iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Guy Question

Started by CBRSLIDER, April 15, 2004, 10:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CBRSLIDER

Hello.  I'm new here and have taken awhile to look around.  Looks like alot of great info here.  I am in the process of picking up a new Husky chainsaw and am looking at the 365.  I did a quick search of the site and didn't find much on the 365.  Sounds like the 372xp is a favorite around here.  Is there a reason why most shy away from the 365?  Are there problems or issues that I should know about?  

I am completely new to chainsaws and have never operated one.  I am putting in an outside woodburner/boiler for my new house and will be cutting ALOT of wood to keep it going.  I talked with the local dealer and he recommended either the 365 or the 372xp.  The reason that I chose the 365 is because the extra $100 saved by buying the 365 can be used to buy a pair of chaps and a helmet.  I figure that safety is a major priority.  I race quads and don't race without all my protective gear, and figure that it is only common sense to use protective gear while using the saw.  Can you guys leave comments and ideas on the 365?  I'd really appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks
Ray

Mark M

Hi Ray

Welcome to the group! What size of tree are you going to be cutting? Know that would help get a recommendation.

By all means get the safety equipment and try to get some instructions if you can. Husky has a free video on chainsaw safety that is pretty DanG good. Make sure you learn all about kickback and keep an eye on the tip of your bar.

Mark

Rocky_J

Keep in mind as you learn to cut with your chainsaw that 99 and 44/100% of new chainsaw users will continue cutting after they have dulled their chain, putting lots of unneccessary wear and tear on their chainsaw. Start educating yourself about chains and chain filing. No matter what chainsaw you buy, odds are it will have a chain and will need sharpening on a regular basis. The sooner you learn to file proficiently, the more productive you will be with your saw.

Kevin

Welcome Ray;
It's all about power to weight.
More saw for less weight.

357XPG
3.45 cu.inch / 56.5 cm³   4.4 hp / 3.2 kW   12.1 lbs / 5.5 kg       

4.0 cu.inch / 65.1 cm³   4.6 hp / 3.4 kW   13.0 lbs / 6.0 kg       

372XP
4.3 cu.inch / 70.7 cm³   5.4 hp / 3.9 kW   13.4 lbs / 6.1 kg       

tony_marks

now ,,after kevins specs. . u can see why we like the 372..
   for a brand new user a 372 is gonna be quite a jump..
   that saws smooth an well balanced ,,but in my opinion not a learner saw.. it mite pay u to pick up a used 2150 poulan an learn on it... shouldnt take to long. then when the pooulan quits u can go get u 365 or 372... jmo good luck

ps rocky said keep u chain sharp.. that cant be said enuff.

Ianab

Hi Ray
I guess the 372xp is a serious professional saw, the 365 is more like a semi-pro saw. If you are cutting every day you will appreciate the extra power and durability of the 372xp. If you are a part time firewood cutter or weekend sawyer then the 365 and the safety gear is probably a better buy. If you are like me then a 'lot of sawing' is probaly a couple of hours a week average. Get a semi-pro saw, decent safety gear and study up on chain sharpening and safe cutting techniques. Have fun and be safe  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SasquatchMan

Ray, welcome...  I was in the same position you are bout a year ago... I needed a firewood and construction saw.  Sounds like you'll be cutting a lot of wood, and it's well worth having a saw you really like...Obviously the 372 is a favorite with everyone around here who has one.  The question is, how much saw do you need?  What size bar are you gonna run, what type of wood etc all determine what you'll be happiest with.  (I bought a bigger saw than I expected to and I'm happy I did).

If you don't have extra $$, buy a cheaper saw and chaps and a helmet.
Jonsered's website has some pretty good basic safety and felling technique stuff... I found it quite handy, and have used the methods outlined for felling about 30 trees now, and all came down perfectly.  Make sure you really understand how kickback occurs, and that you understand when a saw is likely to be pinched etc before you even start.

You're gonna have a lot of fun soon.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Oregon_Rob

Your other option, is to look around for a good, used 372 and as it so happens, I am thinking about selling mine. I have a new 385 in route and don't need two saws quite so close together. I will be looking to pick up a 346 instead.
Chainsaw Nerd

CBRSLIDER

Hey thanks guys for the quick and informative responses.  I went to talk to the dealer again today and picked up the Husky 365 with a 20" bar, plus the chaps and helmet.  I had talked to him at length about saw and had a budget and by buying the 365, I was able to pickup the other gear.  I have two friends close by that have 372's and they both love them.  I wish I could have swung the extra couple bucks but oh well.  I still think the saw will do exactly what I need it to do and do it well.

I plan on cutting both tri-axle loads of wood and going out into the national forest here and cutting, so this saw should be able to tackle just about everything I can throw at it.  Plus when I am out cutting, my buddy will be there with his 372 if I need help.

I read over my original post and got a laugh out of the "ALOT of wood"  comment I made.  I guess as a newbie, the occasional times that I am out cutting will seem like alot to me but not to those guys that do it everyday.

I'll be sure to checkout the jonesred site to get some tips.  I have been doing alot of surfing to learn safety techniques and proper use of the saw.  Any info is always welcome.  Thanks again guys.

Ray

-btw-a used 372 around here commands top dollar with the large logging industry we have.    

kenskip1

Ray
    Husky, Husky Husky,Doesn't anyone use Stihl any more? Welcome to the group Ray.Many happy saw users here, even some that like Huskies. Much good information about sharpening, fuel mix ext. Here Safety is Paramount. Have fun in the group, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

oldsaw-addict

QuoteRay
    Husky, Husky Husky,Doesn't anyone use Stihl any more?  Here Safety is Paramount. Have fun in the group, Ken

I'm getting an 075 soon.Is that Stihl enough for you?  SAFETY IS THE #! concern for ANYONE with a chainsaw, IF you have one you MUST have hearing protection, chaps, eye protection, and STEEL toed boots if you're a new saw user. I recommend steel toes for anyone but the new saw users are best when wearing steel toes for protection, the saw falls down and the engine is still going at half or full speed, and the saw hits the toe of your boots, the only thing it'll hit it the steel toe of the boot, not your toe made of flesh and blood.

I hope you enjoy that new 365.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

dozerdan

HI Ray
 Sorry that I wasn't around to reply to your post, before that you bought your saw.
 You made a wise decision on the saw, along with the safety gear.
 The only difference between the 365 and the 372 is the bore size, carb, air filter and the air filter cover is shaped a little different. The rest of the parts on the saw are identical.
 If you ever want more power in the future, you can bolt a cylinder, piston, carb on your 365 and you will have a 372. These parts are a direct bolt on.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

jokers

Dan,
I know that you`re a modest guy, but I think it would have been more than fair for you in this instance, to blow your own horn a little and point out that you could Power Port this saw for him in the future and it will outcut the 372 on the top end, have a broader powerband,  and run cooler and last longer, for about the same money as a topend kit from Husky.

Russ

jokers

QuoteRay
    Husky, Husky Husky,Doesn't anyone use Stihl any more?

Hi Ken,
Husky has eclipsed Stihl in several areas of importance over the last several years. The new ms361 looks like Stihl may however want back in the game.

Russ

Preston

Welcome Ray
Well I'm a Stihl and loove them to! Husky a good saw too my father wore out a couple of the old 580 i do believe! Anyways just want to say Stihl in the woods, Stihl a good saw, Stihl stumpen wood, Stihl around, Stihl running stronger then ever, and I Stihl run one and its Stihl running today!! :D
Preston

firtol88

QuoteWelcome Ray
Well I'm a Stihl and loove them to! Husky a good saw too my father wore out a couple of the old 580 i do believe! Anyways just want to say Stihl in the woods, Stihl a good saw, Stihl stumpen wood, Stihl around, Stihl running stronger then ever, and I Stihl run one and its Stihl running today!! :D

So yer saying it's the marketing that does it for you... :D  

sry had to though I've already stated my preference you'll find I'm not much for the fan clubs...
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Stan

I've got one of each. The Stihl for the heavy work and a much lighter Husky.  8) 8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

CBRSLIDER

Well guys I had the chance to break in the saw today.  My friend and I went to cut some wood for him and to give me some experience.  I have to say I don't know which part is harder, the cutting or the carrying.  I jumped right into it after watching my buddy.  He kept an eye on me.  I am absolutely beat.  We cut up about 4 hard maples and a couple black cherry tops.  Max diameter was about 14"  and my saw really ripped thru them.  I was really impressed.  I am looking forward to heading back out tomorrow.

We filled up his long bed chevy p/u which has a dump insert.  It was alot of work but also alot of fun.  We each went thru a tank and a half of gas.  Definately a great learning experience.  I have a completely new appreciation for those guys out there in the woods working everyday.  

Plus the chaps and helmet worked just great.  NOW I need to find a good pair of steel-toed boots and some nice gloves.  Then to work on my technique.  

Thanks for the info and concern for my safety.  I look forward to stopping in often because I know that I will have more questions as I get more experience.

Ray

firtol88

Glad to hear you like the saw and all went well.  8) ;D
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Thank You Sponsors!