iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite saw wont idle

Started by oldsaw-addict, April 16, 2004, 06:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

MY DM50 is now officially up and running, but it is hard to get it to fire and to start it when cold and hot, plus the engine is SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW to accelerate to full speed from low revs. Why wont my saw idle and perform properly? Everything on it is original except for the air filter and spark plug. my compression is near 140 or so as of the last time I checked it, the seals on the crank are all good, the crankcase seals are good too, as is the fuel filter, which I just replaced last night, and the fuel line is new too. Please help me out here I've looked at everything and run out of ideas.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

When was the last time it was operating properly?

oldsaw

That or just gummy deposits.  I've got an old Wards saw that had been sitting for maybe 15 years or so.  There was some indescribably nasty stuff in the nooks and crannys of the gas tank and carb.  Fuel line just crumbled between my fingers.  Granted the saw is older than I am, but is still a bit cantankerous to get going.  Not that I have anything to do with it when it does, since it uses obsolete chain made of pure unobtanium.  But it will idle all day long.  AFTER, that is, I got the scum out.

Now my Sears labeled Poulan won't start hot or cold, but once it does, revs up quite nicely thank you very much.  Pour some gas down the carb and reassemble it while it's running.  Can't decide if it's worth fixing or just throw it in the trash since I'm in it for a full $5.  But don't know when I'll have another stump to take out, which is why I bought it in the first place.

Glop, or a leaky diaphragm, them's my guesses...assuming you have the carb set up in the ballpark, which should be a given with you.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

chet

I would put my bet on a weak ignition.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

oldsaw-addict

I suspect the ignition for some reason too, its got an electronic ignition system I think. Anyone know where I can get the parts for it, I dont like having to replace the ignition unit but I guess its a more likely cause since the saw also lacks power at WOT in the cut. This thing is a 4.5CID engine that I estimate to have about 4-5HP  and it gets doubled in the 2:1 reduction system on the pulleys so I would think it would have the torque and HP to cut most ANYTHING with no problem at all. I need to start looking for a new ignition system now. Is the ignition system on the 360-750 series saws compatible or not, if I can just swap one out then I'm hoping my problem will be fixed without much trouble, if not I'm in a deep hole getting filled with crap faster than I can throw it out. :D I should just start praying now right? then I'll have to go out and eventually buy a Stihl TS760 or a Husky 3120K cut off saw, I'm hoping I dont need to get a new saw due to the issue of $$$ in wallet and price tag on saw.

oldsaw-addict

IT coulda been running so poorly cause the plug wasnt tight enough in the cylinder. operator error of course. I'm hoping I cured it, I also cleaned my ignition system up alot, then the contacts and all those places that may cause poor performance. I'll try it out tomorrow and report the findings. Thanks for your ideas and help here everyone. I'll holler if I need anything else.

Thank You Sponsors!