iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Summer or Winter?

Started by Peck, April 15, 2004, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peck

I plan to have my logging project done this summer. I would prefer to have it done next winter. Winter cuttings result in better habitat regrowth i'm told. The problem is that I don't want the heavy equipment to tear up the ground any more that necessary. Last winter I had was lots of moisture and no frost in the ground. Is that common for Saginaw county Mi? If I do the project  this summer when it's bone dry the damage would be minimized. What are the odds of having frozen ground next winter? Don't want to loose another year.  Thanks

Kevin

If you can break a trail in the snow early in January on your main trails and run on them a few times prior to skidding the frost will get into the ground.

tawilson

This last winter had more frost than usual around here, frigid temps and little snow, and I spent the winter playing in my woodlot and there were areas that never got a frost.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Jeff

Peck, maybe explore some low impact options for harvest. Horse logging for example. Willsie Lumber is down near Freeland and I believe they contract with a horselogger.  Denny Willsie is a heck of a good guy.

http://www.timberbuyer.net/members/willsie/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Or get yourself a lunar module --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/74882584/126952134QRkGok
 :D

AtLast

I agree with Kevin.....plan ahead!!!!......that luner thingy is pretty wild...saw it on TLC.....hate to step in a hole with it though :o

Ron Scott

Several factors such as soil type, terrain, access, tree species, economics, etc. will influence when you log as well as your specific management objectives.

Get a copy of your County Soil Survey and/or contact your local Conservation District Forester for some specific advice the times of year that may be best to complete a timber harvest on your property. Also consider the method of harvest you will allow, short wood, tree length etc.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!