iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which OWB?

Started by southernilfarm, March 28, 2013, 11:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernilfarm

Hello,

I'm closely eyeballing Central Boiler OWBs.  Right now the two contenders are the EClassic 2400, and Classic 6048..or 7260.  There are no restrictions on OWBs here in my rural community, so I'm not limited to a gasser only.

Really like the idea of burning (and cutting) less wood with the EClassic.  That said, I'm also not a big fan of anything new until that technology is fully vetted/proven, so I'm considering a Classic burner also.

Thoughts on the two types of Central Boiler OWBs? 

Be well,
Mike
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL and other cool attachments.

Sonofman

Hi southern, welcome. I think the gassers at this point have been around enough and been proven to be fairly well designed and made, at least the ones made by the major mfgs. That does not mean they do not have faults, cause they do. I have a new 4030 that I just put in service this past fall. My only regret is that I did not do this sooner. Also like you, here in SC there is no restriction requiring a gasser. With our mild winter this far south, I could not see paying twice the cost to save a little wood. Things are likely different where you are, however. I might have gotten a gasser anyway if I had had the extra money.

Only having a classic, I can not really speak to what having a gasser is like. My classic is very easy to use and maintain. Check the water level, stir the ashes, scrape the sides, add ashtrol every day. Add wood as needed. Check the water composition often at first, then weekly, then monthly. If there are no leaks and no water is added, there should be no change. Enjoy a warm house without lining Duke Energy's pockets.
Located due west of Due West.

Logging logginglogging

I hafta say, my E-2300 is unbeleivably efficent. I only burned 4.5-5 corld all  so far this winter!!

southernilfarm

I'm fortunate that we have saved for this purchase and my wife is fully on-board with a OWB.  Will probably go with the E-Classic 2400.  I hurt myself enough to prevent me from cutting firewood over winter, and prefer to burn (and cut) less.  All that said, I got started way late last year cutting.  Cutting for next winter right now.

Thanks,
Mike
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL and other cool attachments.

Roger2561

Hello Southern.  Welcome to the forum.

I have the Central Boiler E Classic 1400 ( I kind of have to due to state regs).  I live in NH.  This is my second year heating with it.  I used to burn #2 fuel oil.  The price of oil was costing me an arm and a leg and I'm limited to how many of my body parts I can give away to pay for heat (over $5,000.00/year for fuel oil).  I'm heating an 1840's farmhouse approx. 3000 sq ft plus domestic hot water (DHW).  This years winter is more indicative of past winters (last year was very mild) and so far I've burned approx. five and half cord, all hardwood.  I kept the house at 70 degrees 24/7.  A nice comfortable level for me.  Due to the lack of a wood lot, I have to purchase my firewood.  I get it log length at $100.00/cord, buck it up at 24 inches long, split it to 6 to 8 inches diameter and stack to dry.  The one thing I wish I had done is do this a long time ago.  It is nice to get out of bed in the morning or arrive home from work in the evening to a nice warm house and NOT hearing the oil furnace running.  If you decide to go with an OWB, be sure to follow the manufacturers operating instructions to get the most out of it.  Good luck in your hunt.  Roger   
Roger

Thank You Sponsors!