iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which planetaries do I have

Started by David-L, March 29, 2013, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

The pinion bushings are leaking on one planetary casing so I took the cover off awhile back and the Planet gears themselves look ok, the ring gear looks ok as well as the sun gear and the end of the ex. the hub and sleeve or what I would call the inner ring gear behind the nut has some of the outer edge teeth missing from most likely a prior failure and was put back together like that. The casings I have you can see the bushings that are pressed into the case. They are steel and not brass to my knowledge. This inner ring gear piece looks kinda pie plate shaped when looking at it when it is attached still. The axle housing has PR75 stamped into it and when I explain this to some of the people around here they seem to think this is a Rockwell and some say Eaton set up but not sure. I am taking a load of cordwood out of there this a.m. and will take a pic of the casing. This is on a 1983 Timberjack 225. Are Rockwell and Eaton interchangable in some cases.

David-l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

bushmechanic

I think that a 1983 jack would have been made with Eaton differentials.The WR series planetaries had steel pins and needle bearings between the pins and pinion gears and they lock with a steel ball so the pin can't turn in the housing.The Rockwell had brass pins and they lock with a flat on the pin and the outer cover keeps that from turning.Pictures would narrow it down for sure.

VT_Forestry

If you type "PR75 Axle" into google, it comes back as Rockwell.  I don't know the first thing about skidder axles though, so that's the extent of my knowledge (right or wrong that's all I got!  :D )
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

David-L

Bushmechanic, here are some pics, I do believe the pinion shafts that hold the planetary gears which there are three are steel and not brass. I scratched them today. (steel ).

240b

isn't that a rockwell logo on the cover?  i've only seen those under a 208e

dixmont

what you have is prl625 rockwell they were apoor design they leak around the pin you can put a pr 75 planetary and outside cover in place of it if you need one i have some used ones 207 942 8331

David-L

Thanks for your post Dixmont, They are a poor design and do leak around the pinion shafts eventually. My manual says they are PRL594-N203 axle assembly. As long as I know they are a Rockwell I should be ok. I will be calling you as I do need some parts. I have some damage to the hub and sleeve assembly which I will replace and I do not recall any needle bearings that the planetary gears ride on ,just an inner and outer washer and the P-gear which rides on the pinion and a set screw holding the p-shaft. thanks David.

bushmechanic

Yep 240b is right that's the Rockwell logo on the cover. I can't say I've ever saw those type planetary in a machine around here. I think that dixmout knows what he's talking about. If it has steel pins then there must be a bronze bushing between the pin and the gear or needle bearings because you can't have steel on steel. Good luck on your repair and I'd like to see some pic's of the inside cause you have peaked my interest now.   

David-L

Bushmechanic,
  I agree steel on steel is no good. I am heading to the landing in a bit to take this apart and will take some pics of the inside. thanks for the help. I have been checking the magnetic plug each week on fridays and this planetery always has alot of silver on it compared to the rest. Something is just not right and I beleive it to be the hub and sleeve assembly is worn beyond what it should be. This planetary does not feel warm at all though after some long skids uphill on my lot i am cutting so that always makes me wonder a bit to.

David l

loggah

Some of those timberjack planetarys had a steel pins in the steel planet gears ,but they were coated with a teflon like substance. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

David-L

Thanks loggah,
Steel pins and teflon coating, once the teflon wheres off its steel on the magnets. Thats what I am seeing.

David

Thank You Sponsors!