iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old oil for saw

Started by Peter Drouin, March 21, 2013, 09:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

With all my stuff I have use motor oil, I use it on a lot of things, but I was thinking if I filter it I can use it for bar oil, or mix it 50 50 with new stuff, What do you all think :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tyb525

That's one of those topics you can go round and round with people about it. Some people use used oil, some don't.

I don't cause I think it'll clog the pump up, and it's not so good for the environment. I use new bar oil. Some people use canola oil, it's better for the environment.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

I myself drop it off at the garages that need it for heating oil or I save it my for my brush pile fires. I use to use diesel fuel to start fires,but at $4 a gallon now,I don't think so.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Axe Handle Hound

My father's been running used diesel oil in his saws for lube for years.  Hasn't had any issues so far. 

sawguy21

Without a tackifier the oil will just fly off the end of the bar making it useless for lubrication where it's really needed. Here we pay a recycle fee so might as well return it for disposal.
I had a customer use the drainings from the crawler in his saws. He squawked about the cost of bars and oil pumps, I told him I was only too happy to empty his wallet. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Knute

Years ago I put used oil in my old Pioneer 1200A and never had any problems. For years now I have used regular detergent oil and it has worked better for me than bar oil.

clww

This came up on here awhile back. One member (if I remember correctly) posted that he strained his used oil through cheesecloth two times and used if afterwards.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

I pour it on the ground-up asphalt that I buy and spread out for a drive.
Sets it up almost like hot rolled asphalt.
Works great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jiles

I try to look at most things, with an open mind. I think that if it was good enough to run the vehicle, those last miles, it would be good enough for a chainsaw chain.
I do not use motor oil for chain lubrication because it slings off too bad and evidently would not lube as well.
Satisfy needs before desires

John Mc

My used oil all goes to a friend with an oil burner used for heat in his shop.  I use new B&C oil in my saws.  In some of the places I cut, I'm required to use the veggie-oil stuff, so now I just use it all the time, rather than have to keep track of what I last filled up with. 

The canola-based bar & chain oil isn't cheap, but it's been working well for me.  About the only problem I've had is that some brands of veggie oil will stiffen up on the chain if you leave it sitting in the off season.  Sometimes it's so stiff it's hard to get the chain moving. I can take it off the bar hold one end of the chain while the other end sticks out horizontally. It doesn't take much to free it up, though, and once it does it's back to running fine.

I do have the impression that the veggie-based B&C oil lubricates better than some of the petroleum based oils I've used (and that's what the veggie oil manufacturers claim, but then everyone claims their stuff is the best).

There was one time I was very relieved I was using veggie-based B&C oil:  I had left a jug on the floor of our mud room. When I passed by a little later, there was my son (less than 2 years old at the time) sitting in a big puddle of bar and chain oil with the open gallon jug laying on it's side. It had soaked into his pants and diaper, was all over his shirt, hair and face. I had no idea he could even get the thing open. 

What really scared me was it was around his mouth, and I had no idea how much he'd swallowed.  I called the company and they said "no big deal. The only reason this isn't considered 'food grade' is because we don't use stainless steel vats and sterilize everything as often as we would have to for food related products. There are some additives, but none are toxic.  The worst thing that will happen in that things may run right through him and out the other end until this clears his system."

We'd have been in a bit of a panic if this was petroleum-based oil.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lumberjack48

At one time we had two trucks, two skidders, feller buncher, two pickups, two cars, and lots of used oil. We were running up to six chainsaws some days. I used all of our used oil as chain oil, i never had any issues with it. It was still lubricating a $7000. diesel engine, it was still good enough for a bar an chain. If my oilers would have plugged up or quit working and seen or had excessive ware on the bar or chain i would have never used it. The 140 or 90 weight i used in the summer, cut with a little number one fuel oil. You can also get the cheap STP from Walmart and add that to it. It used to be only $1.00, add one to every gal. and you've got about the best bar an chain oil you can by for the money.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Chuck White

Around this area, everybody used to use old oil, but now most use the commercial bar & chain oil.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

:D More of the great oil debate in action I see .

Actually believe it or not somebody did a test on old crankcase oil and it did pretty good .Now I save mine for a buddy with a black oil burner .I also refuse to work on one somebody ran black oil in .To each their own though .

tyb525

Bar and chain oil have added tackifiers to keep the oil on the chain longer. I can easily tell the difference, even with new 15W40 motor oil, it flings off the bar a lot faster than the b&c oil.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mrcaptainbob

I ran used motor oil for a couple years. One day cutting with a friend and I ran out. He offered some of his from TSC. I became a convert. I haven't had to purchase a new barn in two years. Not to mention how much longer the chains last. I don't know why the any of this, I'm just going by the results of personal experience.

Al_Smith

Oil actually never "wears out " it just becomes contaminated .Back in the days of non detergent oil you could fill a five gallon bucket,let it set a tad and pour off 3-4 gallons of clean oil .Non detergent kept particles in suspension .Detergent oil keeps things kind of homogenized for want of a better term .

As far as using motor oil for bar lube ,it works .It's just the fact that with no tacking agent you will fling a lot of it off but it will still lubricate .You'd probabley not save a dime though over normal bar oil because you'd go through a lot of it .

bandmiller2

Well filtered oil outher than its messy works, but they will call you the black streak,the products of combustion are not very good for you.I don't use that much B&C and its no expence to buy it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I actually get bar oil for nothing .Leakers from a packaging plant .

My buddy the tree trimmer has a brother in law who gets it .Now as for him ,he's anal about things .If it doesn't say Stihl he doesn't use it .Fact he buys bar oil from a dealer at a reduced cost by the pallett full .Kinda pricey but that's the way he runs .

Both his splitter and mine though are running on about 7 gallons of Dextron 2 each from that place .He's not too anal about that . ;)

lumberjack48

The only time i've seen excessive ware, is when somebody has run the chain to tight. This is one of the hardest things on the saw, bar, roller nose. chain, drive sprocket, crank seal and bearings and takes more power. When running a saw, if the chain stops dead when you let up on the throttle its to tight. After tightening the chain, give it a spin with your hand, it should make about a half a revolution freely.
No matter what chain oil i've ever used, when i hit the throttle, there it goes fling off the end of the bar. I never witnessed any lack of lubrication when using used oil, the straps and drivers were black, a sure sign there getting oil. I never had excessive ware on the rivets, straps, bar rail, roller nose, or the oiler its self. I used 8 to 12 tanks of gas and oil a day, if i would have noticed any excessive ware, i would have been the first not to use it. Being cheap had nothing to do with it, it was there, why not put it to good use.
I'm not telling or recemending anybody to use it, this is my experiences when using it. ;D
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Peter Drouin

Thanks all for the info, Im going to mix it 1/2 new and 1/2 old oil, that should work :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

HolmenTree

I used old oil once for bar oil 30 yrs ago and never did it again. My logging partner changed the gear oil in his skidder's differentials, he said he let the used oil sit for a week in pails. So we had the big idea to run it in my new Jonsered 920. Within a week the oil pump in the saw stopped working due to steel filings still suspended in the oil,
BTW gear oil stinks too :laugh:
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Yes indeed it does about like a bucket full of fermented skunk butt holes .Ponder that picture  .

thecfarm

I'd rather picture Magicman's toes.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!