iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

40 hp electric motor

Started by ArborJake, March 21, 2013, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArborJake

I just got an electric motor given to me from a local brewery. It is the same as the motor that powers my saw mill so I thought I might keep it for a spare unless a better use for it comes along. There are two three phaze motors and I was wondering why they are configured this way anyone care to take a stab at it.

thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Larry

If the small motor is single phase your looking at a pony start rotary phase converter.  I missed the part about both motors being three phase.  Now I'm not sure what it is.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SPIKER

Quote from: Larry on March 21, 2013, 05:50:27 PM
If the small motor is single phase your looking at a pony start rotary phase converter.

This also would be my best guess and they would be wired to a single phase line with the 3rd phase line coming feeding back into a junction box where 3 phase could then be MADE using these two motors.   there also should be some Caps and or Inductors in-line with the motor starters that would fire these two motors.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

drobertson

I have a 40 hp roto phase, no pony start, this is a wierd application to me, almost looks like a generator, or else, its not 3 phs, and it is a pony start,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ChopperDan

I agree it sure looks like a rotary phase converter. Could you post a better pic of the motor name plate of the smaller motor. If not what are the colors on the small motor lead. (Brown, Orange, Yellow, (Black, Red, Blue(Black, Black, Green))) My guess is it is 220v single phase motor.

Dan
550xpg
562xp
Makita 6421 converted to 7900 X2
Hd SuperSpitter

mometal77

A spare is always great... i keep running into 3 phase parts here all the time.  Its an 1800 rpm what is the horse on the thing?
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

scsmith42

I too think that it is a pony start phase converter.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Al_Smith

I don't think the small motor is a single phase unit .The simple fact is were it a single phase it would require some huge starting caps to both roll it's self plus a big 40 motor from a standing start .
It could be a pony starter or it could a "Rube Goldberg ' attempt of using a small three phase to roll over a larger motor to get it passed the large amperage draw on a start up .Usually on something like that they use a type of compensator start but anything is possible I suppose .

scsmith42

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 24, 2013, 03:42:44 PM
I don't think the small motor is a single phase unit .The simple fact is were it a single phase it would require some huge starting caps to both roll it's self plus a big 40 motor from a standing start .
It could be a pony starter or it could a "Rube Goldberg ' attempt of using a small three phase to roll over a larger motor to get it passed the large amperage draw on a start up .Usually on something like that they use a type of compensator start but anything is possible I suppose .

Al, good points....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Wick

Look at the nameplate on both motors,or did you already? The big one looks like a Baldor. Doesn't help with the question, I just recognize those motors.  8)
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Thank You Sponsors!