iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

know any tricks for sawing big logs?

Started by randy r, March 23, 2013, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy r

Hey all.  I have a couple of big logs in my stack that are gonna be tough to handle.  Both are pushing 36" on the butt end.  I have an LT 40 and can't get that wide.  Are there any tricks to make it happen?

WDH

Yes, call Customsawyer (Jake)  :D  :D. 

I am sure that he will see this and chime in.  That man thrives on the big uns.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

Lots or 40 owners here, give them a bit to weigh-in,

best
DGDrls

Bibbyman

Try this at your own risk but you can gain a couple of inches by lowering the back supports and shoving the log over as far as posable and still alow head to pass.   Before turning, push log back befor raising back suppors.   

Once you can get a blade through,  turn just a little and find a place to take off some more. This is called barrel sawing. 

Here the barrel sawn cant is shoved over the back supports.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CalebL

Start by cutting some notches in it with a chainsaw so your blade guides will fit in your cut and then start working your way around it.  Take your time.  I cut a 42" black walnut that took me 4 hours to mill it but it ended up giving me about 800 bf. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Migal

:) My saw has a 36" throat  8) just saying  :snowball:
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

randy r

one more thing.  I'm sawing out a barn for myself.  I've been sawing full 2" thickness but think sawing on the 6's would work and I can get more boards.  I was wondering what most of you do for green wood.  Do you saw the scale, and if so, is it still OK when it dries?  By OK I mean how much does it shrink?

randy r

Thanks Bibbyman,  I had that idea about the barrel cuts but didn't know if I could make it happen.  Also, I don't know EXACTLY how big the log is, I just know it won't fit. I feel sure I can make this barrel deal work.  As for the notches, I was thinking I would just take off the butt slabs with a chain saw if I have to, to get it thru, but your method should work better.
Thanks a bunch from Tennessee,   
RR

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have sawn a 39" Poplar log. The log was 5 foot long. Before I EVEN attempted it, I talked to Magicman about it. I sawed the log. It took me a about 3 hours because I was really careful and went slow.
I didn't need the lumber. I guess it was one of those things where I just wanted to see if I could do it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Migal

:) I sawed a 39" but end to 36" 14+' Oak after reading forum post's This was for my self so guess it took around 6-8 hr's of my time made sure to quarter saw all after slabs just a few pic's so it did happen 8)

:snowball:
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

fishpimp

Nice lumber there.
What's the largest log of anyone here with a woodmizer lt40 ?
Got a fella wanting me to saw a monster red oak. Measures 48" at butt and goes 16' before the first knot.
Mayb a good chance to try splitting it with some black powder ???

SAnVA

I sawed a 48" white pine several yrs ago but...before I could even move the log ( cut it 8'6" long) with my little 135 Massey Ferguson tractor I had to split it, I got on top of it and ripped it from one end to the other with my chainsaw (65Husky 20" bar ) then rolled it over and did the same thing on the other side, then drove wedges in the cut to finish the split. Believe me it was way more trouble than it was worth and then trying to load it on the mill and turn it was nothing but a pain. I guess it was one of those things that you start doing and realize that your wasting your time but you just have to finish it. I got 9- 8ft. logs out of this white pine and I don't remember how much lumber, but if I had it to do over that butt log would probably layed there and rotted!! The tree was washed out by a flood and moved, roots, limbs and all down stream about a 1/4 mile in a creek that dries up in the summer time, it is amazing what mother nature can do!

Magicman

This 42" butt was certainly one of the largest that I have had on the sawmill.  Remember that no matter what you do, the blade will only raise to a height of 36" above the sawmill bed rails.

Red crayon marks show where the chainsawing will be done to remove the flairs.

Bibbyed down to sawmill size.

Lowering the side supports and moving the log as far as possible to clear the movable blade guide.

Whittling it down. 

The fact is that, sure you can saw larger logs, but WM states 36" maximum for a reason.

(the above pictures are of three different oversized logs)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

davch00

I have used a chainsaw to cut notches out of the log where it sits on the bunks to gain a few extra inches. All I have is an LT10 and I have used that trick and a few already mentioned to be able to mill a 32" log on a sawmill that's only suppose to be able to mill a 24" log.

ohwc

Thus the reason why I like my swing mill. You could always call someone with a swing blade mill.

;D

Chuck White

If the log is only 36", you shouldn't have any issues sawing it with an LT40, unless you're just concerned with the weight and turning the log!

Just make a couple of cuts and turn it, make a few more cuts and turn it again!

The largest diameter I've cut on my LT40 is 42" on the butt end!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

I run a LT70 so with the chain turner have a major advantage. That is after the first face I can then turn the log clockwise and have the smooth area I just cut, for the outside blade guide to run in. I am with Chuck in that with a log at 36" it shouldn't be to much of a problem unless it has some big knots.

This is a customers log that was a around 43" dia.

This is how I rip them in half with the chainsaw.

You can see the wedges I use to keep the saw from getting pinched.

Here is some of what I got to start on after a couple hours of chainsaw work.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

Bibbys pictures tell the tail,if it can be done thats how it happens. One small tip as Majic says sometimes the hight of your head will limit you.Say your head will go to 36" set it 35 1/2" so you can lift and gigback,a little breathing room. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Never knew of the "barrel" technique, but this is how I have done it as well.  Straight butt ends without knots that are 36" are very doable, ones with knots need to be smoothed off with the chain saw, the size limits are on the clamping as well as the height as well.   Just get ready for some wide boards! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

slider

I think this one was 52 on the big end .Like others have said ,there is some work and time in it.But now that i have a friend down south with a swing mill ,I'll just dangle a porkchop in front of him and hope he takes the bait.

al glenn

redbeard

You can also cut a path with the chainsaw to allow the idle side guide roller clear the log.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I always like to read and look at the pictures CustomSawyer post about sawing BIG LOGS. But DanG if it don't make the hair stand up on my neck.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I think the first decision is what are you trying to get out of the log? Quartersawn, you are probably better off quartering the log with a chainsaw and working the quarters. Safer and probably faster than trying to reduce it on the mill. You will also end up with wider boards from those quarters. If you are looking for wide flat sawn boards, like I am usually after in the really big white pine, then you need to whittle it down on the mill, although I have used a CSM to square up two sides of a big log before putting it on the WoodMizer.The biggest butt log that I tried, on a manual LT40 no less, was about 46" big end by 16'. I screwed a 2x4 to the top of it and used one of those little clamp on guides on a chainsaw to make a path for the outer guide roller.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

New nick name for Custom,  " HOG LOG MASTER"
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!