iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difficult Sawing Sites

Started by Magicman, March 29, 2013, 02:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Some are a pure joy, some are OK, and then.....

On a recent sawing job, I set up at two different sites.  The first location was steep and then with a swampy situation below the hillside.  A backhoe gnawed down the hillside to a level site.

The fresh dirt was pushed into the swampy area, causing it to be very springy.  That Elm stump was removed.

Then a chain was hooked from the backhoe bucket to the rear of the sawmill.  Together we were able to situate the sawmill on the site.  The stabilizers continually had to be adjusted as the sawmill gradually sank while sawing.

Then it was off to the second site which had been leveled by a dozer.  (The second site was on the hilltop above the "FX4" decal on my truck in the above picture.)

Next the sawmill was hooked up to the dozer.

Up the hill it went with the axle sometimes dragging the ground.

The sawmill was then spotted on the freshly leveled sawing site. 

I did not get a picture of the dozer dragging the F250 out of the muck and up the hill.   :)  The life and times of a portable sawyer.   ;D     
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Do you have a sticker on your WM, "Got Mud?"  :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jay C. White Cloud

You are an Angel for going there!!!
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Banjo picker

Lynn I don't think I could have done that.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mad murdock

your motto needs to be "to go where no mill has gone before" Magic!  That is what I would call going above and beyond the call of duty< or maybe it would be appropriate to call it cruel and unusual punishment? :D smiley_thumbsup
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Chuck White

I've been in some "very questionable" sawsites over the years.

They weren't quite as bad a that one, Lynn.

I've had to have my mill move in with a tractor a few times, but I was able to drive my truck it under it's own traction and power!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

haywire woodlot

How 'd they get the lumber out of there?
Dave

tyb525

Looks like the kind of site where about 10lbs of mud builds up on each boot pretty quick!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

logman 219

all that work to saw those sticks in the background of the first two pictures???

Peter Drouin

No way MM would I hook my mill to a dozer, or work in mudd like that. the guy don't have money enough, you know the old saying,  give an inch they'll take a mile :D :D the next time might be worse place.
but we all run our mills the way we want, good luck to ya ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bugdust

Ain't no dozer goin to hook to my 'Mizer .... no way Jack!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Ianab

Doesn't look that bad ;)
I've sawn in places thar dozer would have had problems getting in and out of :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Yes the Debarker earned it's keep and no, the sawmill was never in danger of being damaged.

At both sites the backhoe was set up and swung the logs from the pile to the sawmill loader.
After the two trailers were filled, the lumber was dead stacked until another trailer could be secured.  The total for this job was 6244 bf of Red Oak and ERC lumber all sawed 1 1/16".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

m wood

most maneuverable method I found was pulling it in with the cat.

this is about 40 feet from its permanent home.  I got a lot of rock to bring in

It was trial and error (no error in this case) to see if the caterpillar was the way to go.  No doubt about it!  I cleared my remote and secluded saw yard right in the middle of the spruce trees.  This used to be mine and the kids tent camping site.  Now it is saw camp 1. :D  I hope we got enough elbow room when were actually milling and loading(i think we do).  All our work is right there.

starting to bring all the crap on the land to the business spot now.  Trailer is some winter storage and will become our tool shed and office of sorts.  The shed I just wanted a 1/4 mile closer to the saw.  That was a challenge!

Its all getting closer with each passing day.  Now if the ground would hurry up and firm a bit.  The next couple weeks is bringing in stone on the roads.  This morning I rig thee pick up for hauling.  I cant keep taking the loader the 500 yards with 1 scoop! :D. I can hear the diesel pouring through!

thanks Lynn for the posts.  I dont know what I'd do without my track loader
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Chuck White

Mark; Now that's what I'd call "moving in"!  ;)

Lookin' good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You da man Mark.  Put the "P" in portable and get-r-done.   smiley_thumbsup

I was hoping that others would share their "difficult" sites.   :)

Nomad

This was in urban Atlanta.  The driveway was so narrow that, with both mirrors folded in and two wheels on the curb, I had about an inch of clearance on each side of the truck.  Took about a 16 point turn to get the truck rotated out of there.  The boards had to come off the side of the mill, over another big log; I had my back against a fence when I took this pic and my truck was right behind it.  The other side went almost to the the owner's back door.

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Fla._Deadheader

No photos, but, more than once, had to have the trailer with the peterson on it, hauled through knee deep mud-manure- water, to get to the logs. Logs were way too big to move.

Ever try moving things using a team of "skidding oxen" ? REALLY need to pay attention, once they get down to the pullin part.  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 30, 2013, 08:41:56 AM

I was hoping that others would share their "difficult" sites.   :)

this is hard as it gets for me :D

this is some of the jobs that I have done, the last pic I had to level the mill up most times I don't work that hard,
like I said we all run our saw mill biz the way we want, no disrespect to anyone, and to all good luck sawing :D :D :D ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bibbyman

How about setting up on the sidewalk in down town St. Joseph, Missouri?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

once set, not too much difficult. Getting there is another story,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I bet that they did not like it when you started cutting down the street trees  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SAWMILL BUDDY

You got to go where the money's at.

Thank You Sponsors!