iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It is your job!

Started by kderby, March 29, 2013, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

One of my crew ran over my chainsaw with the skidsteer.  The other crew member had set it down.  I am older and more experienced but I was not there to intercede.  He said the usual thing,  "I didn't know it was there." 

At the end of the day, I said this, without anger:

If you are operating equipment, it is your job to do it safely without damage to crew, equipment or product.

I told the crew we were lucky it was only a chainsaw and not a crew member.  He is a good kid and sometimes things happen.  I hope the experience/message sinks in.  Otherwise he will be a problem for someone else!

Kderby

Chuck White

I'd say "you done good" Kderby.

Things like that happen and we get lucky because it wasn't a person!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

It sounds like you handled it well, not just for the equipment operator, but for the "set it down" employee also.  He was just as responsible (or irresponsible).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CalebL

This kinda involves one of my greatest fears.  I have a 5 year old boy who loves to help me around the shop and sawmill.  Since I bought the Cat skidsteer, I have noticed I have a lot bigger blind spot directly behind me than the New Holland I had.  I went ahead and spent some money putting the back up alarm (it doesn't have a horn) on it and have been constantly showing my boy to always stay where I can see him when I'm on it. 

My biggest fear is he will get behind me when I'm backing up.  I can't tell you how many times I get on and off that thing just to check and see what is behind me. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

dgdrls

I'm unclear, you told the kid running the Skid-steer he is responsible or the whole crew they are responsible?

I kind of lean toward the individual who put the saw down owns more of this than the rest of them,
especially if the skid-steer is running in a dedicated path. 

None the less I hope the message was heard by all of them,
and the good news, as you pointed, out no-one was injured,

DGDrls

beenthere

QuoteI can't tell you how many times I get on and off that thing just to check and see what is behind me. 
Look into the small camera with cab display to take care of that dead space....be it whatever, but more important your kids. Saves on the noise the backup alarm makes. ;)

I agree that the responsible guy is the one who set the saw down in an unsafe place. Biggest reason I put a saw scabbard on my tractor, and now do not set it down in the woods. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

You handled that well, indeed.
I've read a lot of similar posts on here, and I've done it myself. It seems every time we set a saw down near a tire, it gets run over. You'd think we'd all have learned a lesson by now. No?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ST Ranch

Glad to hear it was NOT a person run over. Agree with beenthere - add a back up camera and buy a good one [I bought a cheap one and it only lasted a few days and died - vibration or sensitive to voltage bumps]].
I have a skid steer and ran over a brand new 372xp - OUCH. It was my fault cuz I left in on the side of the landing on the ground. Then bought back up camera to help. I ALSO added a tool tray on the top of my bobcat and carry my saw on top when not in use - keep a 5 lb extinguisher there as well - works good.  Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Axe Handle Hound

I would have given both that same talk.  You just can't afford to put responsibility on only one of the crew when it comes to safety around heavy equipment.  The ground crew needs to believe it's their job to keep the workspace clear of tools and people and the operator needs to know he is responsible for not running anyone/anything over.  In my opinion, redundant systems are essential when it comes to this sort of thing. 

thecfarm

I ALWAYS put my saw by a tree,rock,or any place that is just about impossible for me to get too,because I will run it over. I did run over it once. I had a box on my other tractor. Was in there for more than 10 years. Somehow I did not get it in there right or something,it fell out and I run over it with the rear tire of the tractor,just the handle was broke,lucky. And I added a higher lip on the back of the box.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

If I had a dollar for every saw that's been run over by a skidder, I would quit my day job tomorrow.   ;D

I put the bulk of the blame on the person who set it down. Anyone involved in a logging operation should have enough sense to stay out of the path of a skidder.  If they don't, then they shouldn't be contributing to the gene pool, anyway. The saw, however, is just a piece of dumb iron, it's not easily seen and it certainly can get out of the way by itself.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

rmack

I work in the oilsands, maximum 12 people on a crew.

If one person screws up anything, whole crew goes for drug test. You can refuse the drug test but then you are recorded as being guilty and may even face financial liability. needless to say, no drug test, no more job.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Kingcha

Heck even when I am working by myself I always looks for a spot that my tractor cannot get, to put my saw done.  Today that was next to the pole barn on a block protected by a tree.    I too think its more the one putting the saw down then the driver.   
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: CalebL on March 29, 2013, 12:00:33 PM
I went ahead and spent some money putting the back up alarm (it doesn't have a horn) on it and have been constantly showing my boy to always stay where I can see him when I'm on it.   

What about using two mirrors? One in front of you (rearview mirror) and then another on the back of the tractor angled to see the blind spot. Mail trucks and UPS trucks have this set up so that they can see the loading docks and not run over anyone when backing up. I would think it would cost you about $50 to make it happen.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

lyle niemi

It wasnt his fault cause he was texting his girlfriend at the time..lol actually that isnt a joke, Im surprised more people dont get hurt because they got thier cell phones glued to thier hands.

drobertson

Glad you did'nt get angry, but the one who set it down in the road or wherever, is to be spoken to, unacceptable, the one operating the machine has enough to do without looking for every little thing he might or might not run over!  Unless they both run the machine and the one who set it down figured he would grab it before he got back on?  skabbards are a good thing, nothing left laying around,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

I don't know I was not there but I would have fired the guy that put the saw down ::) .I hang the saw on the tractor, or but it next to a tree where I can't run over it

heres where I hang it :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Beaudeane

My Stihl 029 super was put under the truck by yours truly at the onset of a summer thunder storm last year while cutting some trees in my back field. It was evening & I just ran out of daylight b4 it quit. I gathered my other tools up & put in the trk to go back to the house for the nite. Forgot about the saw until I heard the crunch when I started to head home. Bad feeling when u realize u screwed up good.... Luckily I only cracked the cover a little.. My saw has never been set under a vehicle since then... I was by myself so no one else to blame but I won't forget it
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: lyle niemi on March 29, 2013, 07:34:21 PM
It wasnt his fault cause he was texting his girlfriend at the time..lol actually that isnt a joke, Im surprised more people dont get hurt because they got thier cell phones glued to thier hands.
There was a guy on Ax Men last year, He was the horse logger from Virginia. He brings logs to me sometimes. Last month he was unloading his log truck with my tractor and ran into the side of our 2012 2500 dodge with a log. He was texting!

captain_crunch

I would have Canned guy who set saw down on the spot >:( >:( You DO NOT violate space of equiment opperator without his knowledge as in eye contact. My kids if were around equip were in my lap or on machine with me so I knew where they were. but all of them were opperators by 7-8 years old and 2 of 3 run selfloader truck or forklift for a liveing and Sis is a RN
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Brucer

The crew member is guilty of putting the saw in an unsafe place. Bad.

The operator is guilty of dangerous operation of equipment. Very serious.

Neither offense should lead to dismissal for a first offense. Why fire someone when you've just spent the price of a saw on their education?

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Brucer on March 31, 2013, 01:29:05 AM
The crew member is guilty of putting the saw in an unsafe place. Bad.

The operator is guilty of dangerous operation of equipment. Very serious.

Neither offense should lead to dismissal for a first offense. Why fire someone when you've just spent the price of a saw on their education?

Because the next time it will cost you more$$
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scully

I have destroyed a couple saws climbing trees . I know alot of arborists use a saw lanyard but I don't like the restrictions it causes in most situations ! So yep I watched a couple spiral to the ground ! My fault ! My saw ! On the ground however I practice the safe spot method ! It's tuff for a person who has employees use their stuff because more often than not the workers don't take as much care as they should ! Sorta like the rented mule concept ...... I almost think that if you have a small operation ,maybe the guy sawing should provide his own saw ! I wrote mine off on my taxes as work tools .
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!