iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This might be interesting

Started by lyle niemi, March 22, 2013, 07:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

We had installed an electric thottle on the 350 cummins. We also have the control panel that has the throttle switch, clutch air valve, ignition key and the tach for the mandrel  portable , I can either have it at the sawing platform or at the motor. It looks a little rough right now but it all works good.. 8)

dgdrls

Nice set-up Lyle,

Can you give a little more info on Cummins?

350HP 6 cylinder??

what series is it??

Stay warm

DGDrls

drobertson

Got to love hobbies!  got to love life!   looks like you are doing both!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

It seems Rube Goldberg is alive and well north of the boarder.Lyle you have no shortage of clever tricks.Its going to be tough when everything melts and you have to get back to work on the farm.Long winter I'am burning next years half dry wood. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: dgdrls on March 22, 2013, 08:52:03 PM
Nice set-up Lyle,

Can you give a little more info on Cummins?

350HP 6 cylinder??

what series is it??

Stay warm

DGDrls

Its a in line 6 banger, 350hp, 855 block, thats all I know right now..lol Its hard to stay warm when its so dang cold out :snowball:

SPD748

I don't know Lyle... 350 hp might not be enough to saw a big log. You may want to think about adding twin turbos... perhaps even propane injection  :D :D :D

I love the remote throttle and clutch arrangement!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

lyle niemi

Quote from: SPD748 on March 24, 2013, 10:13:14 AM
I don't know Lyle... 350 hp might not be enough to saw a big log. You may want to think about adding twin turbos... perhaps even propane injection  :D :D :D

I love the remote throttle and clutch arrangement!

-lee
I knew you would Lee, thats the main reason I posted it. The throttle control was only hundred bucks so why not eh??? lol

Ga Mtn Man

Hey lyle,

I'm pretty sure there must be three of you up there to get done all that you get done.   Your post make me tired just reading them.  :D

I used a similar LA on my mill for the throttle control and had trouble with the motor housing screws wanting to vibrate loose.  Thread lock is your friend. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 24, 2013, 10:50:22 AM
Hey lyle,

I'm pretty sure there must be three of you up there to get done all that you get done.   Your post make me tired just reading them.  :D

I used a similar LA on my mill for the throttle control and had trouble with the motor housing screws wanting to vibrate loose.  Thread lock is your friend. :)
Good to know, thanx! PS, yous lucky I cant type very good or eles I would have littered the pages with stuff..lol

Goodndusty

That really is interesting!  I'll have to get more info to see if I can use the idea on my mill.  You sure are mechanically inclined aren't you?  Good to see your posts and keep them coming!
Larry
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

lyle niemi

The cummins does saw different then the ol TD18, I have to have the cummins at 1900 rpm to maintain my saw speed when going through bigger logs, I tried the motor at 1600 rpm which made my saw speed at 700, it was good for smaller wood. I  would think a govenor would be needed in the near future then I think I could have the cummins running at 1600rpm....Any thoughts???

ALWOL

That looks like a really handy setup!
   Your engine does not have what you would think of as a standard flyball governor, nor did any of the N series engines. The best thing to do, wil be to aquire a fuel pump assembly for a generator or tractor power unit, as these will already have the proper settings for sawmill operation. Are there any old Versatile tractors up there? They used the NT855 also. New fuel pumps  are available also for around $250, and good used one much less. They are very easy to change, as they are not 'timed' to the engine. Just unbolt, and bolt back on.
   If you get the cpl number from the tag on the timing cover, I think I can tell you what your engine is.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on March 24, 2013, 05:55:03 PM
   That looks like a really handy setup!
   Your engine does not have what you would think of as a standard flyball governor, nor did any of the N series engines. The best thing to do, wil be to aquire a fuel pump assembly for a generator or tractor power unit, as these will already have the proper settings for sawmill operation. Are there any old Versatile tractors up there? They used the NT855 also. New fuel pumps  are available also for around $250, and good used one much less. They are very easy to change, as they are not 'timed' to the engine. Just unbolt, and bolt back on.
   If you get the cpl number from the tag on the timing cover, I think I can tell you what your engine is.

Alan
Hi Allan, just drove back up to the mill and found the cpl number and it is  0160
Thanx for the help

bandmiller2

Lyle,I know little of Cummins and what it has for a governor.Some limiting speed truck governors can be set lower then the throttle held agenst the governor.It will tend to keep the engine speed at what you set it down to. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ALWOL

Well, that engine is older than I am! According to that CPL (critical parts list) your engine was built in 1976 as a NTC350 PowerTorque 330D. If the fuel pump is original, its id number should be 292-B and it is set to provide 350hp @2100rpm. Also, it is a small cam engine.
   Frank, I don't know a lot about these Cummins either, seems they hardly ever brake down so I don't work on very many. They do not have a governor at all. They use a very unique Pressure-Time fuel system, where only the fuel supply pressure is raised and lowered to provide changes in engine speed. This eliminates the need for an expensive injection pump, or the complex rack system at the unit injectors. The tractor and power unit engines were fitted with a sort of governor in the supply pump, at least this is my understanding.

Alan

magicmikey

Sent you a PM Lyle, I have a VS pump on a shelf but will need to be sized for your engine.
mike

lyle niemi

Looks like there is a cummins dealer in Grande Prarie which is only one hour away from me. As soon as 8 am hits Im gonna be on the phone to see if they will have what I need in stock. Hopefully they dont want an arm and a leg for the pump, Sometimes us Canadians pay big money for some stuff up here where you fellas in the states get it for half of what we pay. Just aint fair...lol

lyle niemi

I phoned the cummins dealer 4 or 5 times today and each time they said they will phone me right back. Not once did they phone me back!! Im not to impressed with cummins Canada right now!!!!! EEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!

ALWOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-PT-FUEL-PUMP-cpl-010-NTA380-small-cam-For-290M-Clark-tractor-/121080375195?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item1c30f3e79b

Here is something like what you will need. If the Cummins dealer poops out, you may have to try the Versatile/Steiger (Agco) dealer.

Alan

lyle niemi

Just an update!

Turns out the pump I have on the cummins is a varible speed pump. It wasnt running very good the other day but thats because the old motor basicly come out of the scap pile..lol I had sawed most of the day yesterday and things seemed to clean up, Probably things were just gumed up a little. Im running the motor at about 1650/1700 and the saw speed is 700. I sawed some bigger logs and kept an eye on my mandrel tach and it held at 700and I could here the motor change in sound under load, things must be workin.

Oh ya, Its my kids birthday today and all three girls turn 14, yep, thats right , TRIPLETS! aint never a dull moment round here!!! LOL

beenthere

QuoteIts my kids birthday today and all three girls turn 14, yep, thats right , TRIPLETS! aint never a dull moment round here!!!

What fun!  A Happy Birthday to them, and prayers for you for the next few years for some "great times".

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lyle niemi

It was a good day today! A local trucking outfit came a bought 6000 bucks worth of planks today!! I cant complain 8)

loggah

LYLE!! better get your shotgun ready for the next four years !!! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lyle niemi

Quote from: loggah on March 30, 2013, 06:39:12 PM
LYLE!! better get your shotgun ready for the next four years !!! ;D Don
Can ya buy a triple barrel shot gun..lol

Thank You Sponsors!