iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky and XP

Started by Woodhog, April 15, 2004, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

In a recent discussion with a Husky dealer we were comparing the 359 with the 357 XP...

He mentioned that the XP after the saw number is just an
advertising gimmick from Husky to sell more saws.

He said the internal working parts of the saws crank, piston etc are the same in the two saws. In other words the XP
is no more heavy duty than a regular number saw and will
not last any longer under the same useage...

Is he correct????

Thanks

SasquatchMan

I think yer dealer is gonna get an earful from this crowd :D :D :D
Senior Member?  That's funny.

oldsaw-addict

I would think that the XP series saws have different porting on them for higher performance. the XP designation stands for soemthing like Xtra Performance, or Xtra porting.  Its a difference in the saws HP torque, top RPM, and the peak HP is found in the upper RPMs instead of the lower revs like the non XP saws have. I've only used a Jonsered 670 Champ that is basicallly a 266XP in disguise so I have no idea how a non XP saw would perform.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

SasquatchMan

Pretty sure the xp saws have totally different pistons... but one of the saw guys like Dozer can quite possibly tell you more than me. ;)
Senior Member?  That's funny.

jnsn

Why would a Husky dealer be so ignorant as to talk down the better saw?I guess this is what happens when you let any idiot sell your stuff.Was he trying to sell you the 359?Just look at the specs and you will see the difference, much less make some chips with them.I just had this talk with Dan and I hope that I am paraphrasing correctly - the 353 and the 359 ,plus their red brethren, the  Jonsered 2152 and 2159,are newer designs but are not the cutting edge like the 346xp, 257xp and 372xp(2171). The former group has a different jug,etc. By way of explanation even a modified 2152  will not beat a  modified 346xp,even under the capable hands of a saw builder and even though it starts out with more cubes.

I have a 254xp that I got from a tree work friend. His guys most likely kicked the sheet out of eet for many years. It cuts the pants off a new 350 another buddy of mine has.We are talking hundreds of hours difference and it is still stronger.

besides chainsaws,The only topic people know less and talk more about is guns.

qatanlison

The 346XP and 357XP or every XP model for that matter - should not be compared to the non xp models. Both are pro saws in the sense they're made to withstand the use (and abuse) of the professional logger - but the XP's are higher reving, more agressive engine character and so on. The non XP's are for those who wants a wider powerband.

Q

Thank You Sponsors!