iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Japanese ink line

Started by S.Hyland, March 26, 2013, 12:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.Hyland

Hi All,
  I'm in the planning stages of a project which will be framed using all Japanese joinery. I want to use the opportunity to be as authentic as possible with technique. I finally found a couple sources for ink lines (Hida tools and Japan Woodworker). They both have the traditional and modern versions. I badly want the traditional for obvious reasons, but am wondering if anyone has used both and has any recommendations.
I've also wanted to get a couple of higher quality Japanese pull saws. I've used the cheaper RazorSaw type but I would really like something that doesn't require me to throw blades away. I guess I still want something that is a bit forgiving, since I wouldn't say I'm an expert. I don't want to buy a couple nice saws and accidently ruin them ::) Any advice would be great, thanks! 

"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Sean,

I was waiting for some others to way in on this?  Make your own, I miss mine that got stolen.  I also have some contacts in Japan that can get you tools.  Will talk soon.

peace brother,
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

submarinesailor

When I was working a TF Guild project, one of the Holden brothers recommended that I get rid of the old wide cotton line I had in my caulk line and replace it with some braided fishing line.  I did just that and love the MUCH smaller line that it leaves when you pop it.  Can't remember exactly which one of their products it was.  I just remember that I got it at WalMart and it has a 50 pound rating.

I'm now working on getting all my different colored caulk lines changed over to it.

Bruce

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi SubM.,

That was great advice, that is what is use in Japan, but made of very fine line, about 0.5 mm to 0.7 mm but with ink.  Chalk lines are about 1 mm to 1.5 mm in Japan, just a little thicker, and only use for masonry work, but even then ink is often used just as much. 

The simplest ones I make are just a hollow out area for my silk wading and ink reservoir, here are some original examples and a modern one we have them all over the shop.

and another spot for the roller to quickly wind the line onto.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

S.Hyland

That's a great idea, Jay! I think I will make one. I didn't really want to spend $100 on one anyhow.... Do you know of a source for the silk wadding and line as well as ink?
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Thank You Sponsors!