iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

retread skidder tires?

Started by thenorthman, April 01, 2013, 10:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenorthman

Anybody here ever use em?  Found a place in texas that can maybe do em, want to know if its worth it first.
well that didn't work

Bill_G

I wouldn't waste my money , but then again we are in the Granite State here .

barbender

I've never heard of it being done, FWIW.
Too many irons in the fire

lumberjack48

We had four 18.4-34's retreaded back in 75. There was a place in Hibbing MN. that did it.
We took all four off the skidder, took rims an all to them. About a week later they called to come get-em, they had a deep aggressive tread nice looking tire. We ran-em about a year, with no problems. They were on a C5, we sold the skidder. I can't remember the cost, i believe it was about half of a new tire. The casings had to be in excellent shape, no breaks and ect, they payed $100. for good casings.
From the experience i had with recaps i'd do it again 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

If you have good side walls I wouldn't worry about having them retreaded. Cuts in the side walls can not be repaired so alot of skidder tires fail on that aspect.
Bill

SwampDonkey

We do some traveling on some roads when thinning that have very angular rocks. They come to the surface when fresh graded, until the log trucks pack them down good. Anyway, one fellow thought he'd save a buck on retreads for the pickup truck. I was headed into the bush on one of these roads and I met the guy coming out of the woods one morning. He was riding on all four rims, every retread tire was flat. It was quite a site, I couldn't help but laugh. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lumberjack48

I had a couple recap tires on my semi trailer, i ran them two yrs with no issues. They were called cold-caps, they were a big seller in the 70's, you'd see a cap a long hwy 2 once in awhile. The grain haulers ran-em to, hwy 2 was a steady line of trucks.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

a few years back i tried some recaps on a pickup. i used 235...16 michelin with bandad retread. i put them on the rear and didnt take them off till they were worn out. they went just over 100,000 miles

thenorthman

Thanks again,

Found a place closer to home that may be able to do em, waiting on a quote...

Mostly glacial till in these parts, sand, round rocks, the occasional granite formation, and lots of shale in places.  The hard ground is generally steep yarder/cat territory so it shouldn't be to big a deal. 

If the price is right may have to go for it, sidewalls are in pretty good shape, few nicks here and there, but nothing real deep, can see where a chainsaw bit one of the front tires...
well that didn't work

tlandrum

ive got  set of recaps on the rear of my f66g that were 10 years old when i got them and i have ran them for a year now.  they were pretty dried out when i got them and had been sitting for a couple of years. there are a few chunks missing in them now but they still go good in the woods.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

thenorthman

So they only carry retread for graders in the same size tire, but the compound is good enough, the lugs are a bit wide... but should be better than bald.  and for less than half of what a new Firestone would cost... sounds good to me
well that didn't work

thenorthman

lets try a picture again...

well that didn't work

CX3

The fronts of my tj380 are capped. They work out just fine for now. Might blow out in the morning who knows
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

SwampDonkey

I guess you have to look at the prices and make the decision on that. As far as reliability, the verdict is out on that. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

I've used recaps before on logging equipment. They worked good.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

gspren

My foggy memory thinks I read somewhere that they won't do farm tires if the casings are over 5 years old.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!