iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw buddy Opinions

Started by Cat-Face Timber, March 22, 2013, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat-Face Timber

So what is the going opinion of the Chainsaw buddy?
Looks like it might work, but looks can be deceiving.

SEMPER FI

clww

No doubt it would work, but it looks cumbersome to me, in that I think it would also "grab" a lot of unwanted debris. I've always taken the smaller stuff and placed it over another piece to elevate it off the ground. For the larger pieces, I cut them 3/4 of the way through, then rotate the log to finish it. For the huge pieces, I break out the LogRite to roll these.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

I got one, and used it for awhile and then tired of the extra weight on the bar. It does work, and works pretty well as far as doing what is expected...keeping the chain out of the dirt.
Ties up one saw, and with just one I didn't care for that inconvenience.

Found it quicker to go back to my old method for small diam. limb wood. That is either set it up on another limb or block, or kick my toe under it to get it up off the ground. Then stick the tip of the bar under and cut the limb. Takes very little time, and with a 20" bar, I don't even have to bend over.

And clww has a good plan for bucking firewood, IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Thanks, beenthere. :)
Expanding on that a little, usually after cutting several pieces, I throw these to one central point. These are either loaded up on the truck, or split. I usually start putting the limb sections on top of this pile, and cut them to length there. The pile gets bigger (higher) which decreases the likelihood of getting the chain into the dirt.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cat-Face Timber

SEMPER FI

martyinmi

I bought one a while back and really liked the way it works. If you have a stack of small diameter stuff you need cut up, it really saves a bunch of time.
Most of the time, however, I just cut a pickup load at a time, which usually amounts to felling anywhere between 4 and 8 dead Ash trees, dragging them out to a clearing, then cutting them up. There just isn't enough small stuff to justify it's continued use for me.
I still have it mounted to one of my CS 50 Homelites, but I've not taken it with me in a month or so.
I have a nephew who burns wood and also sells firewood. He cuts all of his wood in 12-16 foot lengths and loads it on his trailer and brings it home to cut up. It would really work well for him doing what he does, so I think I'll just give it to him.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

beenthere

One real good thing that the buddy does for sure, is stop those small wood pieces from becomming a projectile and slamming into your legs when the chain grabs them just right.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Marty you got some puny little ash up yonder in the swamp .It doesn't take a half dozen of ours to get a truck load .Usually two three truck loads per ash tree . ;D

martyinmi

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 26, 2013, 07:42:16 PM
Marty you got some puny little ash up yonder in the swamp .It doesn't take a half dozen of ours to get a truck load .Usually two three truck loads per ash tree . ;D
There you go again trying to start another type of war Unkie Al...this time it's the ash wars! :D

I'm a thinkin' that the reason It takes me a few more trees to get a load than you is because I'm still able to stack wood more than 2 foot high. ;)
When I go to the woods to get a load of wood, I come home with a LOAD! smiley_chop

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

beenthere

Hope you were not on the highway with that load.  :)
Expect just heading across the fields.
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

I hope he did not go on the road with that load. I would hate to see those saws fall off.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I've got four foot wooden sides on my Dodge for when I haul a big load. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

Marty has a load allright  :D

Logging logginglogging

I think those chainsaw buddys look cumbersome and anoying. I have a feeling i would get sick of that thing pretty fast. I rather stick to the old way of doing things.

Al_Smith

Out of curiosity I googled that buddy gizmo .Now I've seen some superfluous stuff in my life but that piece of gadgetry pretty much takes the cake .I can't in my wildest imagination see what good that thing would do anybody .

Thank You Sponsors!