iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut logs

Started by xlogger, March 24, 2013, 06:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I've got a logger that I get my white oak logs from that has 4  8ft long black walnut logs around 16". I agree to cut them on half. I've never cut walnut and not sure what to do with my half. I was thinking about cutting into 2 1/16" with live edge and if someone wanted 1" board later that I could split them if they stayed flat or just trim off the edges if they wanted. Have any of you tried this or have a better idea? Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

t f flippo

There is a log broker up in Culpepper that might be interested,

If you saw 4/4 the customer will want 5/4.Or vice versa.Saw it out from 4/4 to 12/4.
Who is going to buy it? A funiture maker can use the big stuff for legs and smaller stuff
for the top and stiles and rails ect.

Fireplace mantels were going for $250 to $350.

I try not to saw for inventory.I would Anchorseal the ends and set the logs up off the ground.
Had a customer back in Dec. that I custom sawed a couple of walnut logs I had for over a year.
They sawed out great and the price I got was well worth the wait.I try to inventory speciality
logs instead of lumber.It seems to work better for me.

Don_Papenburg

Years ago I got several 6' to 10' walnut logs that a guy had laying in his feed lot .  They looked bad with punky rot on the outer edges . He had planned to just burn them . I took a chance because I needed some walnut .  Most of that wood turned out to be some of the best I ever had .  So save your half in log form ,but keep it out of the weather and off the ground with good air movement .  Cut what the customer or you may need later.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

xlogger

That's what I try to do with my cedar and white oak. Sounds like a plan for the walnut also.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

drobertson

ricky, sounds like you have it figured out,  save yours til you know what direction you are going.  Store off the ground,  I just recently sawed on that was bumping the size limit, 36" dia. it had been down for 6 years, just a lil doty on the outside but beautiful on the inside, cut great with no issues at all.  Swapping sawing for logs is nice when only a few logs are in the order,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

xlogger

I posted on another topic about sealing the ends of logs. I got white oak and now this walnuts logs but all have been cut for a week or longer. I was thinking about getting some anchorseal, they sell it across the road where I work. The only problem there is I go to work before they open and off to late. But one guy said if you don't put on right away it might be a waste of time.

VictorH

Go ahead and seal them.  A week is not going to make that much difference.

Ron Wenrich

We've sealed some export logs that have been laying around for much longer than a week.  I think a lot would depend on the time of year.  During the warmer weather, you have the blue stain problem in sapwood and pines.  That's not much of a problem at this time of year.  We don't seal sawlogs, but we don't leave them lay around for a long period of time.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!