iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a small but new market.. to me

Started by cutter88, March 23, 2013, 11:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

was on a clearing job last week when a man walked up to the door of my excavator and said he was a chainsaw carver and was intrested in some basswood I had just cut down that was about 10 minutes from being fed in my chipper because the mills around here don't want it and its not real good for firewood... I said yep bring ur trailer ill load u up... I put 6 logs about 10 feet long on his little trailer he handed me 300 bucks cash and a piece of paper with his number and said when u have more call me!... was good to see it used instead of chipped
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mikeb1079

wow.  don't lose that number!  ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

g_man

Thats great when they come asking.
The chainsaw carvers around here all seem to want eastern white pine.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

has any one went on fle bay to see how much bass wood boards are a foot :o :o we get nothing for the logs

g_man

Way back in the day I had I good friend who was a real craftsman and an industrial model maker for a casting department. He made intricate and extremely accurate wooden models of castings from engineering design drawings. He almost always used bass wood for his models. 

loggah

I  cut a bunch of it,and sawed it out into 6"x6" and 8"x8" timbers and my cousin hauls it to N.J. and sells it for carving wood,duck decoys. sawmills dont like it because most debarkers turn the bark into rope ! ;D  Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

woodandtractors

At Ireland Lumber Co,we used to save aside what basswood we got in and saw it into 3x4 bunks. Some of the bigger ones got sawed into 3 or 4" planks for carvers to use.It debarked best when frozen really hard. We also got some special basswood teeth for the HMC rosserhead debarker that did work somewhat better than the standard teeth. Other than carving stock I can't think of a good use for basswood-even the bunks were weak!
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

PAFaller

The mill I cut for sells some to do it yourself woodsman types that make there own drying boards. Im not a trapper but I know you need a lot of different sized boards for stretching and drying hides and most often they use basswood.
It ain't easy...

loggah

We made a bunch of sap yokes out of some once worked good for that, nice and light and strong enough to haul two pails of sap. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!