iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eagles!

Started by ND rancher, March 24, 2013, 06:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ND rancher

Thought I might share this here. Last fall a couple of bald eagles took up residence above my cows, not in the tall cottonwoods,but in the shorter box elder and ash.Now I have 4 white heads and 2 golden in residence.Makes me nervous as now there lots of newborns running around. I'm not sure but I think some more moved in today. It was flurrying all day and couldn't tell if there were extras. I enjoy watching them, just nervous.   Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

drobertson

Magnificent birds! there is a nest a few miles from the house,  the range this way giving us a view from time to time,  are the goldens just immature Baldies?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

We are getting to have quite a few in The U.P. as well again. Probably not a safe place for Fi Fi any more. :D

I have some pictures at Lou's, just across the road from my property. The camera was set out on Coyote bait this last month.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I've seen more in the last fews years around here then I ever have. I have not found a nest.
Nice pictures Jeff. Really like that last one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

They pass through our area in the mountains from early winter until April during their migration. I had three separate eagles feeding on a road kill deer I carted up to the cabin in early February. We are seeing more each year, which I love, but haven't located any nests.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

Do Eagles migrate? I see them all winter in N. Michigan.

I like the last photo too. Looks like a good one for framing.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

They sure do, in our area. Along with them are the hawks, falcons, harriers and kestrels.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

Nice pics Jeff!  thanks for sharing
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ND rancher

Nice photos Jeff! I've never been able to get photos.When ever I take the camera nothing, when I don't have it they sit and look at me. Tried one year to get there mating acrobatics, same story                     dobertson, I'm sure they are golden's as they are taller and when they come in to a deer carcass out in the field the bald's move away and just the 2 golden's stay to eat then the bald's come back when they leave. The crows also pick on them here also,except the one in photo's are ravens I assume.

VT_Forestry

We have several that live around the house (I've counted 7 at one time).  They typically sit up in the tall loblolly pines in the yard and drop their fish bones for me to hit with the mower.  They like to circle overhead while I'm out in the river fishing in my kayak - I'll fish for 2 hours and catch some throw backs, they'll show up for a few minutes and pull several citations out  :D They are also incredibly vocal in the morning.

If you've ever watched eagles, you'll see they diving and wrestling with each other in mid-air, sometimes turning completely over while flying.  Apparently, it's not uncommon for them to sometimes get tangled up and tumble down to the ground.  These two were attached for several hours before they turned each other loose...pictures are grainy since I had to zoom so far in - they started flopping around whenever we would get too close, and we didn't want them to hurt themselves.  You never realize the size of these birds until you see them in reference to something on the ground.

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Chuck White

We get to see quite a few of the Bald Eagles in this area!

We see them mostly in the winter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

snowstorm

5 yrs ago while coming across the lake on my snowmobile i saw an eagle standing on one foot. so i rode around him about 50' away. he hopped on one foot turning to watch me. from his tracks he had been doing this for some time. so i called the game warden. his answer was it had a fish and was guarding it. i told him i knew what a fish looks like and he didnt have one. so when the warden gets there we walk up to within 5' of it. no fish see i told ya. he calls the guy that takes care of such things. by now its dark so one shines his flashlite at the eagle while the other gets him with a fishing net. my boy and i were in the truck watching . he brought the eagle over for us to see. he had the eagle under his arm without his gloves on. they thought maybe he had lead poisoning

ND rancher

I thing my birds have moved on. On Fri. I saw 1 bald setting with the cows, but the last few days a small group of turkeys have been around.They must feel safe now. Last time I saw turkeys was in Dec. when the birds came!

DDDfarmer

This past tuesday the crows and ravens were acting nervous like, then we noticed why the two bald eagles were back. Seems a little early there is still 3-4' of snow out there. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!