The land Tamer is a great machine it's the only way I'm able to get back and forth to my house in the winter up here.  Price tag for a Land Tamer is around 30,000 but well worth the money it's a great toy.
Kevin,

John Mc

Not many people know what a Coot is. Sounds as though you've driven one?

LTmarine64

I have a squid buddy that has two of them. 
Kevin,

thecfarm

A coot and a land tamer in the same thread. pictures,pictures please.  :)
The guy down the road has one of those 6 wheels rigs,no idea the name or the what brand. Can go on land or water. He has a trolling motor for the water,works better he says. I think that works like a skid steer,brake one side to steer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LTmarine64

Thecfarm... that sounds like your neighbor has a ARGO they are fun too but high maintenance great just for weekend stuff. but not made for traveling in deep snow every day I had one and sold it for my Land Tamer. I live at over 10,000 ft and get deep snow.
Kevin,

beenthere

Here's a vid of a Coot.  Doesn't show it pulling anything, other than itself. But appears to maneuver well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isi4NGVCIKQ&feature=player_embedded#!

And a Land Tamer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_7IAwbfGxNc
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

ARGO,I think so.We have a few ponds close by and what he likes about it,he just drives to them and in he goes. I don't think he does much work with it,just something to play with.

jander3

While hauling in cabin logs that were already cut, to keep the logs off the ground, I used two log arches.

LTmarine64

Can you tell me what company you got the log arches from?  Thank you for your post too.
Kevin,

thecfarm

I'm not jander,I don't think he'll mind.  ;D   Looks like the first one is home made and the blue one is a Logrite,sponsor on the left. Price may seem high if you have been looking at other places,but the Logrite will hold up in the woods. USA made too.

jander3

thecfarm is correct.

The front a frame welded up around a set of VW hubs.   Wheels are small spare tires picked from the trunks of cares in the junk yard.

The little one in the back is the Logrite Jr.  I used to move logs by hand around the yard.   I beat the heck out of it hauling my cabin logs back to the Stump Ranch.  She held up great.

John Mc

Quote from: John Mc on April 05, 2013, 09:42:41 PM
Just read the reviews on that northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company arch.  As expected, people are not happy with it. Cheap components, put together cheaply.  It's rated for 1000#.  Since it's an arch and a separate "trailer", I have to wonder if the 1000# rating applies to both the arch and trailer working together, or if each of them is rated for 1000# on its own.  Even if you limited it to 1000# total, split evenly between the two pieces, I can't imaging it will hold up at all for any real work.

I posted a question on NT's site asking about whether the weight rating on their arch was for the arch alone, or the arch and trailer combined.  Here's their response:
QuoteThe Northern Industrial ATV Log Skid Arch and Holder has a total weight capacity of 1,000 lbs.for both sections combined.

So they're selling an arch that's rated for well under 1000#. I've got to wonder why bother even building an arch that is so light-duty? No wonder people have been having trouble with it.

Thank You Sponsors!