iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fire rehab

Started by woodtroll, April 02, 2013, 10:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtroll

I am setting up rehab projects for our state ground after last years fires.  I have a few dry dams that have filled with a significant amount of ash.
I would like to push them out, so they can catch more, but what should I do with the ash.  I don't want to put it where it will come back in the water way. Would it be beneficial to spread on pasture fields?

Any thoughts will help.

woodtroll

beenthere

woodtroll
Maybe make a dry "pond" for the ash with a berm that diverts any run-off water around the ash, such that it cannot flow into the dry pond.

Or dig a pond that the run-off water flows into it, rather than into the ash where it sits now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodtroll

I may be able to do something like that.
Push the ash out to the side of the catch basin. Then berm around it to direct the water in to the basin.
I may be mixing terms here. The ash is caught in dry dams in draw bottoms. They rarely hold water for long.  Though one pictured held water all winter.
If I dig new ponds, they have to be engineered or designed, it does not if all I am doing is cleaning the existing dam.
We have constructed berms to slow the movement of additional ash in other areas, we can do that here to.

beenthere

Does the ash you are concerned about float on top the pond water, or settle out in the pond water?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodtroll

It washes in. Most of what you see is after one rain, of 3/4inch after/during the final phases of the fire. So the ash is actually ash, silt, and sand. There is very little vegetation yet to catch the ash during run off.
It washed in, water seeped out or dried up. or just got absorbed by the ash.

does it float, Hmmm the ash would, I would guess. the rest no.

beenthere

So a series of settling ponds, or one or two, might do the trick.
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

If you have fields that need lime, than the ash can help there. But not potato fields, it will cause scab. It doesn't ruin them, it's just harder to market less than perfect looking potatoes.

Ash will act like clay if it's thick enough.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

It should make a good soil supplement.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodtroll

The near by fields are hay fields and grazed pasture land. Fairly dry. Our soils can have a significant amount of gypsum in it, from the surrounding rock.
I would think it could be ok in the hay fields, if spread decent.

SwampDonkey

Won't hurt hay fields. It won't be thick enough to cause impermeability in the field. I was thinking when it was ponding with run-off and building up.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodtroll

The settled areas in the ponds are to thick. The ponds are dry most of time. Any grass would be from seed in the ash. 
Most are 2-3 feet deep the worst is 5'.

SwampDonkey

That's pretty thick. It's funny, that even lime will make an impermeable layer. Locally a farmer gets lime he dredges from a  cedar swamp. It's not limestone, but powder lime when it's dry. But that stuff sure holds water, like a bowl.

chevytaHOE5674

Trick will probably be getting it spread. Too wet and there's no way to spread it, and too dry it will be very hard to control the rate its spreading.

SwampDonkey

Depends, if the spreader has rotating 'knifes' that break it up, instead of just a bed feeding onto spreaders behind. A lot of farmers have to have a way to bust up lime that is hauled in by truck and sits in the rain for days or weeks in big piles. It cakes. If it's dry ash I wouldn't be so worried, at least it will be able to separate as it's flung and it will just be very fine and not concentrated to build up any depth.

WDH

Jeremy,

If we see a big ash cloud, we will know what you are doing  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodtroll

I think i need to go out with a shovel a bucket and camera.  Stuff i saw today was a mix of texture. Some course stuff mixed with the fines, and gooey just a little way down.
I may just need to pile it for now. Just push it out with a D7. We do not have a lot of typical ag around here, but a manure spreader may work and I may be able to get one.

I can see it now telling my boss that the d7 is stuck in ash past its tracks. :-\

chevytaHOE5674

Be careful with a manure spreader if the ash it too heavy, dense, or wet it will break the floor chains in the spreader. As a reference manure spreads don't really work for spreading ordinary dirt its too solid for the chains to move...

thecfarm

Boimas ashes use to be used on fields around here. I have not heard much about it for a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!