iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Ugly Stumps

Started by SLawyer Dave, March 29, 2013, 01:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLawyer Dave

I got this email from a "farmer", who said he just bought some land and was going to plant an orchard.  So he cut down 7 large oak trees that were on it and wanted me to cut and haul all the wood off.  Seeing the stumps, I am amazed he did not kill himself falling the trees.  He put 3 of the trees into the only fence within range. 

beenthere

You are very right, that they be ugly stumps. Hopefully he lives through the next ones he needs to cut. And there is a lot of wood left in the stumps, which may be left a hair long for ease in grubbing out the root ball. If planting an orchard, grubbing the stumps may be in the plan too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VT_Forestry

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

Oh my, that is scary.  Mighta been fun to watch, but scary.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Yuck! Looks like a real rookie to me. Middle picture looks like it went the opposite way he intended? Makes me feel like a professional logger. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

MEloggah

thecfarm

I wished he was not so far away. I could show him the safe way to cut stumps.  ;D  I don't want to say he will end up getting hurt,but he has a good start to it. I just grew up around my Father cutting wood and he knew the safe way.
I had a job hauling brush for a nursing home about 16 years old I heard RUN . Never had to RUN away from a tree before. Than I saw the tree split about 10 feet up. Went home and told my Father and he told me a barber chair and why and told me I should find a differant job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grassfed

I'll bet he can run pretty fast! :D
Mike

Autocar

Bill

Al_Smith

Quote from: thecfarm on March 29, 2013, 03:16:20 PM
   Went home and told my Father and he told me a barber chair and why and told me I should find a differant job.
I've only had one ,early on and it's an eye opener . One of those can flip over and relieve you of your head . :o

lumberjack48

Thats what you call, [ Stab-in an running ]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SLawyer Dave

I get the feeling that the "new" saw he bought to fall the trees won't get a lot more use.  He is from a part of the world where the biggest trees they have are date palms, and I think he found out that falling and bucking wood is a lot harder work than he imagined.  It didn't take much convincing to make him promise to call me if he needs more trees felled.

Ianab

QuoteI think he found out that falling and bucking wood is a lot harder work than he imagined

It is if you are making cuts like that  ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I had a heavy leaning Black Locust to barber chair on me  :o and it is still there.  As far as I was concerned, it won.

I had a co-worker that was not so fortunate.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lumberjack48

Anyone who has fell trees, has experienced a barber chair. First thing that came to your mind is, how stupid that was, i sure hope nobody seen it.
Sounds stupid and it was, i've ran out of gas, you kind of pause, look up, look down, and see its starting to split, and its time for you to split. After that if i knew i was about out of gas, i checked before felling the next tree.

A barber chair is 99 percent human error, if you don't know how to fell a leaner, get somebody to show you, if you don't it maybe the last tree you cut.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SLawyer Dave

Ok, I'll bite, what is a barber chair?  Never heard that term before.  If your talking about leaners, then I suspect it is referring to a vertical split where the back side trunk tries to "jump out and getcha".  But for the life of me, I can't see the allusion to a barber chair.

BaldBob

Yes, you described a barber chair perfectly. I think the term comes from a similarity to the motion of how the lower portion of the old barber chairs would come up as the back was lowered for giving the customer a shave.

beenthere

Here is a vid of a "barber chair" happening. There are variations of this splitting, but generally splitting up the middle and the top falling over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAf61zz5VU
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

m wood

oh my, that barber chair was a doooozie!  his response seemed appropriate too.  I've had 6 footers or so but that was a BC for a giant
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

clww

Just the way accidents happen in the woods: FAST.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

John Woodworth

I's living proof for the time being that any fool can go to the hardware store and buy a cheap chainsaw and step into a world he does't understand or belong.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!