iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sick lt15

Started by hackberry jake, March 29, 2013, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I went up to a distant neighbors house today to see his mill. I sharpened some bands for him and wanted to make sure they were working. His mill was very sick. He said he was hoping my resharps would fix her. I examined it and tried using it to no avail. The tires on the band wheels were worn flush with the wheels. I told him to order some. The drive belt was also loose and I helped him tighten it. A lot of his bands need more set. Well, when the "tires" come in I will go back and hopefully the old mill will get a clean bill of health.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

You're a good neighbor Jake!  smiley_thumbsup  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

They've sawn quite a bit with it cutting like that! I don't know how. He said it would take about 20min to make one 12" wide 12' long cut in oak. They thought it might be normal for smaller mills to be that slow. I hope the tires is the biggest issue.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

No, no, that 15 should do a lot better than that, by far!

Sounds to me like it just needs a good (and complete) alignment!

The neighbor will think he has a new mill!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tyb525

I think it happens more than we realize. People with a bandmill and no real knowledge of how to maintain it. They think it's working fine, the slowness or inaccuracy is just "normal". Another reason to encourage mill owners to join the forum. :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Thank you, Doctor.  Please, however, do not prescribe any pecan (smiley_devil)  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I think what really happens is:  The depreciating performance is so gradual, that the operator doesn't see it happening.

Then a different operator steps into the picture and notices that this particular mill isn't up to speed!

hackberry jake

Well I talked with him today and he said he called woodmizer. They told him the belts were supposed to be flat on the top (I thought they were supposed to be crowned) and that the problem was the old dead oak he was cutting mixed with limited horsepower (18 that is long in the tooth) mixed with wrong hook angle (10). I tried to explain that belts are cheap and it would be worth it to try a new set. I think he is going to order them now. He wants me to sharpen some of his bands at 4 degrees and he ordered some new 4 degree bands from woodmizer. Do lt15s have flat top belts?

elk42

yes it is flat; Check the air filter
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Compensation

If it helps, my lt10 7hp cut 16 pieces of 1/2"x19.5"x8.5' red oak in under a hour. That 15 should smoke mine.

How do you set and sharpen your blades? I never done it, just curious.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Tree Feller

Jake, I recently milled some 10' x 20" Red Oak and Post Oak logs with my 13 hp mill and 10 degree bands. I'm pretty sure a pass was taking less than a minute and I was going slow to avoid any wavy lumber.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!