iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Todays flea market find

Started by purple otter, March 23, 2013, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple otter

Here is todays $6 flea market find!

A 24" D-8 ,a 22"atkins silver steel ,and an old butcher saw with split nuts. I jumped right into cleaning and sharpening the Atkins. Here is a before and a couple of afters.

It is 10 ppi nice and straight and still has a light etch. Fun stuff bringing old tools back to life,even more fun using them ;D
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

clww

Looks much better now. :) Gotta love those great finds. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

S.Hyland

Can't beat that, $2 apiece! I have an identical Atkins rip saw. It's a pretty tool.
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Dodgy Loner

Great find! And a great price, too! I'll gladly double your investment on the 24" D8 ;D

You did a really nice job fixing up the old Atkins. Have you already sharpened it? If so, what fleam and rake angles did you use?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

purple otter

Hey Dodgy, I did sharpen the Atkins while I was into it. It had a few short teeth so it needed a good jointing. I jointed it until the file just touched the short teeth ,then I took a little more off the heel and toe so that it is lightly breasted. By then I had to pretty much retooth it. It is filed to 12 degrees rake and 25 degrees fleam . I set the teeth before filing the fleam. I am still learning ,but it turned out well. Here is a picture of the saw filing vise I made out of some flooring scraps. The cutouts on the ends allow you to file with the handle on .

Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

samandothers

If you get the chance would you post a picture of the other tools you used.  Nice job on the clean up and work.

purple otter

Hey Sam, I use the sharpening technique that I read about on www.wkfinetools.com. They have lots of articles ,and good pictures of saw sharpening . i think one of the most important things is the vice. It is a tedious process so the more comfortable you can work ,the better. It should be at a good working height and proper lighting is a must ( and a pair of reading glasses for me  ;)). Different tooth sizes need different size triangle files . The back of the file package should tell you. One of the best tips I learned from wkfinetools is to use a guage block to keep the file at the correct angle . I will try to post some pictures of what I use when I have a chance. It does take some patience but once you use a saw that you sharpened yourself ,and feel how well it cuts you will want to share the process with your woodworking friends.

Dodgy Loner

My saw vise looks a lot like yours, but I need to make the cutouts on the ends so I can file saws with the handles on!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Axe Handle Hound

Nice job on the saw, but your bench and vise caught my eye the most.  Looks like a Roubo style bench with a old bowling alley top?  And what is that end vise you have?  I don't think I've seen one quite like that before.

purple otter

Hey  Axe, the bench is a Roubo style that I just built. It is a bowling alley that someone gave me about 5 years ago.I was tired of looking at it so I finally built the bench. I will start a new thread about it soon. the vise is a sheldon that I was bolted to an old bench that someone thew out.I was driving by at the right time. I have never seen one like this either. It works on a toothed draw bar instead of a screw. It cleaned up nice with a wire wheel ,and it works great. It tightens with just 1/4 turn and just slides in and out when the handle is verticle.

Axe Handle Hound

Looking forward to your bench thread.  I've been eyeing a particular stack of spruce 6X6's I have in the back yard and thinking about benches for a while now.  That is a cool vise and amazingly simple.  Looks like it's seen some good use over the years. 

clww

I was thinking of starting a thread, "Look what I got today". Free-stuff, cast-offs, stuff uncovered in the woods, dumpster diving, etc.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Papa1stuff

Dumpster diving ;D :( Wish I wasn't so DanG old  smiley_old_guy :( ;) I love to dumpster dive ,just getting a little harder to do  ;D but I keep trying,People throw away a lot of great stuff! 8) 8)
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

samandothers

Thank you for the link.  I'll do some reading!

purple otter

No saws this week,but I found a nice pair of starret calipers and 1/2" and 1 1/4" T.H. Witherby chisels.

Grand total... $8

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

purple otter

I did ok at the flea market today. $8 for four saws. One real nice Disston 28" thumbhole ripsaw ,pre '28. One Richardson Bros.#8 with about 2" broken off the toe. One 18" Disston #7 from about 1890. And one mystery saw with a copper and wood handle.

The best find was a saw sharpeners toolbox loaded with tools for $20. There is about 4o triangle files assorted sizes,still sharp. A dozen other assorted files,3 saw sets,a cool portable saw vise, 2 atkins raker guages and some misc stuff.

Dodgy Loner

Great finds, yet again. I want to go rust-hunting at your flea market. See you on Saturday? :D

That toolbox was a real steal. I love those pistol-grip saw sets. They are much more comfortable to use than the kind you normally see.  :)

purple otter

I had a chance to clean up the D-8,and it cleaned up really nice. The medallion dates it to 1888. I only had to buff the handle with steel wool and wipe it with 1 coat tung oil. The etch is strong ,and the plate is still very bright.

I still need to sharpen it ,which will have to wait until I have the time,because it is way out of joint and has some short teeth.

clww

I really like the design of that handle, especially the "heart". ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

purple otter

Well I finally had a chance to get back to the flea market today. I sure did miss the thrill of the hunt :D Today I found 2 saws and 2 chisels.

A 1" witherby and a nice 1 1/2" p.s.&w. The saws are a 26"atkins and an 18" disston back saw. This is the first back saw I have found, and it is definitely worth bringing back to life. It's nice and straight ,has a good etch and no pitting.The top horn needs repair ,but other than that ,a good cleaning and sharpening will put it back in service.

Thank You Sponsors!