iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD540B Operator Manual/Powershift Question?

Started by NH Forester, March 22, 2013, 12:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH Forester

Hi all.

After one Franklin 100XLNH, a TJ240A, TJ240D, and a TJ240E I am the proud owner of a new/used '82 JD540B. I have the Technical/Service book but wanted to do a little reading regarding the Powershift transmission. I have operated two different 648's over the years but it was a long time ago and as this machine has a fresh rebuild on the Powershift I wanted to follow the factory recommended practices. The tech manual has little on operation other than the tidbit on being sure not to leave the cold start disconnect disengaged after starting the engine.

I'm curious to find out what JD recommends for operation of:

• setting and releasing the service brake when winching or parked
  • starting with and without a load
  • upshifting and downshifting, again, with and without a hitch of wood

I appreciate any info. Right now there aren't any operator manuals on Ebay but I keep checking.

Thanks.
A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

CuddleBugFirewood

Which manual do you have?  I believe there is actually two tech manuals.  TM 1438 and TM 1439.  I have the TM 1438 I believe and I am pretty sure it does not discuss things like that, but I will look.  I would like to buy the TM1439 manual eventually. 

NH Forester

Norse Proverb

CuddleBugFirewood

Something I found on the john deere website.  I forgot that the manuals I referenced are for a 548d, but I will look at them tonight.  My machine is a '85 model I believe.  Do you have both tm 1139 manuals below?

The guy that sold me the skidder had rebuilt the powershift, and he stated that he had the john deere techs come out and pressure checked everything on the trans to make sure it was in spec.  Evidently the transmissions are really particular from what he said.  I am not a mechanic, so I am glad he did.  Knock on wood it has ran great the 5 years I have owned it, although I do not put a whole lot of hours a year on the machine.

https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com

Search Results    Results 1-4 of 4

OMT69591  ( OPERATORS MANUALS )   English

FORESTRY
    SKIDDERS

Model    Series    Serial    
540B    B SERIES    

Purchase:    
Price (USD):    $33.32
Format:    

PC1524  ( PARTS CATALOGS )   English

FORESTRY
    SKIDDERS

540B    B SERIES    

Purchase:    
Price (USD):    $189.62
Format:    

TM1139A  ( REPAIR MANUALS )   English

FORESTRY
    SKIDDERS

540B    B SERIES    

Purchase:    
Price (USD):    $195.46
Format:    

TM1139B  ( TEST MANUALS )   English

FORESTRY
    SKIDDERS

540B    B SERIES    

Purchase:    
Price (USD):    $90.78
Format:    
Print Format Options:
Standard $90.78
POD $65.15

NH Forester

I do have both 1139A and B. I will order the OM on Monday.

My powershift was rebuilt by John Deere (Nortrax) and I have all of the paperwork. The oil pump alone was $1795  :o

Thanks for the info.

Norse Proverb

Thank You Sponsors!