iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bells machining 3000 processor what ya think?

Started by logman81, March 26, 2013, 07:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

As you may or my not know I am thinking about getting back into the firewood business again. I'm looking into getting a firewood processor this time instead of a splitter to increase production and sales. I have been looking on the net at many and I have narrowed my choices down. One is bells machinings model 3000, I like many of the features such as the single joy stick control and the auto feed stop which produces consistent block lengths very important to my customers! Seems to be pretty fast, rugged and well built machine.
Precision Firewood & Logging

beenthere

This one I presume.
Looks like a good rig. Any part of that sequence automatic? By the looks of the operator, would be hard to keep warm just sitting there in the cold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoxN29tVMqM
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

Yes that is the one, most processors don't have a closed cab. Just dress warm most winters aren't that cold here.

r.man

Nice looking machine but I would have been more impressed if I had been able to see it handle the last few blocks on either of the logs. That is a weak point on most machines but not all.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

stumper

I like what I see but, I did not see if the wedge height was adjustable.  One issue I did not like is that I am right handed so if I have only one stick I want use my right hand to control it.

What is the price?

logman81

Good points guys, yes the wedge is hydraulic adjustable. They should make it so you can control it with your left or right hand maybe they would switch it around if you asked? Another machine I like is the cord king 20-30, about in the same class as the bell 3000.

Logging logginglogging

logman81

leonz

Have you looked at the Rainier Products Chomper Model 14 or the Super 16 firewood processors and thier conveyors? No log deck needed and a six second cycle time with 12 inch wood splits.

thecfarm

I saw one of them is use in Maine. This was someone using it to make money with.Quite the unit. Once the stem gets into the in feed rollers,he unhooked the chain and hooked up another and got it all ready to go. As leonz stated no wood deck and no need to have another piece of equipment. Just back it up to the pile and start winching. I guess you would need to move it,if there was a long pile of wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Yes I have but they don't have the conveyor attached to the machine. I'm looking for a processor that is a all in one machine if you know what I mean. But they are neat, no need to do any sharpening.

logman81

What do you think about the cord king 20 30 a better machine or equal?

r.man

One of the big advantages of the chomper is that it is automatic once the log has been started. It should be possible to add the right type of deck, with a sensored infeed conveyor and have the operation be run with only a loader man.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

logman81

Yes I noticed that, one could adapt it but I'm not really looking to have to make modifications to a new machine. I'm not real keen on how it splinters the blocks of wood when shearing.

beenthere

The chomper is like a guillotine knife blade pushing across the grain of the wood, and it crushes as much as it cuts through the fibers. The end result is a lot of splintering which I wouldn't be too keen on either.
And not sure what the upper diameter log limit is with hardwoods.
Smaller than with softwoods which is mostly what is demonstrated in the West.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

That's what I thought seems thier would be a lot of waste.

thecfarm

There was a write up in Timberline about the chomper. One thing they like was how the fibers were crushed and the wood dried faster. I don't recall seeing alot of splintering going on. But it could of been the type of wood he was using.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

The chomper is not recommended for dead wood, according to someone I spoke to from the company

GAB

The February 2013 issue of the Sawmill & Woodlot magazine had a review of the machines that partook in the firewood shoot out last Oct at the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio.  Maybe that review would help you.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

leonz

Quote from: beenthere on March 30, 2013, 07:08:57 PM
The chomper is like a guillotine knife blade pushing across the grain of the wood, and it crushes as much as it cuts through the fibers. The end result is a lot of splintering which I wouldn't be too keen on either.

And not sure what the upper diameter log limit is with hardwoods.
Smaller than with softwoods which is mostly what is demonstrated in the West.

The simplex 14 can shear 14 inch diameter hard and soft woods and the super 16 can shear and split 16 inch diameter softwoods and hardwoods.

If you have band saw mill in  your stable you can make a 14 by 14 or 16 by 16 log beam and then winch it into the shearing head one supposes and then pull the slabwood in later to process it if you have imperfect logs you want to turn into
firewood and make more use of the band saw mill.

The trash screen is still built into the floor of all the chomper models so trash and dirt is not an issue with them as the small crap falls through the grates as the splits pass over the grates so there is no handling of the trash unless you want to have small kindling.

As far as the machine goes a 6 second cycle time with 12 inch length splits being split 0-2-4-8 ways is nothing to sneeze at.

The fact that you do not need an infeed table or log loader for the chomper saves you a lot of money and labor.

the splintering gets dumped through the trash grate in the floor of the chomper.

As far as DEAD LOGS GO,  ROTTED LOGS that are growing mushrooms are not logs one would want to run through a processor of any kind anyway because the wood is not solid and it is rotted from the inside out.

leonz

Quote from: rooster 58 on March 31, 2013, 03:04:51 PM
    The chomper is not recommended for dead wood, according to someone I spoke to from the company

AND DID Warren Aikin tell you this?????????????????????????????????????????????
======================================================
Any fresh cut log is dying from being cut; and any log that is growing mushrooms is not one to deal with anyway.

logman81

Gab I have the issue, I have looked at it more than once comparing machines. The choppers have there place and I do like the concept. I don't like the fact that they don't have a intagrated attached out put conveyor if they did I would consider them.

leonz

====================================================

It takes a lot of work to design and build a conveyor for use in mining or any other  purpose.

A foldable conveyor also has issues because it will be hinged, smaller in length, have thinner steel to save weight and less useable width and very dependent on a solid work surface/hard ground for a live deck and the outfeed conveyor

A Chomper or Timberwolf conveyor is both wider longer and not dependent on ground conditions or having and keeping a herd of hardwood blocks to act as bases for the legs of the live deck and the conveyor if needed.

You want mobility, but you have to have dependability in an off loading conveyor where a stacking conveyor gives you a road ready frame and soft ground stability due to its design if you have mud or uneven ground to deal with.

A lot of the Chomper owners simply dump their wood on the ground anyway making long piles with it as they process the logs and move it up as needed or use a conveyor to feed the truck later since it makes cordwood so fast.

You can always wait to see if a used simplex 14 comes up for sale and buy a the smaller chomper conveyor new and operate it off the simplex hydraulic system which eliminates the need for the gas engine version(if desired). The conveyors are road transportable and they can be lowered to create a lower center of gravity for transport as well so thats not an issue.

logman81

I built my own splitter a few years ago it wasn't that hard to build. Very similar to in design to an American brand. Worked very well and was built very rugged and was all hydraulic operated. Any way you do have a point, I'm just really looking for a different type of machine. I may not even buy one this year may build one of my projects instead.

deastman

Was going thru some old posts and saw this. I bought a 2012 Bells 4000 with 170 hours on it. I think the new 3000 is the same as my 4000, looks that way by looking at the Bells website. I've been very happy with it so far. I'm also right handed but running the joystick with my left hand has not been a problem at all and it's VERY comfortable to run. We've made a couple of small modifications by adding some extra steel square tubing on the back of the infeed trough to help protect the engine hood a little more. The Cat engine is awesome on fuel too. This is my first firewood processor so I don't have any experience with other brands but I did a lot of research this past year and decided to go with a Bells.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Thank You Sponsors!