iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaska intinerary

Started by Qweaver, March 24, 2013, 03:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We are thinking of taking our vehicle by ferry to some place in Alaska and then visiting as many places that we should and then driving back to the US via Canada.  But we have no idea how to plan an itinerary of where and how to go.  Any suggestions?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

clww

If you're a member, I'd go by the AAA office and get some of their brochures. These have proven most useful to us on several past road trips.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Here is a thread about some Alaskan trip plans.  LINK
Hopefully, someday we can go back.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fuzzybear

There are ferry services from Seattle to all points north.  just google and go from there.  Alaska is a vast state with many different life styles from the sea to the mountains. By going on the ferry you get to see alot of the coastal area of BC and Alaska. From there Most people travel to Denali, wich is a must see in my book.
If your traveling north to  Fairbanks you have the option of heading across  to Whitehorse Yukon, or heading across the Taylor/Top of the world high way to Dawson city. Coming to Dawson is truely a once in a lifetime trip for most. The highway not the greatest, more like a goat path that was over run by RV's, but it is some of the best views in the north.
  If any one is heading north, I can help you with things to see and do along the way. I have traveled all across North America and have seen a lot.  If you have an idea of your route let me know along with what your interested in, and I'll do my best to help you.
Donovan
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

pappy19

I would take the ferry from Prince Rupert to Haynes, drive to Anchorage and then take the ferry back to Seattle. You would see most all of AK except for the tundra and the Brooks Range.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

But you would miss B. C., Yukon, and N.W. territories.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

My father has traveled to Holland, Switzerland, UK, France, Italy, Germany and Israel.  He has also traveled most of the continental US.  He took a trip to Alaska a few years ago, and told me that of all the places he traveled, Alaska was the best. 

No matter how you go, enjoy your trip! 
Say when

Warbird

This is a great place to start:  http://milepost.com/

Let me know if you have specific questions.  I've traveled the Alcan a couple of times but have never ridden the ferry system.  I understand you get some absolutely beautiful scenery ferrying through the Inside Passage.

Jasperfield

Find someone with a Super Cub and take some flying lessons while you're up there. You'll never be the same again.

m wood

My folks have done the inner passage cruises, travelled "into" by train, driven the Al-Can north and south in their Bounder.  They've been north of the arctic in full luxury, toured the ANWR on their own timeframe and watched Elk (i think they said) birth right under the pipeline, so much for man and nature not co-existing.  They ferried up and drove back too.  They have never ventured very far off the Al-Can when in North and South travel mode, I guess getting off Al-Can is not recommended. (rough enough in the best of condition).  I sadly have never been :'(, but it tops my list of musts. ENJOY!  you're gonna love it
Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Magicman

Quote from: m wood on March 25, 2013, 07:18:59 PMand watched Elk (i think they said) birth right under the pipeline 
That probably should be Caribou. 

Qweaver

OK!  We booked the ferry today for a passage from Billington to Homer.  We can only get a ferry leaving Aug 3rd as earliery ones are already booked up.  All of the good cabins are gone too.  Now on to planning the rest of our travels after Homer.  This is going to be fun!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

clww

That should be a nice time of year. We took a honeymoon cruise on the Inside Passage in 2008 during the last week of August to the first week in September.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Google map didn't locate Billington. ??

Near to ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Qweaver

Yeh, it's Billingham, wa. not Billington.

I booked the passage for Aug. 3  arriving in Homer Aug. 9.  It turns out we have a friend with a granddaughter that Lives in Homer so she may be a good source of info about how we should plan our trip.  All of the good cabins with facilities are already booked up but there are public showers.  The ferry is not cheap but it will be fun.  The cost for taking our Explorer is $ 1800  with the total cost at $3200.

Let the planning begin!  We are excited.

Warbird

You should be.  That trip is going to be awesome.  If you have good tires and full spare, you might want to consider traveling the Denali Highway.  If you contact Asy, she can tell you more about it.

How long will you be in Alaska?  Feel free to drop me a message with any specific questions.

Qweaver

We are leaving WV the 1st week of July and we will meander across the country stopping as it suits us and after the boat trip to Homer we will just spend as much time as we want in Alaska.  We have friends in Washington State and BC, Canada that we will spend a few days with.  We are wondering what clothing we should bring in case of unusually cold weather.  I guess I will just bring our hunting gear...just in case! 

Should I carry extra fuel?  I am building a tralier hitch carrier so that we will have room to sleep in the back on those nights that a hotel is not handy.  We are also planning to spend a week or so in the wilderness of Montana and I don't fancy sleeping in a tent in bear country.

Itinerary suggestions are sought!

fuzzybear

At least 1 gas can, 2 full size spare tires, and a small amount of emergency fire wood. Clothing I would suggest hoodies for sure, As well as rain gear, and gum boots.  Also about a case of bug spray. we have mosquito's the size of B-52s. ;D :D  LOTS of extra batteries for the camera, you will need them for sure.
  You are arriving when we start loosing sun light, but you will still have about 19hrs of light, so if you have problems sleeping in light you may need a sleeping mask.
Donovan
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Warbird

Yup, what fuzzybear said.  You can also just tape tinfoil to your camper's windows to make it dark inside.  It looks kind of ghetto but it works.

Axe Handle Hound

August 9 should put you in AK right at a good time for the silver salmon run.  You could try fishing in the Kasilof River, the Kenai River, or catch a charter out of Seward for salt water silvers.   If you're heading north you should be able to pick some up in the Susitna as well.  Stop in at the Visitor's Center in Soldotna to see the mount of the current world record Chinook caught by Les Andersen and if you're brave, or foolish enough, you could stop at Cooper Landing and see if there are any bears fishing on the Kenai River.  From there I'd either head to Seward which has a couple of different places to camp.  Climb the trail up Mount Marathon (not the race route, that thing is wicked) and check out the valley at the top. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Exit Glacier National Park is also worth a visit.  Leaving Seward and heading to Anchorage make sure you check out Portage glacier.  It's a right hand turn where the Seward Highway makes the eastern-most part of its loop around Turnagain Arm and there are also campgrounds there if you want to stay within short driving distance of Anchorage for any reason.  If you're going to head up to Denail make sure to swing through Hatcher Pass on the way.   I found the area around Cantwell to be incredibly scenic as well.  Never did make it to Fairbanks or further north, but it's on my list. 

Magicman

Try not to consider Alaska as a destination, but as part of the trip.  There is over 4000 miles of stuff to see along the way such as Banff, Jasper, and Lake Louise.

beenthere

MM
Qweaver is getting on a Ferry in Bellingham, WA and going to float around Canada, as I see it.
Won't have to leave his guns at home.  8)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

As I understand it ; he will float North and drive South.

On your way through northern BC you ought to check out the Laird Hotsprings - a nice relaxation along the way.

Thank You Sponsors!