iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions about sharpening

Started by Lnewman, April 03, 2013, 06:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lnewman

A couple questions for you experienced old-timers.  1) How can you tell when a file needs to be replaced?  2) What do you think about the PFERD sharpener?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

beenthere

I use a PFERD sharpener, being this one.  There are others.

And judgement on the file, as it wears over time so just cuts (files) teeth a little less each time. It is a feeling you get with experience over time. Keep a new file handy and compare, it will be somewhat obvious when it is time to change.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AlwaysLimbLeft

the best I can describe it:

A new file will feel like it's actually taking a bit out of the tooth and you will see a fair amount of metal shavings spray off the backside as you push the file through. An older file will feel more like it's just scraping/grinding past the tooth's edge and you won't see nearly as many metal shavings come off.

John Mc

As they age, you have to put more pressure on them to get them to work right, and take more strokes.  As others have mentioned, it's a matter of feel.

It's hard to describe, but it's similar to the feel you get when cutting wood as a chain starts to dull.  When you are new at it, you can probably tell when the chain has been rocked, and needs some major work.  After you've gotten some experience, you can tell that "it's just not feeding like it used to" and feel that the teeth just need a touch-up.

I used to keep my files way too long. Part of this had to do with the fact that I was buying them in two-packs from the local hardware store, so a good bit of the time I was "on my last file".  Files are not that expensive. Now I just buy a 12-pack and I'm not so tempted to stretch a file well beyond the point where it cuts easily. I keep a small box stocked with tools and supplies for cutting that I take with me when I'm heading out into the woods. This includes a file that is in-use, and one that's "on deck", so I always have a spare on-site.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Lnewman

Has anyone used The PFERD file that combines the round in the flat file in one piece?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

beenthere

Lnewman
Several members have indicated they use that style and they like it. Don't think you can go wrong giving it a try.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cuterz

Quote from: Lnewman on April 03, 2013, 05:14:10 PM
Has anyone used The PFERD file that combines the round in the flat file in one piece?

Yes I have one in each size they work well.

Thank You Sponsors!