iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of GPS do you have/recommend 2013 ?

Started by sprucebunny, March 21, 2013, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

My GPS was made in the year 2000. It was never all that useful because of poor reception and zero computer interface.
I've done lots of reading at the Garmin and Magellan sites. Magellan won't work with my Mac but I have access to a Windows computer.
What models do you use that are around $250 ??? Some models require you to buy a $100 topo map set. Many of the models, the map says it's topo but looks like one of those 3D/ feely maps and I don't like that...I want real Topo maps.

Thanks for your help.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

The GPS manufacturers have made been clever with that word "Topo", which isn't really a word. It could be one of two things. Topographical which shows contour lines of equal jumps in elevation, rivers and water bodies, roads, bridges, towers, dams and other ground features. Then there is topology which is names of places.

Which do you want? Maybe both. ;D However, for me, if I'm in New Brunswick, I already know where I am.

What a lot of forestry people are using is a Garmin Map76S. It's been out for awhile, but they like the ability to map a track. They seem to do well getting a fix on 3D differential which gives you elevation and not just X and Y. They use a third party utility called DNR Garmin to generate maps. I don't know the price of the GPS or if it's still available. It has a little bigger screen than those little Garmins have, like Etrex. These consumer GPS are quite limited in functions however, that's why they are $200-600. For the outdoors enthusiast I guess they work fine. Most folks will not be making maps, just using them to locate spots and trails, Geocaching, marking a feature and stuff.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I want the real USGS topographical type map.
Found a website where you can get them for free http://www.gpsfiledepot.com
so that solves that problem.

Ten years ago the Forester that came to my land had a Garmin MAP72 and he could interface with his computer and overlay the lines on a proper USGS topo map. I'd like to do something similar and I'd buy an older or used unit.

I've lost part of a boundry line and it will probably happen again. Most of them are somewhat visible on the ground but there are some problem spots. They have been blazed and taped but the trees are falling down. Some areas have been flooded so I can only go there in winter when there are fewer clues.

SwampDonkey

With DNRGArmin and another free utility called fGIS from Wisconsin DNR you can make maps. I think the DNRGarmin can generate a track file to import back into the GPS. I know I have taken shapefiles and converted to a track before. I used a property line shapefile and imported it into the Garmin to locate some thinning. As when I did monitoring of thinning on woodlots, the contractor often times gave you an aerial photo, but had the block marked someplace else from what it was on the ground. Found one block that was on mill ground, not a private woodlot. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Black_Bear

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 21, 2013, 11:25:11 PM
What models do you use that are around $250 ???

I am currently using a Garmin GPSmap 76Cx, but the most recent line of GPS by Garmin is the 78 series, which is much more expensive than the 76Cx. Price of the 76Cx is anywhere from $200 - 250, depending on where you shop. There are currently numerous units for sale with the 100K topo for less than $250 on eBay.

I use the 76Cx for all things forestry related - it has a more refined accuracy, kind of between map grade and navigation grade and generally down around 10 feet. I only use the Minnesota DNR Garmin package for downloading tracks and waypoints into ArcView, and for uploading shapefiles from ArcView to the GPS. I create the maps in ArcView. But Google Earth is also compatible with the 76Cx. I'm not sure about MAC compatibility. MN DNR Garmin software is freeware and can be downloaded from their website. I have nothing bad to say about Magellan, I have used it in the past, but I really like the 76Cx. Last I knew the 76S had 24MB capabilities and the Cx has 128MB capabilities on the micro SD card, and larger SD cards can be purchased and used.

Ed

Black_Bear

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 22, 2013, 04:56:59 AM
The GPS manufacturers have made been clever with that word "Topo", which isn't really a word. It could be one of two things. Topographical which shows contour lines of equal jumps in elevation, rivers and water bodies, roads, bridges, towers, dams and other ground features. Then there is topology which is names of places.

Here is the definition of topology, which only generally concerns GIS network managers. This definition was taken from an ESRI website:

Topology is the arrangement for how point, line, and polygon features share geometry. Topology is employed in order to:

- Constrain how features share geometry. For example, adjacent polygons such as parcels have shared edges,
  street centerlines and census blocks share geometry, adjacent soil polygons share edges, etc.
- Define and enforce data integrity rules (e.g., no gaps should exist between polygons, there should be no   
  overlapping features, and so on).
- Support topological relationship queries and navigation (e.g., to navigate feature adjacency and connectivity).
- Support sophisticated editing tools (tools that enforce the topological constraints of the data model).
- Construct features from unstructured geometry (e.g., to construct polygons from lines).

SwampDonkey

Websters defines it as a place or feature and where it sits on a map. I find that ESRI tries to redefine words. What they are actually defining there is spatial geometry. ;D

Bill Johnson

We use the Map 76, CXS 60 and 62's at work, the guys seem to like them. When we bought them we made sure to swap the manufacturer supplied chip for either a 16 or 32 bit chip that let us load a lot of different background information such as the entire 5 year harvest plan maps, roads layers etc.

Any one of these has a computer interface and most of the boys use DNRGarmin program when downloading tracklogs so the shift to ESRI is easier.

I don't use the GPS every day but I do carry the Map 60, and while I'm nowhere near as proficient with it as some of the others I still manage to run tracklogs etc.
Bill

SwampDonkey

I think Ken on here runs all his thinning strips and boundaries with a Garmin. Don't know the model, but I think a Map 76S as he's associated with the marketing boards (director) and the local one uses Map 76S's here. I've used them and Trimble. Currently I'm using a Trimble because shapefiles are seemless, they load into ArcPad 10 natively. DNR and the forest companies want shapefile maps here in NB for silviculture.

sprucebunny

Thanks Ed and Bill and Bill !

The MAP78 got poor reviews from marine users as being too complicated but I imagine it's not much different than the MAP76.... Might be the users...
The software for the MN DNR is only for Windows. I am a little overwhelmed by having to learn Windows and a new software program or two.... but that might be what I need to do.

It would be very handy to be able to go to a store and see how the different units actually function. Some of the other Garmin units have computer interfaces so there must be some way to use the info and import and export useful data.

Ken

I am using a Garmin Map 76S.  Considering the fact that I used a string box and compass for far too many years the Garmin with mapping feature is a godsend.  I have also had the regional property maps downloaded to the unit and it made my life much easier.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

You can use the others sprucebunny in the same way, but it's the screen size in those smaller units that are a turn off for some. And some of them have minimal memory. The thing about them all is it takes some getting used to to get to the right screens. And then to practice at making new tracks from a start point and saving them when you want to end a track. If you forget to save a the point of your track that you want to end it, then it keeps right on collecting points as long as it's on. But as far as getting a property line on it, if you can get a shapefile and then use the utility to bring it in then your set. Or contour maps or whatever. You can't do the same things as a mapping GPS. The Garmins are meant really for navigation. Software availability is why a Mac is no good to me because I can't use the software I need. Years ago the first GIS program I saw was being run on a Unix based Macintosh.

sprucebunny

Ken, the town maps in my town are terrible ! The lots aren't shaped right; it looks like a fifth grader did them. I've found that in other towns, too. For instance one lot I own is a rectangle with one corner cut off but on the town map it's just a rectangle ::) It's beside the point since none of them are available to download out here in the sticks.

Do any of you know anyone who is using the GPSMAP78 for forestry ???
The directions don't say anything about exporting data and more than one reviewer says that exportability and compatibility has been down graded from the GPSMAP76Cx.
The 76 models appear to have been discontinued. The 78 is affordable ( found new for $210 )

Thanks

SwampDonkey

Joan, the maps here are provincially done and have been available since 1998 online. They are updated online as soon as they are submitted by a surveyor for say a new house lot or farm amalgamation. On my GPS I can also view the aerial photos, which are very accurate as to roads and streams, in my experience. I've always been able to locate a thinning block 50-80 miles in the middle of no man's land without any troubles, except I carry a chainsaw to cut out a blow down or two from the forestry road. If it's beaver flooded I take a little walk id it's no more than a KM away. I can tell most times the distance by measuring the road on the GPS to the cut block. Some times the block is newer than the photo, but mostly not. ;D

We have one timber company here that is notorious for moving lines. Ignoring old evidence.

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

SwampDonkey

I think most Garmins do. You have to go from the track screen to another one showing area and distance traveled if I recall. The 76S I used gave area, don't know about the Cx. I believe the track has to be saved first for it to compute area.

Ford_man

I use a De Lorme in my truck, they are always sending me information on hand held gps and they are always offering Topo check out their website delorme.com you may find what you want. I have used it in my truck since 2003 update it every year it has about 20 times more than I will ever in it learn to use. I have mine on a laptop so I have a large screen.  splitwood_smiley

Black_Bear

Quote from: redprospector on March 23, 2013, 05:11:10 PM
Does the 76 CX do area calculations?

Yes, the 76Cx will do a rudimentary area calc: from the main menu enter the tracks screen. Once in the tracks screen hit the menu button and the area calculation feature is available. You then have to walk the perimeter, or at least I haven't found a way to calc area by waypoints, tracks or routes.

In the field I also use the Trimble Juno Series handheld with ArcInfo. This unit basically has full ArcView capabilities, including area calc by point or by drawing a closed polygon, but it is $1000+. For simple harvest block layout or recon I will use the Garmin - it's a preference thing. One guy I work with still uses the Garmin12. He just feels comfortable with it.

Black_Bear

Quote from: Ford_man on March 23, 2013, 05:52:26 PM
I use a De Lorme in my truck, they are always sending me information on hand held gps and they are always offering Topo check out their website delorme.com you may find what you want. I have used it in my truck since 2003 update it every year it has about 20 times more than I will ever in it learn to use. I have mine on a laptop so I have a large screen.  splitwood_smiley

One of the contractors I work with use DeLorme in the truck and in the field, and they are very happy with the field units and the computer software. The resolution on the aerials is really good. I send them shapefiles of the harvest blocks and they upload them into their DeLorme units, and so far we haven't had any problems. He can then walk directly to the blocks and lay his trails in. Comes in real handy when we are covering 100s of acres, or the blocks are 3000'+ from the landing. They even went over to Yarmouth for a free day of training that DeLorme offered.

SwampDonkey

Do you mean ArcPad? I didn't know ArcInfo was mobile.

John Mc

For anyone who is interested, there is free software for a Mac to get info in and out of various GPS units software programs, and other hardware (such as cameras). It's called GPSBabel.  Click on the downloads tab -- versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.  There is a spot to donate, if you wish, but that is not necessary to download the program.

I've only used it once, several years ago, so I'm no expert on its capabilities, but it seems to have a lot of options.

You can also run windows on most modern Mac computers, either by booting up in Windows, or by running Parallels, or other emulation software to run Windows in a separate window under the Mac OS.  I've used both options for some aviation specific programs that are only available in Windows, and have had good luck with it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sprucebunny

Thanks very much, John ! I'll try that tonight.

My Mac was new last fall but doesn't have Windows ( as far as I know...) I would be afraid to get stuck there  :D

Found my lost property line so the pressure is off but I still want a GPS that works in the woods. Took my old one with me today and it worked when I held it out in front of me. Would probably work Velcroed to my helmet.... but it has no map in it; at least no elevation lines, just a grey screen with roads. I can't figure out how to get rid of old waypoints... it's really aggravating.

Have my eye on  76CSx.

woodtroll

I have contractors bringing in all models of gps, mostly garmins. They have a limited function and are relatively simple to use. You just can't do as much.
We have also used Delorme's they have more ability but then are a little more complicated.
Either way you have to learn them by using them.

Delorme pn's can calculate acres with out walking the perimeter, handy in estimating fire size before it can be walked. It works like a dot to dot.
The Delorme offers data that can be put on the gps as layers.
The big draw back is the screen size.

we will soon see GIS capabilities improve for the "smart phones" which does not help much when you do not have cell coverage in the boonies.

Just try to find a model you fill comfortable with, then figure some time to learn it.

SwampDonkey

Yeah here in NB, when you leave the settlements there is no cell. One of the reasons I gave up cell phone. Can't even get it at the house, but there are 3 towers within 10 miles. All behind hills.

Where we work and submit thinning maps, the forestry companies won't except data off those Garmins and such. The data has to be post processed or collected with higher precision. Personally, I find it's an unneccessary hang up. I have found them to be just as accurate. The marketing boards use them and submit the resulting areas to DNR with no problems. The companies use Garmins to do their density plots though.

mad murdock

Not sure on the price points , but as far as maps, I think deLorme has a very nice line of handheld units, they have some nice features for the $$.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!