iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

does anyone else have a solar kiln that everyone mistakes for a grow room?

Started by Compensation, April 03, 2013, 09:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

My last appraiser thought it was to grow plants of the illegal side. Then today the electric company guy thought it was a green house. I am gonna end up having the cops show up over this. But they did give me a good idea, I can start my garden sooner if I use it to start seeds.  ;D
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

clww

I'd put a sign on it, stating what it actually is, "Lumber Kiln". Maybe you could pick up some business, if you're inclined. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Compensation

Good idea. I can get on the scroll saw and make a sign for it. I make it a point for now to ask everyone that walks past it what they think it is. Have yet to get a correct answer. Look at it on "pictures of kilns" up top in this section. Grrrr

Also one piece of advice for people making a solar kiln. After I built it, the wood dried out and made gaps and a few curls and bows. If I had to make another one I would put all my wood for building the kiln in a kiln beforehand. It was so tight and perfect and now I have gaps :-X.   So anyone near me who wants to build one can use my kiln to do this.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Carpenter

Good topic.  I had thought of this as a possible problem.  I plan to build a solar kiln in the near future.  But, this is a small town and frankly I know all of the sheriffs deputies and the sheriff pretty well.  I went to hi-school with most of the deputies and they know that I'm not a doper.  I think it would be good for advertizing.  One of the deputies was out here last week because the neibors cows were out and we helped put them back in.  I happened to be running the saw mill when he showed up and I think he's going to want some cedar for closet lining. 
     They say there's no such thing as bad advertizing.  Of course that's not true.  But, It does open the door conversation and then you can explain what you do.   

LTmarine64

Can anyone tell me where I can get a set of plans for building a solar kiln? 
Kevin,

Sprucegum

LTmarine64 at the top of this page is a search bar. Type in "solar kiln" and scroll down and start reading  :P

Compensation

It just cracks me up that people always think of the negatives instead of the positives these days.

LTmarine64, look at picture section too. If you like someone's kiln I am sure they can give you specs. People here are nice and extremely helpful.

woodman58

i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Planman1954

Quote from: LTmarine64 on April 05, 2013, 04:27:59 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can get a set of plans for building a solar kiln?

This is a thread that shows how to build the pineywoods design:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50281.0.html
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!