iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pretty sticks

Started by GATreeGrower, March 28, 2013, 11:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

Just finished PCT on 7 acres of seeded loblolly.  What a fun job.  Thinned it down to about 450 sticks/acre.  No oaks or sweetgum or bamboo vines in there either :)   

VT_Forestry

Looks good!  We just finished up for the year, naturally seeded so thick that you couldn't even walk through it.  But we have big loud diesel toys to take care of that  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

There is nothing like walking through and selecting the very best and healthiest as leave trees.  Looks good.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Did you do the PCT with a chainsaw?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VT_Forestry

I just couldn't let a PCT thread go by without posting at least a few pictures  :D

What we started with after the mulcher ran through

What we ended up with after some quality time with the Stihl FS450s

GATreeGrower

Looks good VT!  I used a Husq 336 clearing saw for the pines and little oaks and a chainsaw on the big oaks

GATreeGrower

After marking the 22 yr old trees in January for a second thin and thinning the little guys myself, every tree left on that lot was picked by me.  I guess time will tell if I did any good or not. :D

beenthere

Quote from: VT_Forestry on March 29, 2013, 09:05:49 AM
I just couldn't let a PCT thread go by without posting at least a few pictures  :D

What we started with after the mulcher ran through

What we ended up with after some quality time with the Stihl FS450s

Stumps shown don't look to be cut, but look more like a brush hog beating them up.  What was used besides the FS450?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1270d

He said it was done with a mulcher then clearing saw

JohnG28

Looks like the thinning was done in the stands to either side of the trail down the middle. The top picture shows thicker stands.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

VT_Forestry

Quote from: beenthere on March 29, 2013, 11:51:18 AM
Stumps shown don't look to be cut, but look more like a brush hog beating them up.  What was used besides the FS450?

We are fortunate to have one of these in our arsenal :)

Peter Drouin

I guess you guys know what your doing ,But for me I would not want all the pungie sticks all over my woods, If you fall down your done :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

That clears it up for me... 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VT_Forestry

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 29, 2013, 12:32:05 PM
I guess you guys know what your doing ,But for me I would not want all the pungie sticks all over my woods, If you fall down your done :D :D :D

It looks a lot worse than it is.  Most of the time the operator is able to keep the head down low enough to prevent it...where it does happen we will trim them with the brushcutters.  But the pine rots quick, in a year they're pretty well gone :) 

GATreeGrower

In my case, I started cutting em high so I could see them after catching my foot on a few low ones.  I don't plan on going back in there anytime soon :)

mesquite buckeye

Best way to take out thinners is to cut 18" high. That way the undergrowth can hide them so you can detect them with your shins. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!