iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found a bolt on pintle ring for LT40 WM

Started by yellowrosefarm, March 23, 2013, 05:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowrosefarm

I got real tired real quick of hooking an unhooking a 2" ball coupler on my LT40. I saw this bolt on pintle from Croft trailer supply that looked like it would fit and it does. What an improvement! 8)

Chuck White

Looks like it would simplify hook-ups quite a bit!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SAWMILL BUDDY

First thing I did to my mill was change to pintle hitch.

Dave Shepard

Looks good to me! I don't really like ball hitches too much.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Looks like a good thing to me,  I got use to the hitch, just a pain at times,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dan_Shade

I made a receiver tube one for mine.  I use a removable ring.  I need to snap a picture.

I much prefer a ring and pintle hook to a ball.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga Mtn Man

I've never used a pintle hook.  What are the advantages over a ball coupler?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dan_Shade

it's easier to hook up, and I believe that the attachment is more secure (not as likely to jump off the hitch).

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

A pintle is also very easy to visually verify the connection. I've hooked on to ball couplers before and thought they were down all the way, only to see that the little finger was resting on top of the ball, not under. ::) I always either stick my finger under there, or get a visual of that little finger. I had a better ball coupler from Hammerblow that had a hinged coupler with a sliding collar that work well. Also, pintles give you a little more leeway in tower to towee alignment.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

the main advantage is no more banging and bending the receiver,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dan_Shade

mine also makes a dandy seat while turning logs.

yellowrosefarm

Much easier to hook up, no way to jump off and more flexibility on uneven surfaces. I move my lt40 around the farm with my tractor and crossing ditches or washouts in the road would bind the ball coupler against the side, tweaking it in the process and making it that much harder to get hooked up the next time. With the pintle ring, the trailer can be almost at a 90 with the tow vehicle with no binding of the hitch.  Nothing more frustrating than getting to where you want to saw only to have to jump, beat and cuss the coupler to let go.

drobertson

ten four on the banging and jumping!  nothing more frustrating than a stuck hitch,  good idea, sounds like your problems with this is bout over, 

Larry

Things I have learned about trailers.

A 2" hitch will not fit on a 2 5/16" ball.

A 2 5/16 hitch will fit on a 2" ball and appear to lock. :o

Stout safety chains are good. :)

At 64, a backup camera that can see the hitch is not a luxury. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

That bolt on pintle ring appears to be a Croft exclusive.  At least I can not find anything like it anywhere else.  I was hoping that Tractor Supply would have it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hamish

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 23, 2013, 07:46:55 PM
I made a receiver tube one for mine.  I use a removable ring.  I need to snap a picture.

I much prefer a ring and pintle hook to a ball.

That is the most secure set up.  Prevents alot of thefts, but those that cant figure out whats missing.  Additionally the pintle or lunette eye is usually rotateable 360 degrees independantly, meaning you can roll your truck and the mill wont roll (had to lose the truck in this example).
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: Magicman on March 24, 2013, 04:54:52 PM
That bolt on pintle ring appears to be a Croft exclusive.  At least I can not find anything like it anywhere else.  I was hoping that Tractor Supply would have it.

Yes, As far as I know it is exclusive to Croft. I looked and looked for a small bolt on pintle ring before I found this one. They're an easy company to deal with, though, I had it 2 days after I ordered it.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GDinMaine

Thanks for the explanation on why the pintle hitches are better then the ball mount.  I understand the reasons you guys gave, but that brings up one question.  If the the pintle is so much better, why aren't more trailers come with that setup?   It appears that only very large capacity commercial trailers use it and I have never seen it on anything in the 4-5 ton capacity.
It can't be difficulty of hookup because you said it is in fact no the case.
Is it the price?
ps: yes I'm considering it as well just to avoid a possible jammed hitch.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Dan_Shade

GDinMaine

Dan,  Did you adapt one of these for your mill?  I assume you welded or bolted a receiver tube on the mill and have something like this for it?

Pictures - as you said - would be welcomed.

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

isawlogs

I have hydraulic brakes on my mill, activated by the ball hook-up, so I would not be able to put a pintle hook on. I tried to go that way when I bought my mill but it was not an option, now with electric brakes it would be an easy it. I might just pull the axle off my mill and go with electric brakes on it and get a ring hook-up for it. I need to go over the brake lines and brake linings and probably drums too... might be cheaper in the long run to just go electric.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

YellowHammer

Pintles hitches although very secure allow relative movement between the tow vehicle and the trailer.  They do the "bang and clang" as the tow vehicle accelerates and decelerates, or the trailer tongue bounces.  Somewhat annoying at stoplights, stop and go traffic, bumpy roads, etc.  Ball hitches fit securely, have very little slack and don't thump and bump.  Pintles are great for heavy equipment, farm implements, and large tow vehicles that are not affected by the backlash, not so much for smaller tow vehicles that react to the slack in the hitch.
Just my experiences with them, your mileage may vary
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rmack

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 24, 2013, 11:52:52 PM
Pintles hitches although very secure allow relative movement between the tow vehicle and the trailer.  They do the "bang and clang" as the tow vehicle accelerates and decelerates, or the trailer tongue bounces.  Somewhat annoying at stoplights, stop and go traffic, bumpy roads, etc.  Ball hitches fit securely, have very little slack and don't thump and bump.  Pintles are great for heavy equipment, farm implements, and large tow vehicles that are not affected by the backlash, not so much for smaller tow vehicles that react to the slack in the hitch.
YH

X2, only I wish mine would have come with a 2 5/16 like everything else I own.  ::)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

jcbrotz

Quote from: rmack on March 25, 2013, 12:33:51 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on March 24, 2013, 11:52:52 PM
YH

X2, only I wish mine would have come with a 2 5/16 like everything else I own.  ::)

When I bent mine I replace it with a 2 5/16 hammer lock, Never cared much for a pintle I always liked the goose but I cant finger out a way to put one on the mill. :o :D ::)
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Thank You Sponsors!