iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planking mills

Started by iain, April 14, 2004, 11:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

just burnt out 075 on one end of a 48" planking mill (borrowed)
what about a pair of dolmar ps9000 as a pair of replacements?
talked to the dealer says he's built a few with the 9000 and had no probs
 will be milling mostly oak/ash/beech in locations i cant get the lt40 and for making wide table tops/work surfaces etc
also recomendations for the buisness ends of a 60" mill
i'm making the frame made in the next couple of weeks if i can get the time

oldsaw-addict

How did you burn out an 075? those saws are like tanks, you can try and try and try but you just cant kill em'.  they just get worn out after a long period of time and you just re ring the saw and keep going, unless you had a lean seizure.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Oregon_Rob

Welcome!
If you are looking at new saws, the first two that come to mind are the Stihl 088 and the Husky 3120. Gut feel tells me that the 088 may hold up better, but also a lot of variables, mostly how they are set up, what you feed them for mix and how they are maintained. A lot of discussions in the archives, do some searching and also my want to check out the Yahoo milling site http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/milling/
Chainsaw Nerd

oldsaw-addict

Now that I think about it, you should talk to Dozer Dan for a PP7900 Dolmar chainsaw, they cut right up there with a stock 088 at about 1/2 the weight. and the Dolmar including the Power Porting process is still cheaper than getting a Stihl 088 or a Husky 3120XP would be. OR if you're willing to pay some serious $$$ and go rambo on the logs you could just go out and buy an old Stihl 090G model, then you would be the KING of the forest with no contest, and you would be the tired king at the end of the day lugging it around. I'll suggest the PP7900 from Dan Henry since he is a well respected saw builder here on Forestry Forum.

iain

basic mistake no one >:( then getting distracted before i drained the tank) the dealer should have parts availability   and price this am
a pair of 88's are $2788 here with a pair of dol's $2028 and the husky's $2698 things aint that cheap in the uk and im looking to replace what i borrowed
how much for a pair of henried 88's as now one here that i can find has heard of a 90 although it rings a bell was it 125cc knife through butter type of beast?
im looking at the 88's for the 60" bar   three 8 foot tables and im in profit on the buying and setting up :)

Ianab

Iain
Yeah.. 090g is a 125cc beast with a 2:1 reduction gearbox built in. Should be able to pull any chain thru almost anything  8) The 090AV is the 136cc model, no gearbox though. I'm glad mine is bolted to my mill as I'd rather not be lugging the thing around with a 5 ft bar on the end of it!
The saws aren't being made any more, although they sometimes come up as new old stock in strange places like NZ.
It would be worth rebuilding one if you did come across it as they seem about the best milling saw ever.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

I'm reading this as Iain is using two powerheads and I think you all are talking about one, right?
That may be how the 075 went bad to begin with. Just a thought. ::)

iain

nope it went bad because it got tanked with neat petrol and your right it was one of a pair one at either end of a 48"bar you'll a be pleased to no that parts are still available here $595 for piston&barrel no bearings, gaskets or gudgy pin found yet with is why im looking to replace both heads

woodbeard

Hi, Iain. I think the Dolmars should do you as well as any other. The 075 is about 20cc bigger, but the 9010 is lighter and revs higher. With 2 saws, I don't imagine low end torque is a real problem. The 090g is 107cc, the 090 is 137. Both are powerhouses, but heavy as h---.
Good luck,
George

iain

how far to west florida from here?  moocho postage miles me thinks

Stan

Doubt it would be more'n 3000 miles, whats a couple of pounds shipping when you've saved a few pence on the price.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

oldsaw-addict

Good point, I'll check it out tonight and see how much it would cost.

iain

just spent the afternoon planking with the rebuilt mill touch wood all seams ok slabbing beech 91" long 35"wide 4min20sec to get from one end to the other think we should be able to get that down to 3min50 when the rythum kicks in got a new boy on the other end :)

Thank You Sponsors!