iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing foam

Started by xlogger, March 20, 2013, 05:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I have a local small factory that makes CNC tools that what me to cut up some big foam blocks today into smaller pieces.  Has anyone ever tried this before? I don't see why the mill should not be able to do it. I was thinking about putting a  bag over dust port to collect the dust so it would not get mix into my wood dust that I pill up for some reason, not sure what I'm saving it for now.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

redbeard

I have a couple really fine tooth bi metal blades with hardly any set that never did work  for wood cutting. A guy I use to get some carbide blades from wanted me to try them. I have used them on plastic pipe. They would work great for cutting the foam. I would keep the blade speed slow your probably going to have to clean blade and wheels a few times.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chuck White

I would also recommend some clean water lube to keep the blade cool.

If the blade heats up, the foam could melt and stick to the blade, then you'd have a real mess!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

billporterfield

Why not look into a "hot wire foam cutting settup" remove blade and rig a cutting wire. just a thought.

http://www.demandproducts.com

bandmiller2

Logger,I'd stop by their plant and get some scrap pieces to try, you may have to change nothing from your regular procedure. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wdncno

I recut some foam dock billets for a guy in the fall. No problems, a lot easier than wood.  If you're doing a lot, you're going to have to deal with the dust.

Brad_S.

I did some once, they 4x8 panels that needed to be cut down. I had to add some 1/2 sheets of plywood backers because the force of the blade pushing against the fairly thin (2") panels was causing them to bend and flap, in one case breaking the panel and in other cases not leaving a square cut. By sandwiching the foam in plywood, I added support and didn't leave clamp marks. I didn't cut the plywood, just used it to support the foam.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

pineywoods

For the rigid stuff, scrounge up some nicrome wire, a defunct electric clothes drier is a good source. Stretch it across a wooden bow. Hook your battery charger to each end. Not much limit to the size you can cut. I've used this method to slice 2 inch thick sheets into 2 one inch sheets.

For  the soft upholstery foam, use the wife's electric carving knife..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Xlogger,

I mill reclaimed and factory second stress skin panels on a regular basis.  It works fine and is so fast that I have never had a blade heat up enough to burn the material.

Good luck,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

beenthere

Quotecut up some big foam blocks

My first question would be what is this foam like?
And what size "blocks" are we discussing?

Foam like in a mattress is one thing, but high density foam like used in a watercooler or the sheet goods is another.

Or does "foam" identify what it is and I'm not in tune with what that might be??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

taylorsmissbeehaven

I don't know what kinda foam your working either but had a buddy in the mountains built a machine to cut grooves in 4x8x 2" thick sheets of foam for some type of alternative building project. Took a couple of attempts but he got it. One attempt had a blade that got so hot it melted the pieces right back together!!! :D Anyhow sounds like a good project. If you have time I'd like to check it out,lend a hand if possible. Send me a PM if your interested I'm right around the corner from you. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

alecs

If it's foam for CNC tooling, it's probably something like RenShape, which is essentially like monolithic Bondo.  I've cut it using regular woodworking tools (router bits) and it's fine.  I don't think it would pose much trouble for a bandsaw.  The dust, however, will go everywhere, as others have said.

http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShape450MediumD.htm
From that website:  "RenShape 450 can be machined using standard woodworking tools and will not result in objectionable dust particles when planed, milled, sawed or drilled. It resists warping and can be easily painted and finished for appearance and prototype models. "

Not sure I agree about the dust, but the rest sounds consistent with my experience

sealark37

For polyurethane foam, use silicone spray to lube the blade.

xlogger

I cut it today and it did fine, no problem. Dust did go everywhere. He was pleased.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

beenthere

Great.
Would be nice to know just what it was.  ::)

and...... no pics, didn't happen.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jemclimber

Hey Piney,   

Will a digital battery charger work or does it have to be the old analog style? I've wanted to do this for other projects.
lt15

xlogger

Come to find out it was for blanks for demo on their machine to make. The foam was the hard type like you use in coolers. They had several large pieces but they only wanted one cut today it was about 30X30" and maybe 4 ft long. Sorry I'm bad on pictures.

Kcwoodbutcher

I've cut the urethane for a sign maker who did CNC work. It cut fine, no melting and the blade left what looked like woodgrain finish,
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

pineywoods

Quote from: Jemclimber on March 20, 2013, 04:56:24 PM
Hey Piney,   

Will a digital battery charger work or does it have to be the old analog style? I've wanted to do this for other projects.
Don't matter. the idea is to heat the wire nearly red hot while keeping it stretched tight.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jasperfield

I'm with billporterfield.

Remove (or don't use) the blade and use a "hot wire" powered by the mill (or otherwise) and cut the foam.

No dust, waste. fragments, etc. Just a clean, straight cut.

Jemclimber

Thanks Piney,
I'll put that up in the hard drive and hopefully be able to pull it down when I need it next.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!