iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decisions decisions.. Newbie needs help!

Started by janhalvor, April 02, 2013, 03:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janhalvor

Greetings from Norway everyone!

This is my first post on the FF, but I have gone through a lot of threads already, and I have learned a lot! ( I hope..)  :)

I´m on the look for my first sawmill, but here in Norway the selection of sawmills is quite bad. You´ll find the big brands here, but if You are on the look for a cheap, simple sawmill, there are very few options.

After many hours on the ForestryForum, I think I have found out what i want. Below are the criteria:

- Max price 5000$ incl shipping to Linden New Jersey.
- Cutting length approx 5 meter ( ehhh, around 16 feet I mean)
- Log Dia 25-30inch
- The sawmill should be simple and rugged!
- It should be portable.
- A fairly "big" engine. ( around 13hp or so)

I´ve been looking at the Woodland HM126, Hud-Son Oscar121/328 and HFE30, Norwood lumberlite 26ml, but the sawmill that I fell most for are the EZ Boardwalk JR. In my eyes this is the perfect sawmill for my use, portable, simple, rugged.. But there is a "problem". The track for the sawmill is one section, 180inches long. Normally this is not a bad thing, but when it comes to shipping costs.. I estimate the shipping cost for the other mills (Except Hud-Son perhaps) will be approx 5-800$ to Norway. For the EZ JR the shipping cost will be approx 1200$.

What do you guys think, Is the EZ Boardwalk JR worth the extra money in shipping costs?  :)

Regards Jan Halvor

EZ Boardwalk JR, Volvo BM 430, MF 675, Pilkemaster Evo 36 firewood processor.

redbeard

Have you thought about buying sawmill head only and fabricate a track. Shipping long lengths can get expensive.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

roghair

Hi Jan, Welcome! Nice to see an other European member...
Why is WoodMizer not on your list, they have a dealer in Norway and I think they produce in Poland  or Germany for the European market. In that case you don't have to deal with freight, insurance and duty etc.
Have you considered to build your own mill; that is what I am doing, but it is a hobby project althought it is getting out of control sometimes. If you want a big engine, make it bigger than 13 HP. I have 13 HP but wish I had more.
Good luck!
built a sawmill

roghair

built a sawmill

Chuck White

janhalvor, Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Glad you decided to join us!

Lots of good people here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

janhalvor:
Welcome to the forum.  What species of trees do you have where you are located?
What is the average or median dbh.
You said "I´ve been looking at the Woodland HM126, Hud-Son Oscar121/328 and HFE30, Norwood lumberlite 26ml, but the sawmill that I fell most for are the EZ Boardwalk JR."  These are all brands that I know virtually nothing about.  So I can not offer you any advice.  If you can get back copies of the Sawmill and Woodlot magazine there might be write ups on all of these mills.  On the other hand I suggest you purchase something that you can get spare parts for without having to be down for an extended period of time.  Just my thoughts.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

drobertson

Welcome and hope all goes well for you, service is formost, then cost.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Well worth it! but I may be a little partial...

I would talk to Edward. He could probably hook you up with shorter sections.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Robert Duval

Welcome. My father and I bought a Hudson mill to see if we could make a go of this as a business with out spending a huge amount of money up front. What I have learned is that drobertson's comment is 100% correct. We have an oscar 328 with a 13.5 hp motor on it and it's not a bad little mill but when you get more info on milling and how to run your mill from another manufacture it's kind of disheartning. Needless to say I won't make the same mistake twice.

Nomad

I've never used an EZ Boardwalk mill, but heard a lot of good things about them on here.  I would seriously consider the idea mentioned by Redbeard about getting one and having your track fabricated locally.  It would save you on the purchase price, taxes, shipping, and allow you to have the track made to your specifications.  Get the biggest motor you can for the mill you buy.  You won't be sorry about spending the extra money on that count.
     Welcome to the Forum, and good luck on your purchase!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

janhalvor

Thanks alot for all answers! Much appreciated!!   :)

I did´t tell you guys in the first post, but I´m not buying a sawmill to make money on it. I have my own land, with quite a lot of forrest, and in a few years I´m gone take over my Dads property aswell, and his property is 100 times the size of mine.
I want a portable sawmill that I can use, when I´m not working offshore, to supply myself and my family with lumber produced with our own equipment from our own forrest! :)

I´ve been looking on the Woodmizer LT10 and the LT15 and also the Norwood ML26. The prices for the LT10 in Norway is around 6500$ with the small 7hp engine. For the LT15 with the 18hp kohler, it is 8500$. The Norwood ML26 with the 9hp engine is around 7000$. I guess these sawmills are very good, but I think i can get more sawmill for my budget if I buy one from USA.  ;D

I´ve been looking a lot on the FF the last weeks, and many people says that the EZ Boardwalk is made of "standard" parts that you can buy "everywhere". Maybe this is the same with the other brands, like Woodland and Hud-son?

There are mainly two species of tree I´m going to mill, Pine and Norway Spruce. Maybe some Oak and Birch, but just occasionally.

WDH

From my experience, the LT15 will serve you well.  It is rugged and reliable.  The EZ Boardwalk Jr. has gotten good reviews from sawyers that have one, but I personally do not have any experience with them.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alecs

Does anyone have experience with the Linn Lumber mill?  On their website, they sell everything from a complete mill, to just the saw/carriage (BYO track), to individual parts to design your own creation around.  The specs look competitive, but I haven't heard much mention of them on this forum.  The option to buy the carriage and BYO track might be good for saving on shipping to Norway.

BTW, Jan, what part of Norway are you in?  My cousin and his family live way up in Tromsø.

giant splinter

Jan Halvor
There is a sawmill made in Sweden that might fit your needs, it is a well designed bandsaw mill.
Here is a link:lennartsfors.com/index.php/en/products/sawmills
I have no idea of the price and not sure if you can even buy one in the USA but seems its would be a good thing for you to check out.
roll with it

janhalvor

WDH: I agree with you, the LT 15 would be perfect for me, but its to expensive for me unfortunately  :( I need to find another sawmill for around 5000$, pluss freight to Norway.

alecs: I live in the southern part of Norway, about 2,5 hrs drive from Oslo :) Btw: The Linn lumber mill locked very good, I´m also interested to hear any thoughts about it!

giant splinter: I´m aware of the Lennartsfors Sawmill, but its quite expensive, for the standard mill you have to pay over 9000$. ( In Sweden) I´m not sure if there are any dealers in USA. :)

janhalvor

One more thing, Mister Sawmill´s model 22 with the 13 hp Honda engine and the trailer package does look quite interesting.. Anyone have any thoughts about this model? ( Could not find much when i searched the forum..)

EZland

I hope a is well with you EZ Jr.  I have owned mine since September and love it.  Great little mill to learn on.....but I would say there is not much little about it.  I have milled amost 3000 board feet.  I will say get a good blade source for purchasing and sharpnering. I keep 12 blades on hand I rotate.  With about a 50/50 mix of blade sets.   Makes a world of difference. 

As for blade lube I started using the standard mix for that EZ board walk recommended, but then switched to a water 80 %, pine oil 20% , dish detergent and bleach mix.  I hated the smell of the deseil and did not like spraying fuel every where. 

Lots to learn and these guys really helped on this forum.   
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Leigh Family Farm

Here's my two cents...

You live in a country that deals in Metric while all the sawmills you mentioned deal in Imperial. I would look at availability of spare parts before considering a sawmill in the US. It would really suck if your mill was down because of a 3/8" threaded nut broke off and there was no metric equivalent.

Freight is a big thing. From the reading I have done, WM LT10 or LT15, Norwoods, and I think Hud-Sons all come on a standard pallet. That makes hauling and shipping much easier. Also, it might cost $800 to ship but what are the import duties, taxes, etc. on the item? 

Have you considered a Logosol Chainsaw Mill? Its made nearby and might be cheaper.

Again, just my two cents...
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

roghair

built a sawmill

Leigh Family Farm

The sad thing is that I remember reading that other post. Wah wah wahhhhhhhh.....  :-\
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

janhalvor

Kilgrosh: I ended up buying the EZ Boardwalk JR. The freight was quite expensive, but I figured out that it was worth the extra money. It should not be any problems with the Imperial, there are several shops around here that got imperial "hardware".

After I started to read on this Forum, I quickly found out that I wanted a bandsawmill and not a chainsawmill ;)

Roghair: I got the mill today, have a look on the other Topic: "About to order my first sawmill" :)

Thank You Sponsors!