iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

garrett maintance

Started by james, March 24, 2013, 05:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

looking at a small garrett skidder next week, dont know model no yet 4 cyl gas cablerig what to look for /problems on these type of machine will be using to maintain 20 steep acres of softwood
thanx james

thenorthman

planetaries, transfer case, winch, all the hard to find parts for stuff... then the usual   tight pins, good rubber no cracks in the frame...

Garrett is still sorta manned, one of the boys took over and is slowly selling and rearranging parts and what not, so you can get SOME parts but not everything.

If it has the ford v-4, you can still get them rebuilt and parts are not impossible to find, but good luck finding a replacement engine.

Good luck to ya.  let us know if its a 10 or a 15 (did see a 16 once...) from what I gather the 21's and up where mostly diesel
well that didn't work

lumberjack48

I bought a new C4, Garrett, Can-Car back in 68, with the four cylinder Ford gas motor.
On steep ground you'll find it under powered, and basically dangerous to operate. It will work with a experienced operator or be very careful learning. This is just my two cents from owning and operating one on steep ground.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

james

it has the in-line 4 was wondering how it was to fix if it was one of those that used parts from cars/trucks instead of proprietary parts (engine , transmission ,clutch...)
james

thecfarm

Can you take pictures of it? I like to see that old stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

james

next week its about 60 miles and one mountain pass away
james

John Woodworth

Both the 10 and 15 use the same motor, Ford 172 Industral, this is not the same motor in the farm tractor line, it is a non sleeved motor and parts are no problem, the only thing to watch out for is on a rebuild don't go over .30 oversize or they will overheat, can be sleeved back to standard by a machine shop.

I've had my 10 for 33 years now and it's wonderful in it's enviornment, way more stable than the 15 which I have had and personaly wouldn't have another however it's still a very good machine. The 21 is my favorite holds the ground like a magnet and depending on calsium amount in tires will pull with a JD540 all week on what the JD's and Cat's burn in a day. The Garretts are cheap to work on as 90% of the parts are avaible from the parts store and the winch parts are not hard to locate.

You  are probably looking at a mdl. 8 or 9 Gearmatic winch and they are less trou
troubelsom than the 19 and will hold anything the machine will pull.

I've run just about every skidder made as well as worked on them and my choice is Garrett all the way.

Good Luck.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mad murdock

I will second what JohnW said. I have had my Garrett 15A for 7 years almost, I did a top end repair on the ford 172 diesel last year, and am real pleased with it. I have never run a 10, tho they look like a nice machine in a tidy package.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

I see adds where guys are calling their older TF's, Franklin's. Franklin didn't build a Tf until 1991

The 68 TF i had, had the model 9 Gearmatic, 172 Ford industrial gas, 8 bolt planetary, 16.9-30 tires and then went under all 3 names. Do you have a Garrett ? Can-Car ? or is it a Tree Farmer ? :D
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

Quote from: lumberjack48 on March 30, 2013, 05:06:22 PM
I see adds where guys are calling their older TF's, Franklin's. Franklin didn't build a Tf until 1991

The 68 TF i had, had the model 9 Gearmatic, 172 Ford industrial gas, 8 bolt planetary, 16.9-30 tires and then went under all 3 names. Do you have a Garrett ? Can-Car ? or is it a Tree Farmer ? :D
Mine is a Garrett Tree Farmer. Garrett trade marked the name and logo and sold the Tree Farmer line to CanCar I believe it was late 1964, according to what old Don Garret had 'splained to me. He also told me my machine was a early 1964 model and was sold as a diesel skidder to Portland Road Co. They were the outfit that bought it new.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Woodworth

another bit of info, the 10's with exception to the one with the 4cyl. Wisconson do not have planetaries and run 28" rims, if it has planetaries it,s a 15.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!