iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID

Started by JB Husky, December 20, 2016, 07:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Husky

I've been cutting for the past year and a half on my neighbor's 100 acres. There are cherry, hickory, locusts, sassafras, and poplars that I typically can identify with little trouble but I have recently come across several trees that I can't positively ID. It doesn't really make a difference because the trees are already down and I'll cut and burn them eventually but I wondered if anyone knew what they were. The one bark picture looks a little funny because all of the contours are filled with ice. Let me know what you guys think.Thanks in advance.

455 Rancher
562 xP
Stihl 460
Echo 750 EVL
Antique Brave splitter

JB Husky

I guess I forgot to include I think it is some sort of oak
455 Rancher
562 xP
Stihl 460
Echo 750 EVL
Antique Brave splitter

WDH

Take a close-up pic of the end grain. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bitternut

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ahlkey

Would agree from the pictures looks like a mature Big tooth Aspen.  However, you should be able to tell quickly once it is cut as the difference between Aspen (softwood) and an Oak is huge. Likewise, if you examine a freshly cut oak you should notice the pores found in the growth rings are very open and porous.     

Weekend_Sawyer

That bark really looks like chestnut oak to me.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

JB Husky

Thanks for the replies. I didn't get home before dark so I'll run up and check for pores tomorrow. It definitely splits like hardwood.
455 Rancher
562 xP
Stihl 460
Echo 750 EVL
Antique Brave splitter

DelawhereJoe

Any chance you can find a dead leaf on a branch, or a smaller branch say 5-6"...
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!