iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to find motor for sharpener build?

Started by Delawhere Jack, March 20, 2013, 01:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I'm going to try my hand at building a band sharpener. The motor for the grind wheel is easy to find, but I need one to power the band advancing paw and cam. Any thoughts where I might find a DC motor w/ a worm gear reduction unit? I'd be looking for an output shaft speed of 30-45 RPM. I'm wondering what sort of equipment might use a motor like this that I could canabalize.

Thanks,
JC

Al_Smith

Old variable  speed drill motor might work .

DeepWoods

Probably not what your looking for, but new ones can be had from Graingers.  The one that is on my Cats Claw sharpener is a Dayton DC motor with worm drive.  As I remember, they were not cheap, around $250. But does just what you want it to do.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

bedway

bandmiller2

The Dayton DC motor is used to give you a variable speed,I just set mine in the middle.If you got a gear reduction box and used a regular AC motor and belt you could come close.If you could find someone close to you with a grinder and get a good look and measurements it would be a great help. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

millstead

i have seen people use windshield wiper motor they are 12volt dc or maybe a power window motor. what are you using for a power supply and how many vots with the output be

Al_Smith

Tell you what I did once .My daughter who has a string of degrees behind her name a mile long was doing a demonstration at Ohio State U  to show the virtues of an electric drive vehical . .She was completing her degree in environmental communication at the time .

She needed a little teaching aid so I took a blower motor out of an old Ford truck and connected a reostat to it making it infinately variable .Worked great ,she got an A plus for her efforts .

So with some forethought it might be possible to take a gear reduction motor from say a windshield wiper and do likewise with some ingenuity .With a reduction unit it probabley could maintain enough torque at reduced voltage to index the machine where as most likely a direct drive would not .A wiper motor has some pretty good torque .

Brian_Rhoad

millwright

Another good DC motor for these kind of projects is a power window motor, they are compact and very powerfull.

Al_Smith

While at work today I surfed flea bay and found a gear reduction 12 volt DC motor ,reversable that ran 50 RPM .

Delawhere Jack

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking that I've seen a reduction gearbox (or two or three) in the family's stash of treasures. I'll need to do some digging.

Thank You Sponsors!