Sponsors:

Axes for timber framing

Started by Spruce_Goose, March 19, 2013, 08:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D L Bahler

I know Jakob,
He is a very kind and generous man.

I don't know Janis, I cannot speak to his character

I do know that Jakob began the initiative.
But I do not believe Jakob would turn a guy out and say such things without a good reason.
I worked with him on some of is designs, providing some specifications for a couple of old tools, and giving him a number of pictures in the recreation of a specific historic axe.

Magicman

Janis Nimanis (from whose name the "John Neeman" in English was derived) built the Forestry Forum Axes that were auctioned off.  When John was burned the building of the second axe had to wait for his recovery. 

I personally was having an axe built during that time and I also had to wait for John's recovery.  I emailed Jacob (Jekabs Dimiters) several times during John's recovery.  No axe or knife building was done until John was able to resume working.  I also had John to build me a knife which was the last item that he built under the "John Neeman" name.

Last year John's new company "Autine" contributed three (3) axes to the Forestry Forum that were auctioned off.  This was John's way of showing his appreciation to the Forestry Forum as well as to the several FF members that made personal contributions to him during and after his recovery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D L Bahler

Yes it does appear both are decent, quality people
no doubt they also both have their own negative aspects. We are all human, after all.
It's a shame things had to happen as they did but, again, we don't know the story.
I don't think it does us good to figure out either

I have a tool made by Jakob before Janis was in the picture, I take that to mean it was forged by Chris.
Having made my connections with Jakob, I intend to retain my loyalty because loyalty is important to me. For those who worked with Janis, the same I would also suggest -stay with who you made connections with. Not as a matter of taking sides, but being loyal and fare

Now as to the poster's question,
either of these 3 companies mentioned are going to give you top of the line tools
Either will be able to put off custom work

When it comes to metallurgy, I'm going to step out and say more than likely, Müller has the edge there for 2 reasons: 1 they have 300 years of experience behind them and 2 they are Austrian

Personally, If I want to buy a traditional Central European tool I would get it from Müller because they know exactly what they are doing. If I want a custom made tool, I go to Jakob because I have done work with him before.

Magicman

Quote from: D L Bahler on February 27, 2014, 11:21:33 AM
Yes it does appear both are decent, quality people. 
There is no question in my mind about that.  I had many email and PM conversations with Jacob from both a personal as well as a business nature and I formed a trusting opinion of him.

I was disappointed to read the negative portions of the John Neeman Tools "Story".  This could well have been left out because it served no purpose to expose the growing pains of the company.

Both John and Jacob are Forestry Forum members.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!