iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring is coming

Started by Stephen Alford, March 24, 2013, 09:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

Been working in this area during the winter for some time. There are two ways to access the woodlot ,down clay road , which you cannot use after it snows. The snow weight bends the trees and there would be a lot of damage. Surprising the number of people who come to walk their dogs and ski . To tear it up would be just bad pr. So as long as there is snow going through the field is best.

The area has some of the best shale I have worked with and knowing that it is under you somewhere is encouraging.

The real key is to work the brick clay. It has to be backdrug to seal it so the water will run off as opposed to being worked in turning everything to soup. Mind you when you work alone it is an entirely different from the situation where you have to meet payrole and make payments. Don't get me wrong ,I have had some great folks work for me and I them, but at the end of the day accomplishment has to be redefined.
logon

Stephen Alford

Things started to soften up around the landing.

Water starting to run on the skid trail.

Great going in the woods however.

This was the woodyard last week.

Today things are improved.

Just dragging an ibeam behind the truck makes all the difference. 

logon

SwampDonkey

Yes, indeed drying up a lot there. As soon as we loose the snow here it dries up pretty quick with some warm wind and sun. I wouldn't be surprised if farmers are scratching ground around here in 3 weeks. We've had no real rain yet, just showers. Some rain forecast for the weekend, but time will tell if it's actually a rain. I walked in the hay field yesterday and it was soft underfoot but not mud soft. So won't be long. But still a bunch of drifted snow in the back yard, but melting pretty quick. Lots of snow drifted on the north of the house to, but since the sun is getting high, it's not dark until 9:00 pm here now. Can see light at 6:00 am. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ClarkF66

I really enjoy your pictures!
What do you do for regeneration where you log? Do you get enough natural that you don't have to replant. Is it more profitable to grow leaftrees than spruce?
We have to replant most of our land to get the best quality trees, and spruce or pine will almost always yield more than leaftrees.

SwampDonkey

Depends on the logging method, species, seed, density of the mature canopy, advanced regen and the stage of stand development. I've seen red spruce stands harvested and the ground would be solid spruce regen, so the trails would be dead zones as well as road side. But off the trails too thick to count.  ;D I've seen sugar maple stands harvested (80 % composition) and you get mostly aspen, sometimes a new forest of balsam fir/spruce is released, or back to maple again and on another site it will grow back to 80% yellow birch from seed. One mature yellow birch harvested in late fall will rain down a million seed like confetti at a wedding. :D A whole host of scenarios for one covertype. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ClarkF66

Thank you SwampDonkey! I understand you have way more natural regeneration to work with than what we get in most stands. It looks like you get way nicer hardwood, our has a tendency to rot before it reaches good size. We do have some nice white birtch and some ash, but that is about it, and they are more groupes of trees than stands. With good management and thinning they can turn out decent.

Stephen Alford

Hey ClarkF66, one thing that makes the approximate 16000 woodlots unique is they are privately owned.  This makes the landowner a key variable in the management of that land.  I would have to say white spruce is favored by most.  Woodlots provide firewood and the annual harvest depends on the needs of the family.  Most hard wood sites are left to come back naturally. Options are always discussed  but decisions at the end of the day are the landowners to make. 
   Thought I would add a couple  pics of an average twitch.

This stand was mature large tooth aspen and white spruce. Storm damage resulted in increased light to the under story and the fir has taken off.

The under story is cleared .

The red maple yellow birch felled.

The chain choker is put on with a half hitch so this one will roll over the stump.

Used the 12 sliders so to keep things cleaned up these extras are added using a d link.

Winched in and away.
   Would love to hear about forestry in your area and pics would be just great.   :)
logon

ClarkF66

Stephen; Thank you! Great explanation :) That's much the same ownership conditions we have over here. Some small woodlots and some larger but almost all privately owned, and the landowners manage their properties according to size and needs. I will try to make a tread with pictures before to long.
I see the under growth gives you a bit of extra work. Your hardwood looks like perfect firewood size.
Really enjoy your pictures, my wife wonders how pictures of trees can be so interesting :D

Stephen Alford

Mr. farmer showed up yesterday. We had an extensive dialog. He nodded , I waved. :D
logon

SwampDonkey

Yes, some farmers have been sewing grain here this week. It's another 75 degree day here. I'm going to plant some garden tomorrow to and put floating fabric over it for awhile. The 'hobby' farmers on the road here haven't done anything much, but it's time for sure. Dad would be sewing already. Dad was always on the ground long before these 'outsiders' would even move.

Stephen Alford

Well spring has come and gone,easy to tell with the lovely fall weather.

Had a bit of clean up at the landing. Pile the slash on the cable then drag to a wet hole.

Had a bit of house work.

Things were busy around the wood yard.

Things look good out the office window.

Steward legrouse (stew for short) showed up one day strolling along.

Alright summer bring it on,  :)

logon

thecfarm

Stew for short.  :D  '
Half hitch,I have not heard that since my Father passed away. Memories.
I've seen them two trees before in that field. Looks better all green.
New House? Looks like it because of the ground work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Right you are cfarm. That and lot size ,house size,homeowner desire and time of year all contribute. Most likely the tree was frozen in and once the ground thawed then saturated with spring runoff, add a high wind and there you are. On the plus side there was no real damage.  :)
logon

SwampDonkey

Fall weather? It's hotter tan Hades her in NB. Sweet rolling off me just sit'n.  :-\

Nice beach, that's where you should be today. ;D

Stephen Alford

Don't let a couple nice days fool ya, ol timers sayin this is gonna be the coldest winter in 30year, high winds,deep snow, possible power outages. I feel a chill in the air, got to go get a sweater. Oh, how many cords of firewood did you say you wanted? We deliver !!!   :D :D

logon

SwampDonkey

That just sounds like a typical winter. ;D I never complained of cold.  ;)

David-L

Stephen,
Whats the farmer growing in those field pics, Cover crops ,or hay?

David-l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Stephen Alford

Hey David, its grain,  local variety referred to as "stayoutofit" .  :D  Generally they do a 3 year rotation.
   That is a great  summer time  pic, made me thirsty.  This is a summer favorite of mine.  ;D

logon

Ken

Quote from: Stephen Alford on July 07, 2013, 10:21:10 AM
   Hey David, its grain,  local variety referred to as "stayoutofit" .  :D  Generally they do a 3 year rotation.
   That is a great  summer time  pic, made me thirsty.  This is a summer favorite of mine.  ;D

Stephen
Your picture happens to be one of my favorites.  Nice looking hunks of meat.  Keep them hot.  I am heading your way for the labor day weekend.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Stephen Alford

Can't believe summer has come and gone.  :-\

All the visitors have pretty much packed up and are leaving.

Things seem a bit more peacefull.

Don't miss the traffic.

My "hitormiss delimber"

"Dad blame grabity"

Some of the firewood put up for the landowner.

Saw this pretty little creature standing by the haul road last trip out the other Saturday, probably an "endangered species"  :D
logon

thecfarm

Yes summer did go by fast,but I find winter does too.
What's the creature in white? I don't see many like that besides my roads.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Well ol cfarm legend has it they have magic and are capable of casting a spell on ya.  Over time you will become "domesticated"    :o   " Jinx jinx double jinx, hex be gone, turn around spit"   :D
logon

thecfarm

Well I cause congratulations are needed for you.  ;D

David-L

Stephen,
If I get up your way on the BMW motorcycle, any tenting space available on your land. Thinking of a freeze out ride with a friend of mine soon.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

barbender

No wonder you are getting trees hung up and tangled :D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!