iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of toolbox do you work out of ?

Started by Theloggingkid, April 03, 2013, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theloggingkid

Just like the title say guys ... what kind of box do you work out of ?

Power Machinery-330
Skil saw-1629
Power tuff-AX34
Homelite-XL Automatic, Homelite-XL, Homelite-XL1, Homelite-XL2 x2
Homelite-XL12, Homelite-XL76 x2, Homelite-XL130, Homelite-200
Pioneer-1074, Pioneer-P25, Pioneer-P26, Pioneer-P28, Pioneer-P40, Pioneer-P41 x3, Pioneer-620 x2, Pioneer-650

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

At the cabin I use the basement, the first floor, the second floor, and the truck. Tools are everywhere.
Toolbox? That's a unique idea. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Those high-dollar boxes have always been a head scratcher to me. With prices anywhere from $250 to $15,000, I just think about all the other useful stuff I could buy. Like an LT15 or something. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Theloggingkid

Well said clww. I do agree that these boxes are WAY over priced but i bit the bullet and got this 2 years ago due to the fact that is a full life time warranty and if anything breaks or wears out on it i dont have to pay a penny to get it fixed and its built well enough that i'll never wear it out in my life time  :D
Power Machinery-330
Skil saw-1629
Power tuff-AX34
Pioneer-1074, Pioneer-P25, Pioneer-P26, Pioneer-P28, Pioneer-P40, Pioneer-P41 x3, Pioneer-620 x2, Pioneer-650

gspren

That's very impressive, I've known a few people that organized but I'm not one of them. When working away from the shed I often work out of a 5 gallon toolbox that says drywall compound on the side.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Autocar

Bill

Theloggingkid

That's my next move AUTOCAR is to turn my truck into a mobile service truck  ;D
Power Machinery-330
Skil saw-1629
Power tuff-AX34

clww

I work for me, and that's how my truck looks. Quad cab with seating for one. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Theloggingkid

You and me both clww. I work for myself too. I work on anything and everything
Power Machinery-330
Skil saw-1629
Power tuff-AX34

steamsawyer

Mine is a 1992 GMC Siera 3500 extended cab.

I don't think a picture would help my case, though it looks nice on the outside... Let's just say that, if I rolled it, the stuff on the inside would probably beat me to death.

I have a big toolbox a little smaller than yours, but not much in it but air tools now. I don't need them at the sawmill.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Theloggingkid

Hey steamsawyer what kind of box do you have ?
Power Machinery-330
Skil saw-1629
Power tuff-AX34

Tom the Sawyer

I added one to my mill.  Its nice to have frequently used items at hand.  Good place to carry safety equipment, level, tools for removing metal, sunscreen, first aid, kit, etc.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

justallan1

About a 15 drawer Stack-On I keep at the company shop, a Snap-On (that came from the dump) and another small roll away at the house shop, 2 carry offs for my '93 F-250 and my 1968 F-250 with air, torches, welder and fuel tanks inside of a 6 compartment utility box with everything up to 3" for when I go farming.
Allan

scgargoyle

Right now, I live in a toolbox  :D :D :D. I'm living in my barn while I build my house, so this is really true!

When I first started building, I took a Kennedy cabinet and bolted it down in my van. I mounted it in the side door so I could still access it when the van was full of stuff. Very handy- as long as you remember to lock the drawers when on the road.

At my regular job as a tool maker, I use a large rolling cabinet, plus a Kennedy riser, plus a wooden Gerstner tool box. The Gerstner is one of those gorgeous, expensive machinist boxes with all of the little tiny drawers. To be honest, it's mostly for show, but I had to have one. I needed a very heavy duty rolling cabinet to house all of my specialized tooling, which is very heavy and valuable.

I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

m wood

clww and steamsawyer, I had to laugh cuz thats my truck too :D :D :D.. I got 4 carry boxes and a couple om craftsman boxes their always stacked next to me and on the floor and behind me.  constantly opening 4 dif boxes trying to remember where that file or vice grip or whatever got put, or if they just got put on the floor under all the boxes :D.  Im sure it would help to be a bit mor organized, but I bet it'd still take just as long to find something...too many projects at once going on, usually
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

slider

My bottom roller cabinet and two 3 drawer stacker boxes are 20 years old.The top box I bought used in 1968 .I use this stuff every day.I guess that snap-on stuff holds up very well.
al glenn

Roxie

Cowboy Bob has Snap-On tool boxes too.  I know there are three of them, because he'll tell me, "Go to the middle box, third drawer down, on the left rear."  Heaven help someone that moves his tools, even if you think you put it back in the same spot, he knows it's been moved.   ::)
Say when

giant splinter

I have a Matson freight container right next to my mill, I try to keep all the things I use most frequently up near the front. I know for sure there is stuff in the back that I have not seen for seven years and have probably replaced a few tools that are lost in that black hole somewhere. It's the only area here  that I do not keep in some sort of orderly fashion because its not even possible to get into (log jam). I started to clean and organize it at one point and a load of logs showed up, the driver takes one look at the drop zone and says "where do you want these"?   "looks like a yard sale" so I reloaded the little bit of stuff that I took out of there and made room for him to unload, have not looked back.
Some day when I get caught up I will organize a work force to attack this mess, get everything in order and join the ranks of all the rest of you that keep things where you can find them and have such orderly and organized tool boxes and workshops.
You sawyers are a good influence on guys like me. Some of you that is ;D
roll with it

steamsawyer

Quote from: Theloggingkid on April 03, 2013, 10:33:02 PM
Hey steamsawyer what kind of box do you have ?

It used to be a Snap-On but that one burned up when my shop burned about 20 years ago. The replacement I have now is a Mac. The insurance replaced it and I got a better deal through the Mac dealer.

I keep most of my tools portable now, about four tote boxes and a bunch of GI ammo cans. Most of it stays in the truck. I have a large 5th wheel box that I used for chainsaws and cant hooks and such, but I left it out when I put the hydraulic dump bed in. The only place the truck goes is to the sawmill, and occassionally to the dump or junkyard.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Alan Rudd

steamsawyer

Quote from: clww on April 03, 2013, 07:05:51 PM
Those high-dollar boxes have always been a head scratcher to me. With prices anywhere from $250 to $15,000, I just think about all the other useful stuff I could buy. Like an LT15 or something. :)

I concur.

At the time I got the snap-on box, about 25 years ago, I was working in a dealership. Let's just say when you have thousands of dollars tied up in your tools you need a secure place to lock them up. It is hard to justify but if you don't know who has access to the building at all times, it's like insurance.

The Mac box I have now cost over $2500 and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Alan

Alan Rudd

loggah

Craftsman toolboxes in the back of a 2002 GMC  duramax !!!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!