iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hate Windows 8 !

Started by Qweaver, March 20, 2013, 03:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I hate this new system!  Just give me XP back.  Who makes these stupid changes?  I've been building and using computers since the TIs that you had to program to use.  This is a huge step backwards.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Den Socling

People have been known to buy old computers to get back to XP. We use MMI software. You have to buy new software for Windows 8.

muddstopper

I had a TI once. I aint loving windows 8 either

Mooseherder

It is a step backwards and takes a while to get used to.
You can open the desktop tile and operate that way also.

Ianab

It sure is...

You do sometimes have downgrade rights to use previous versions of windows, and we are currently taking customers back to Win7 on all the machines we sell, as are most business organisations. Win 7 is enough like XP, technically better an imporvement, and pretty well supported by software now. You don 't want to go back to XP as it's "end of life", support will stop for it soon, and it's not supported on most of the hardware. You do need the "Pro" version to downgrade though.
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=6XowJpxqrLV

But MS seems to make a habit of making a good version of windows, then a lemon... XP = good. Vista = lemon, Win 7 = good, Win 8 is the lemon again. We will probably keep selling machines with Win 7 until Win 8 is replaced with something useful...  A Win 8 with an XP front end would be fine...

QuoteYou can open the desktop tile and operate that way also.
Yeah, that's what we do on systems where we are stuck with Win 8, customise then to avoid the "Tiles" screen totally, and go straight to a the desktop with normal icons and menus.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

Now let me get this straight ,if you have XP pro you can upgrade ? If so I'm in like Flynn because that's what it is .

OlJarhead

I still build my own (latest is an 8-core AMD that I love) and refuse to go to 8...but I did install 7 and frankly I'm quite happy with it, specially the part where it uses all 8 gigs of ram I have :)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Ianab

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 20, 2013, 04:50:18 PM
Now let me get this straight ,if you have XP pro you can upgrade ? If so I'm in like Flynn because that's what it is .

Nay, other way around. If you are stuck with Win 8 Pro, you can upgrade, to Win 7..   :D

QuoteI'm quite happy with it, specially the part where it uses all 8 gigs of ram I have

That's the sort of reasons that XP needs to be retired, it wont support the newer hardware properly. Win 8 has some nice features, but it's native interface is designed for a touch screen tablet. Hey, some of us still like our mouse and multiple monitors, and still use mice you know?  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tyb525

I still run XP on the desktop I built several years ago with no problems, and frankly I won't be bothered when support for it ends, Microsoft has never been of any help to me.

I run Ubuntu (linux) on my laptop and love it to death. The only reason it isn't on the desktop is cause the rest of the family uses it, and doesn't want to learn a new system.

It's amazing how little resources are used by ubuntu, I can run it on my 12 year old crappy laptop and it runs programs even better than my desktop with XP. Granted a lot of programs don't support it, but there are alternative programs that make up for most of it (like OpenOffice).
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Warbird

Linux and Mac OS X are great.  Just throwing that out there.  ;)

tyb525

Of course Linux is not as user-friendly, but if you're somewhat of a computer nerd like me, it's great ;). I'm not a fan of Apple but I'll admit OS X is better than what MS is offering right now....
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Warbird

OS X rocks, once you're used to the GUI.  Having a unix backend is awesome.

Al_Smith

Now why can't they make things simple for simple minded people like me ? Fer crying out loud you about have to have a degree in computer science just to run the stupid things any more .

Okay it's not so bad at work with those ABB robots but I get paid well for it. If I fumble the ball I still get paid .No pay on this home thing ,frustration .

Ianab

QuoteOf course Linux is not as user-friendly,

Don't know...

I just downloaded the new version of SUSE, installed it on an old P4. It just worked, and looks a lot like XP / Win7. Arguably it's MORE user friendly then Windows these days.  ::)

SwampDonkey

I'm still back on XP on a laptop. All my programs are XP compatible and just got a printer past summer than runs with XP. So until this dies, I'm an XP man. My GPS and software required Windows, so I won't be going Mac. Also I tried a Mac OSX machine and it drove me nuts. I couldn't find nothing and when a file was downloaded, couldn't find that neither. Nor could it's owner, 'nuff said on that. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Warbird on March 20, 2013, 05:48:21 PM
Linux and Mac OS X are great.  Just throwing that out there.  ;)

I agree, if you ever go to a Mac.....you'll never go back. You will love it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

I've never been sold on them. I'm still on a Windows box. I hear lots of complaints but I guess I must be lucky because unless the computer out right has died I've never had much for trouble with the OS. And even if a computer goes down, that's a hardware failure, not an OS fault. ;D On the old Macs, nothing was more frustrating when met with that spinning disk that never stopped twirling. You knew the system just locked up and say goodbye to your work. :D Worked with an SE once doing stats work, and if you ejected a Zip disk it would sometimes lock everything up real good. Those early Mac's didn't like SCSI interfaces too good. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I have XP, and also a Vista computer. Also have a Mac and that is the least favorite of the three. The XP is the best. Prolly because it is more convenient to manage without being "managed" by the "cloudiness" of the other two. I dislike having things happen that are unknowns and having things "lost" that I know are in there, but cannot find.
With XP, I know where things are at.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had XP before and loved it. But with the Apple Mac, my I-Phone, lap top and printer are all tied together. I like being able to print things while in the field and it being ready when I get home. Plus, if someone steals my lap top or my phone or I lose my phone in the woods, I can track it down to it's precise location.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tyb525

Poston, you can do that with other systems, I guess the difference is they pretty much give it to you already set up for that. I know I can do that with my android phone. I couldn't do that with my laptop though, unless the middle of the woods has Wifi ;)

clearcut

While it might not help if you leave your laptop on a stump out in the woods, Prey is open source software for most platforms that allows you to lock down, locate, or remotely wipe your missing computer, cell phone or tablet.

http://preyproject.com/

Free and paid accounts available.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

SwampDonkey

Windows devices are linked together with ActiveSync or wireless networking. And most all-in-one HP deskjets today don't even need a computer. You can copy from it like a photo copier or stick a thumb drive or memory card into it and print off the photos, fax from it and not even have the computer on. I have a GPS which is like Windows in a handheld. But where I work has no cellphone coverage so locating it if lost isn't going to do much good, no cell. Plus if I lost this yellow 1 lb brick of plastic, which is always in my hand, then the bears have probably ate me up anyway. It's not something you put into your pocket. ;D Plus you can't use them I-machines out in the bad weather like pouring down rain and snow. ;D Some weeks it never stops raining, don't get paid sitting in the car counting rain drops. ;)

doctorb

So, if you were going to buy an inexpensive PC that just needed to run the Internet, WP, Excel without gaming and major film downloads, what would you purchase?  That's what I need in my work office, and they all come with Windows 8. I have a iMac at home, but thats not an option at work.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

I've always gone Toshiba laptop, I still have an old machine in a drawer that still runs fine. However I think it's 650 mHtz. This one I'm on is 1.66 Ghtz, which by the latest and greatest standard, is behind the times. But still works and does all I need. ;)

Qweaver

So, how much work would it be to replace win 8 with win 7.  I guess I would have to buy Win  7.   I'm a retired networking instructor but when I retired I swore that I would never learn anything about or work on computers ever again as lone as I live.  Win 8 may make me break that promise!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!